Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ej2zo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I recently purchased a used SS series 3. Is the black bezel (border) NOT sapphire crystal, only the actual face? I’m asking because I see light scratches on it.

Attachments

• 9975ABB3-C236-4959-A6A6-958C1F9F3D12.jpeg
    9975ABB3-C236-4959-A6A6-958C1F9F3D12.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 343

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You image is not showing the scratches well. Is it possible the scratches are the normal micro scratches in the coating applied to resist finger marks. I am betting so. Can you feel these scratches with your fingernail? If not they are likely to be micro scratches.

ej2zo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Here’s another pic showing the micro abrasions along the black border of the face. The other 3 sides of the watch don’t have this. Is this acceptable condition for a used SS apple watch? It was advertised as the face being in perfect condition.

Attachments

• 4980F139-C7B9-433A-987B-35FA3231867B.jpeg
    4980F139-C7B9-433A-987B-35FA3231867B.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 269

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Yes that should be sapphire crystal. Previous owner probably abused the hell out of it. Very hard to scratch sapphire and my series 2 is still looking like new.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

ej2zo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
No it’s not. Only the screen is sapphire the border or metal part is stainless steel with DLC coating for SBSS.

So the black border (bezel) that i pointed out in my pic is NOT sapphire crystal? Thus not as scratch resistant as the front face?

gymratjudy

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2016
I recently purchased a used SS series 3. Is the black bezel (border) NOT sapphire crystal, only the actual face? I’m asking because I see light scratches on it.
That looks like a space grey to me not stainless steel.

ej2zo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
The watch does have a year left of applecare. Is it easy to swap out a watch without a hassle?

770yd

Suspended
Sep 19, 2018
The entire crystal is sapphire.
Well, technically yes. It is aluminum oxide like you’d find in a high end Watch with sapphire crystal lenses, but unlike those watches, Apple has a lot of impurities in its manufacturing process of its watch displays, which allows for those displays to scratch at a much lower Mohs level.
In fact, an Apple Watch will scratch at the same level as Mineral glass. The ceramic back is actually more scratch resistant than Apple’s ‘sapphire crystal’

ej2zo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Is this watch worth keeping for $300 with applecare? The rest of the watch is in good shape with acceptable wear.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Is this watch worth keeping for $300 with applecare? The rest of the watch is in good shape with acceptable wear.
A new S3 sells for $279. I’d say no, $300 is way to much for used stainless or not.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Here’s another pic showing the micro abrasions along the black border of the face. The other 3 sides of the watch don’t have this. Is this acceptable condition for a used SS apple watch? It was advertised as the face being in perfect condition.
Those are just damages to the glass coating (oleophobic and antiglare). The crystal itself is undamaged

ej2zo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Hmm. Judging by completed auctions on ebay, it seems the average cost of a used SS apple watch 3 (with applecare) in excellent condition is approximately $350. Decisions, decisions. Any other opinions on this?
[doublepost=1538847847][/doublepost]
Those are just damages to the glass coating (oleophobic and antiglare). The crystal itself is undamaged

Thanks for the input. How can you tell it’s only damage to the glass coating, not crystal?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hmm. Judging by completed auctions on ebay, it seems the average cost of a used SS apple watch 3 (with applecare) in excellent condition is approximately $350. Decisions, decisions. Any other opinions on this?
[doublepost=1538847847][/doublepost]

Thanks for the input. How can you tell it’s only damage to the glass coating, not crystal?

The scratches don't look deep enough. Furthermore, I also own a SS watch and I had the exact same situation happen. The best way you can tell is if you run your nail along and crossing the scratch, if you feel smooth, then it's the coating. If your nail feels bumpy or like it fell in a dent, then it's the crystal.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Well, technically yes. It is aluminum oxide like you’d find in a high end Watch with sapphire crystal lenses, but unlike those watches, Apple has a lot of impurities in its manufacturing process of its watch displays, which allows for those displays to scratch at a much lower Mohs level.
In fact, an Apple Watch will scratch at the same level as Mineral glass. The ceramic back is actually more scratch resistant than Apple’s ‘sapphire crystal’
Source?

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
So the black border (bezel) that i pointed out in my pic is NOT sapphire crystal? Thus not as scratch resistant as the front face?

Black border is sapphire crystal. It looks like yours is stainless steel body but that glass should be sapphire not sure how it has so many scratches.

770yd

Suspended
Sep 19, 2018
Research. You can find the video evidence on YouTube of the Apple Watch scratching at lower mohs levels than higher quality man made sapphire crystal. This is the physical evidence of my claim.
Then research (or google search) the difference between the various man-made sapphire crystal and why some is better than others. This is the reasoning based on the physical evidence of my claim.
If you do this, believe this will bring you to the same conclusion. I prefer not to give specific links, because doing your own research prevents any data bias from me, IMO.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Research. You can find the video evidence on YouTube of the Apple Watch scratching at lower mohs levels than higher quality man made sapphire crystal. This is the physical evidence of my claim.
Then research (or google search) the difference between the various man-made sapphire crystal and why some is better than others. This is the reasoning based on the physical evidence of my claim.
If you do this, believe this will bring you to the same conclusion. I prefer not to give specific links, because doing your own research prevents any data bias from me, IMO.

I agree that folks should do their own research as there is competing information out there. I tend to believe a reputable organization like consumer reports over rando YouTube posters though.

Personally I have owned (and abused) the sapphire version since launch and the screens have remained flawless. I tried the aluminum watch and it hadn’t many scratches after three days. The screen on the aluminum watch might as well be made of butter.

aloecool

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
Black border is sapphire crystal. It looks like yours is stainless steel body but that glass should be sapphire not sure how it has so many scratches.

Previous owner was probably rough with it. My S0 that I used daily for 3+yrs doesn't look anywhere close to that. Wouldn't call that a "perfect condition" screen.

770yd

Suspended
Sep 19, 2018
I agree that folks should do their own research as there is competing information out there. I tend to believe a reputable organization like consumer reports over rando YouTube posters though.

Personally I have owned (and abused) the sapphire version since launch and the screens have remained flawless. I tried the aluminum watch and it hadn’t many scratches after three days. The screen on the aluminum watch might as well be made of butter.
I had the S3 SS before I got the series 4 and after a year of daily use and abuse, it only had very minor scratches. You had to hold it a certain way in the light to see it, but they were there.
I own several Tissot watches like the Titanium Tissot Touch and the Nicky Hayden championship Tissot, and beat the hell out of them over several years. They have high quality man-made sapphire crystal and you can’t see anything at all.
While this is just personal use and far from scientific, it just adds to what I have seen online and read about.

Either way, even with the aluminum version of the watch, the screen are pretty good and will stand up to at least a year of daily use without issue.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Given your concern with the condition as it is, I would say it’s likely not worth keeping, you have to ask yourself, can you accept the fact with the scratches as it is?

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Part of it might not just be apple getting cheap but making a watch which is more drop resistant.

The thing about the sapphire on a tissot is its surrounded by metal. So if you drop it the metal is what takes the impact.

On the apple watch the screen will take the hit and a pure sapphire will shatter. More scratch resistant means less shatter resistance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.