Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Satechi Launches Apple Watch Charger With Detachable USB-C Cable

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Satechi today introduced a new Apple Watch charger with a detachable USB-C cable, making it quite versatile.

The charger is equipped with a USB-C connector that can be plugged directly into USB-C devices like recent MacBook and iPad Pro models. Or, if some distance is needed, the charger can be paired with the included female-to-male USB-C cable and then plugged into devices, docks, battery packs, and so forth.

The charger, certified by Apple, is compatible with all Apple Watch models and sizes. It is available now in Space Gray for $44.99 on Satechi's website. From today through December 26, Satechi is offering customers 20 percent off when entering the code GIFTSATECHI at checkout.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Satechi and may receive a commission from sales, which helps to keep the site running.

Article Link: Satechi Launches Apple Watch Charger With Detachable USB-C Cable

G5isAlive

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2003
Does a watch need that little power that there is little drain on an iPad? Frankly, I prefer to keep my iPad charged then using it as a power brick. Okay, so googling a watch has roughly a 296 mAh battery and an iPad Pro, 10,307.. so if there is 100% efficient transfer, that represents only 2.8%...I suppose thats not enough to worry about but still, seems rather niche to want to charge my watch from my devices.

Reactions: An Apple a day...
Comment

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Does a watch need that little power that there is little drain on an iPad? Frankly, I prefer to keep my iPad charged then using it as a power brick. Okay, so googling a watch has roughly a 296 mAh battery and an iPad Pro, 10,307.. so if there is 100% efficient transfer, that represents only 2.8%...I suppose thats not enough to worry about but still, seems rather niche to want to charge my watch from my devices.
This is also useful with USB-C battery packs, Macbook Pro's if you don't carry a dongle, and chargers from a Switch, Android devices, the iPad Pro charger, etc. Might save a USB-A power brick that you'd otherwise have to travel with.

Comment

jonblatho

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2014
Missouri
I would not plug in an Apple Watch the way that first picture shows. That’s how you break the usbc port on your iPad
While I don’t think this is the best charging solution for an Apple Watch, I don’t get this notion that USB-C ports are super fragile. They’re not. They’re not even what I’d call fragile.

Comment

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I always wanted my apple watch dangling off the side of my upright iPad.
Nothing could possiblely go with that setup. ?

Reactions: Lazy
Comment

yanksfan114

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
While I don’t think this is the best charging solution for an Apple Watch, I don’t get this notion that USB-C ports are super fragile. They’re not. They’re not even what I’d call fragile.
They may not be super fragile, but they definitely loosen with use and I can foresee using it with stuff hanging off of it exacerbating this.

Reactions: Lazy
Comment

jlc1978

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2009
The advantage, besides price, for me is that I can go all USB-C with my devices when I travel. I can leave the Apple charger pligged in at home and carry this with me; plugging it into my Mac, iPad Pro or their charger, or my portable battery pack, as needed.

Comment

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
That is the most interesting thing I will never use. I'll keep my portable battery pack.

Comment

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
So I just bought it. I get what people are saying, but it's small enough that I can keep this in my computer bag or the car in case I need an unexpected charge. I like to go places without my phone, but that eats up battery.

Comment

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
So I just bought it. I get what people are saying, but it's small enough that I can keep this in my computer bag or the car in case I need an unexpected charge. I like to go places without my phone, but that eats up battery.
That's what this is for. Not only do you not need your iPad, but all you need is USB power, which is in your car, cafe's, heck...even pack a tiny USB battery charger in your bag.

Like others have said, this device is just the thing no one has asked for.

Comment

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
That's what this is for. Not only do you not need your iPad, but all you need is USB power, which is in your car, cafe's, heck...even pack a tiny USB battery charger in your bag.

Like others have said, this device is just the thing no one has asked for.

The USB-C version of the cable is What I use for charging. All my bricks/plugs are usb-c now. Plus it can be plugged into the iPad to accomplish the same as the article for less $. USB-A is dead to me. RIP... lol

Comment

CJM

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Those are some great pictures... The iPad Pro is such a nice looking device. But I'd never own that charger.

Comment

G5isAlive

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2003
This is also useful with USB-C battery packs, Macbook Pro's if you don't carry a dongle, and chargers from a Switch, Android devices, the iPad Pro charger, etc. Might save a USB-A power brick that you'd otherwise have to travel with.

Point(s) taken ... except that to power all my toys I already have a power brick, and use a USB C watch connector from Apple so .. don't have to have two bricks and can already plug into my laptop if I really cared to. I am talking travel now. At home I already have my bedside dual charger set up for phone and watch when I go to sleep and that keeps my watch charged for the day. I guess I just do not find this form factor significantly helpful to make a change in my well established routine that works for me. But I am not ruling it out for others. Mostly surprised at myself because I am always on the hunt for a better gadget to travel with. This usually would have been my thing.

Comment

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I love innovative or creative charging and cable solutions. The market is big enough that every niche can be filled.

I would have preferred a female USB-C connector on the charger, though.

Reactions: sonicrobby
Comment

iGeneo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
I like it... don't need it, but I do appreciate it. A little pricey, a $30 target would be cool. Then again, if you need it, buy it.

Comment

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2019
Whatever the opinons on the product, I like the images they used.

Really shows the iOS Life, or iLife for us Boomers (well, I'm a GenXer)!

The Post-PC Era is in full swing.

And not just Apple...you could replace every product in the image with a Samsung Galaxy equivalent, although I'm aware that I just caused many of you here to throw up a little in your mouths.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.