Sandy Bridge Xeons earlier than expected (IDF info inside)?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sahib7, Sep 13, 2010.

  1. Sahib7 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2010
    #1
    Quote from IDF's press release from today:

    How likely will there be a new Mac Pro before September 2011 (that's when my student discount expires...)?
    Previous expected release date was Q4 2011/Q1 2012....
     
  2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
  3. Cindori macrumors 68040

    Cindori

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Sweden
    #3
    Apple will not update the Mac Pro earlier just because newer CPU's become available earlier. They will follow their own release schedule.

    The 6-core was out for several months before it appeared in the Mac Pro.

    Also, it says "...scheduled for production in the second half of 2011", which should mean release several months later, aka Q4 or Q1 '11, so no news really.
     
  4. strausd macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    Texas
    #4
    Who knows, it might not be til early 2012 til the new Mac Pros come out.
     
  5. Sahib7 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2010
    #5
    It's a difficult decision.
    I'm on the verge of buying a Hex Mac Pro but it's quite an investment for a student so I would like to get the best machine possible (for my budget).
    As I will only be eligible for the 12% student discount till September 2011 I would wait for Sandy Bridge IF it will be released till then. Otherwise I will order the machine this week...
     
  6. Ravich macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2009
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #6
    What will the mac pro be used for? If you are worried about your investment, either get a refurbished 09 model, or get a base 2010 model and upgrade to a hex when the prices drop.
     
  7. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #7
    Production is scheduled to start in H2 2011 but that can be July or December. It won't hit the stores before late 2011 or early 2012 and again, it will likely be mainstream parts, like with SB
     
  8. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #8
    Kinda nuts that 22nm is in fabs as we speak. Otellini said 22nm will ship in the second half 2011, so will probably be late in the year yeah, but lets hope not. Makes me second-guess my planned i5 2500K upgrade as soon as they come out :eek:
     
  9. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #9
    You will be saying the same thing next year when Intel talks about Haswell :rolleyes: There is always something faster coming out
     
  10. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    #10
    Doubt they'll be out by then, they are giving themselves a lot of leeway when it comes to production. From the quote production can start as early as mid June or it could even start a few months later. Whenever they start production it will take months to build the chips to meet demand, and then you have to take into account whether apple will be one of the first to get the chips. Apple waited months to adopt the chips that just came out so i doubt they will get them immediately. The Q4 release date sounds probable because i highly doubt that intel would start production right at the beginning of the 2nd half of the year.
     
  11. Sahib7 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2010
    #11
    Primarily for photo- and videoediting (Lightroom RAW-editing, iMovie) and occasional games (Starcraft, Diablo).

    You're right but I don't expect the hex's price to drop considerably because it is and it will be the high end CPU for that socket as a new socket will be introduced with Sandy Bridge. And btw changing the CPU will void your warranty (in contrast to upgrading RAM/HDDs/SDDs/GPUs).

    btw: there is no point in buying a refurb as they are more expensive than new 2010 Mac Pros (with 12% EDU-discount) in my country (Germany).
     
  12. philipma1957 macrumors 603

    philipma1957

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Howell, New Jersey
    #12
    I think getting a base 2.8 with the graphics card upgrade would hold you for a while. it would be 2300 plus 180 or 2480 with the student discount. not counting sales tax. if you sell it next year you would get 2k clear for it.
     
  13. Sahib7 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2010
    #13
    Prices are:
    2.8 base: 2287
    3.2: 2638
    3.33 Hex: 3343

    All with 5870.
    EDU-Prices in Euro incl. tax.
     
  14. wonderspark macrumors 68030

    wonderspark

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Location:
    Oregon
    #14
    If it were my decision, based on your needs and desires, I'd order a 3.2 quad today.
     
  15. Sahib7 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2010
    #15
    3.2 might have the best value for money but 3.33 Hex is more future-proof as it is almost 50% faster with optimized software.
    So the computer will get faster over time (as software gets better)...

    The only two things missing in Westmere vs. Sandy Bridge are USB3 and SATA-6GB. Both could be upgraded via PCI-E.
    So maybe there is no real point in waiting....
     
  16. wonderspark macrumors 68030

    wonderspark

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Location:
    Oregon
    #16
    Well, ok... but you said you were going to use Lightroom and iMovie. If you intend to start using more powerful tools in the future, there might be some merit to the several hundred dollar jump.

    It sounds like you already made your decision, and hope to get justification of your choice from a consensus of others. It doesn't matter what advice anyone else gives you. What matters is what will satisfy your wants and needs. Wants do have value, because if you buy a system that leaves you wishing you had bought the top-of-the-line, the stress of your regret will shorten your lifespan. :p
     
  17. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    #17
    Do you know that the Mac Pro 2009 was updated a few weeks before the 35 and 55 series chips were offically relesaed? (MP 2009: 3rd March, Release: 30th.. March)

    As long as the chip is available for sale in sufficient volumes then the window for update is open.

    I give Q3 2011 for new Mac Pro, assuming Q1/Early Q2 Xeon production start.
     

Share This Page