SATA 3.0 vs 1.5 New uMBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groove-agent, Aug 30, 2009.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I currently have a last gen 15" uMBP with SATA 3.0. Macrumours mentioned that the new uMBPs have only a 1.5 SATA interface although you wouldn't notice a difference unless you used solid state drives.

I eventually want to switch to SSDs when they reach 512GB and are somewhat affordable. I'm curious if I should just hold on to my current MBP with the 3.0 and the expresscard slot. I want to buy a new unit so I can get the matte screen.

Any comments are appreciated.

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

They released a firmware update for it a long time ago. No longer relevant.

/thread

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

You missed the party. There were fireworks. Flamin' hot I tell you.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Which is why I, like Tallest Skil, like to tell people to search before you post. Not trying to be mean or anything, but this topic was covered extensively months ago OP.

5. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sweet! Now all I have to do is determine if I can do without my Expresscard slot!

6. Smoothie macrumors 6502

However, what IS relevant are the problems that many people are having with the EFI version 1.7 firmware update. While you're searching, take a look at those threads. It appears to be a crapshoot whether third party (or some stock) drives will work properly with the new firmware.

7. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Hold on seems like the best option for you. Otherwise, get the 17" if you're worried about problems.