Santa Rosa MB/MBP in Oct

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alana22, Apr 18, 2007.

1. alana22 macrumors regular

Hey all, I bought my black Macbook last weekend and love it! Question though, I see a lot of people here under the impression MB will come out with a Santa Rosa model pretty much right when SR is released? I was told by an employee at the Apple Store that SR Macbooks wouldn't be out until Leopard. Are some people here really waiting another half a year for a new chipset when they could just wait another 3 months for Penryn or another half year for Montevina. Why keep playing that waiting game?

2. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I'm fuzzy on the whole apple store employee knowledge thing. Many people here discount what they say, but some swear by their apple store employee info.

What say you everyone?

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I don't mind...

As long as they come with newer/better LCD screens I'd be happy.

4. alana22 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know, I just figured I'd save everyone the possibility of another let-down (after the delay of Leopard) because it seems many people here waiting for Santa Rosa are under the impression that Apple will ship Macbooks with it pretty much right when Santa Rosa is officially out. Apparently Apple is wanting a "big bang" for the holidays, hence grouping SR and Leopard together in Oct.

Basically, what I've been told is "wait til June" really means "wait til October"

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

It won't be a big bang.

It is like Apple releasing C2D Macbook/Pros at this time. It will be a ridiculous joke and all PC manufacturers will probably pool together an ad that says "Welcome to 2007 Apple!"

In October the PC makers will be getting ready for Penryn chips... a SR/C2D launch that late in the game will be nothing to wow about.

6. alana22 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I was told by two employees at the Apple Store (not sure how credible they are, but they do work there) that June-July was going to be Apples huge push for the iPhone. Trying to double up with the new Macbooks would only dilute all the investments that went into iPhone. Anyway, they could be wrong (the Apple Store employees, that is), but what they said makes sense.

The only reason I brought this up was just to see if anyone else had heard the same thing.

7. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Ahh yes indeed.

It does makes sense, but then again Apple can always release updates quietly on a Tuesday with little to no funfair.

8. alana22 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I don't know. Are Apple Store employees aloud to speculate on release dates? They seemed very confident/firm in what they were saying.

9. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

That's what I'm saying, many people here dismiss what the apple store employees say.

for your second point: ever since the huge disappointment at NAB, it's a 50/50 chance that someone here would say June. The other 50% would say October :eek:

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

As you put it, it is all their speculation.

Truth is they are as clueless as you and I, in fact even more clueless because they are not even allowed to participate on forums like MR.

11. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

:D :D yeah, this place is the nostradomus of the Apple kingdom :p

12. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I've talked to many AppleStore employees and to be honest, they don't really know much. Sorry.

13. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't think apple's ever delayed shipment of a product due to the shipment of an operating system, and i don't think apple is going to start now. if anything, i would think apple would favor releasing macbooks in june/july so that those buyers would be forced to pay for a leopard upgrade. just my opinion.

14. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I think we will get the updated MBP at WWDC and maybe the macbooks not till august time.

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Being an ex-Apple Store Employee, I can tell you,

The quality of the Apple Store employee has gone down as the economy has strengthened.

They are just speculating and have absolutely no info.

The iMacs will be the first Santa Rosa machines, probably at WWDC with immediate or 1-2 week availability.

The iPhone will be the late June push when it comes out.

The notebooks will not get their Santa Rosa revision till end of June but most likely July, August at the latest but I really doubt that.

Penryn based Macs won't be available till MWSF next January at the earliest, and possibly February - March before the iMacs and portables are all updated to it.

Now I didn't have Steve over to dinner last night. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express. But I would have to say there is no way they would wait till Leopard to upgrade. People will buy new machines regardless of an impending OS. OS isn't that expensive and a lot of people don't want the first release, they'll be waiting for 10.5.1 or .2 or .3 even. And lastly, Apple doesn't want to have anything hardware related sharing the spotlight with the OS release. It will be their main push.

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^

it damn well better. CD in the mac mini's still? please.

17. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I agree with you. Unless the upgraded OS utilized something in the new hardware, I can see them waiting. But in this case, SR has nothing an OS can leverage. I sincerely hope new hardware (esp. mbps) come out in June. If they don't, I'll pull the trigger :) I'm not waiting till Oct.

18. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Again, they can't release these in October as it will be too close to the Penryn release. My bet is on June for Sannta Rosa and February/March for Penryn.

19. sinstoic macrumors member

That is what most knowledgeable people I know tend to say. Further, I have been strongly advised to buy only after MacWorld 2008 (provided I can manage with my existing system till then).

In short, skip buying during June/October 2007 if you really want your computer to be powerful and last longer for your pro applications.

20. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I am assuming the orginal OP came up with Oct instead of June because of Leopard.

He is one of many people that have seemed to make this "connection."

I am a bit lost/frazzelled where people get this idea that SR and Leopard are tied together like a tripple knot.

Is anyone able to explain this one to me.

21. jotadeo macrumors regular

Penryn, Santa Rosa???

Disclaimer: I'm not very knowledgeable at all when it comes to processors.

I'm confused. Most people (everybody??) here have been saying "Santa Rosa" in Macs in June-ish, "Penryn" next year or whenever. Fine. Got it. Now, I've seen in at least one place--Apple Insider--and maybe others that Santa Rosa is based on "a mobile Penryn processor." :confused:

My shoddy detective work has revealed that Santa Rosa is a code name for the latest Merom processor. Penryn will apparently be the next processor, with codename(s) yet to be determined. Given these two juicy details, it appears that I am not the one who is confused, but rather Apple Insider is :p and now I am a little more well-informed on the subject of processors. :D

And just to finish the topic off, it seems then 'Santa Rosa' is used here as, "Merom in the Santa Rosa style." This would make sense if Penryn does not have any code names assigned to it yet...otherwise it would be comparing apples (e.g. Santa Rosa, a version of a processor based on the Merom core) to oranges (e.g. Penryn, a processor core).

Am I way off base here or am I making some sense?
    jdo

22. freddiecable macrumors 6502a

freddiecable

Strongly adviced...since apple will release systems with Penryns? Will it really be a that significant step? Usually there is much noise about next iteration CPUs - but when looking at real life performance they increase 20% at most. I'm waiting for the next iteration of iMacs - I don't need to buy one - have a MBP - but say for example that they introduce Quadro iMacs with the rumoured next design step - well then I can wait ;)

23. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

More or less. More less than more. :)

Santa Rosa is the new chipset that will include for example NAND flash, 802.11n, etc.

Penryn is a CPU. The first Santa Rosa notebooks will most likely come with the latest Merom processors that go up to 2.4GHz. Santa Rosa will use a socket P connection, the same connector Merom uses.

For Penryn they will use a new platform and chipset known as Montevina and Cantiga. This new platform will ship in 2008 and will increase the frontside bus speed to 1067MHz and support for 800MHz DDR 3.
    It will include a new wireless module called Shiloh, which is expected to support WiMAX (802.16) in addition to HSDPA (3.5G).

24. sjo macrumors 6502a

Santa Rosa is codename for a platform, part of which is a processor. Penryn is codename for a processor. To change a platform and a processor at the same time is a bit much, as the number of parts changed at the same time increase the complexity of the change increases a lot too. To make the changes less risky and smoother Intel changes the platforms and processors alternatively: napa with core, napa with core 2, santa rosa with core 2, santa rosa with penryn, montevina with penryn, etc...

Hope this makes some sense!

25. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Huh. I thought i was smart...