Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Satechi today announced the Type-C Dual Multimedia Adapter, which plugs into two of the MacBook Pro's USB-C ports to offer a handful of add-on ports.

satechi-new-dongle.jpg

In total, this includes: one 4K HDMI port at 60Hz, one 4K HDMI port at 30Hz, USB-C power delivery charging, Gigabit Ethernet, a micro/SD card reader and two USB 3.0 ports. Satechi said that this dual-connector design is patent pending.

Satechi's accessory allows users to connect their MacBook Pro to external 4K monitors, and extend the display across two screens. The company is also launching the Type-C Dual HDMI Adapter for anyone who solely wants a dual-display setup, without the extra ports.

The smaller adapter features two HDMI ports at 60Hz, supporting an extended 4K display, as well as an added USB-C charging port. The company includes a silicone cover for the dongle, which it says is recommended for added heat protection when both 4K 60Hz HDMI display ports and the power port are all being used at once.

The Type-C Dual Multimedia Adapter is available to purchase now in Silver or Space Gray for $109.99 [Amazon / Satechi], while the Type-C Dual HDMI Adapter is available for $64.99 [Amazon / Satechi]. You can enter the code DUALDISPLAY on Satechi.net or Amazon to get 20 percent off the accessories through September 3.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Satechi Launches Dual-Connector Type-C Multimedia Adapter, Supporting Two 4K Displays

Massy1989

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2016
The Dual Multimedia Adapter only supports one monitor at 60hz!?... PASS. I’d personally rather deal with two dongles than have one with this limitation.

Good to see the cheaper Dual HDMI Adapter supports two 4K displays both at 60hz.

Reactions: ThomasJL

boberonicus

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
I've made THREE visits to Apple Stores (Boulder, Broomfield, San Jose) trying to find a 2019 MBP compatible USB-C -> dual HDMI hub at a reasonable price. Since the 20-something sales people aren't office workers, they're not hip to the idea of using two external monitors. So they generally begin with a Google search or by asking a better informed co-worker who then performs the Google search.

Sometimes, their Google searches reveal the Henge article on USB C hubs that connect to dual monitors, or they find the $250 CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock that they sell in-store. Other times they suggest using multiple USB-C to HDMI adapters. I'll give this thing a shot, it looks promising. None of my monitors run at 4k, so the second, slower port should be fine.

Their web site indicates that the PD port supports up to 60 watts, by the way.

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
why cant you use two usb-c ports for those two monitors? Why do you need a hub for it?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Very promising. I would trade 2nd 4K 30 Hz HDMI for 2nd USB-C port though. My ideal USB-C hub would have:
  • 1x HDMI 4K 60 Hz
  • 2x USB-A 3.0
  • 2x USB-C PD
  • 1x SD card
  • 1x gigabit Ethernet
So very close!

Reactions: SoSickSadNslOw

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
I've made THREE visits to Apple Stores (Boulder, Broomfield, San Jose) trying to find a 2019 MBP compatible USB-C -> dual HDMI hub at a reasonable price. Since the 20-something sales people aren't office workers, they're not hip to the idea of using two external monitors. So they generally begin with a Google search or by asking a better informed co-worker who then performs the Google search.

Sometimes, their Google searches reveal the Henge article on USB C hubs that connect to dual monitors, or they find the $250 CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock that they sell in-store. Other times they suggest using multiple USB-C to HDMI adapters. I'll give this thing a shot, it looks promising. None of my monitors run at 4k, so the second, slower port should be fine.

Those sound like multiple states as well... Might have been easier to just search Amazon...

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
Slight off topic: Does anyone have trouble with HDDs plugged into a USB C hub?

I tried plugging my time machine HDD in and every time my computer went to sleep, it would detach the drive (which of course wasn’t not ejected properly). I stopped plugging drives into my hub as a result.

If my hub is faulty in that way I’ll definitely be in the market for something like this.

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles

USB-C to dual 60hz 4K monitors does not exist. It’s a limitation of the spec I believe.

The expensive USB-C hubs that do offer this functionality are in fact Thunderbolt 3 hubs. More bandwidth is available through TB3 than USB.

Confusing since the connector is the same physical form.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Until Apple changes the space between the ports...

Yeah. It seems to me that getting a one-port hub adapter plus another non-hub HDMI adapter is a much better deal in multiple ways. You probably end up saving money, you're not constrained to this exact port spacing, and you can put the second adapter on the other side.

(Similarly, 87W power passthrough sounds nice on paper, but just putting a separate power plug in is more reliable and cheaper.)

I don't have a tbMBP yet, but that's basically my plan.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand

Do you want HDMI specific, or is dual DP ok?

OWC make one each (dual dp, dual hdmi) using a single TB3 port, but the hdmi version is $30 more (the DP version is the same
Price as the Satechi dual USB abomination in the article) https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB3ADP2DP/

Reactions: jettredmont

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
A totally different approach would be to buy a Razer Core X external GPU enclosure like I did. They’re $250 refurbished. I picked up a cheap Radeon RX 580 GPU secondhand. I plug the eGPU into my MacBook Pro, it provides power and the 580 could drive four 4K displays at 60hz, and it’s a huge performance upgrade over the built in graphics. It also works great with Bootcamp, I’ve got a nice gaming partition now.

Last edited:

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
the hardest thing to find?

A dongle that will turn one USB-C port into two (or more) USB-C ports.

re: us Macbook 12 Retina users

-

boberonicus

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
> why cant you use two usb-c ports for those two monitors? Why do you need a hub for it?
When I sit down to work every day, I’d rather plug one thing into my Mac. And fewer plug in/out events = less wear and tear on hardware.

> Those sound like multiple states as well... Might have been easier to just search Amazon…
There’s an underlying technology issue. Some dual HDMI hubs only support mirroring a single image to two displays, which is useless. When you dig into Amazon Q&A, you can often locate the people who tried a hub for their MBP and then returned it. I wanted to find someone who actually understood the underlying issues.

> Razer Core X external GPU enclosure
That beast is amazing.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
> why cant you use two usb-c ports for those two monitors? Why do you need a hub for it?
When I sit down to work every day, I’d rather plug one thing into my Mac. And fewer plug in/out events = less wear and tear on hardware.
But this one thing plugs into two of your usb-c ports. It’s the same as using two usb-c to HDMI cables. No different. You’ll also have a dongle with more cables plugged into that. Less cables would be two usb-c to HDMI then two usb-c plus this adapter.

Lahmy88

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Shepparton, Victoria, Australia
I've been thinking for a while how the main reason Thunderbolt 3/USB-C is so convenient is because of it's ability to plug in just one cable when docking/un-docking. What I reckon would be a better product for Satechi to sell or sell as well is a simple dual-ended extender that would allow you to plug in 2 different devices but have the ability to physically connect/disconnect in one motion. Also, ideally this would come with a utility that allows you to eject multiple drives at once ;) Might have to start a kickstarter project here guys!

Reactions: jettredmont

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
The Dual Multimedia Adapter only supports one monitor at 60hz!?... .... .... Good to see the cheaper Dual HDMI Adapter supports two 4K displays both at 60hz.

4k@60Hz uses up all 4 high-speed data lanes of USB-C port in "DisplayPort alt mode". You can't get two on a single port, and you can't combine a single4k@60Hz with anything faster than USB 2.0. The only ways around that are to use Thunderbolt (more expensive) or DisplayPort 1.4 (not well supported by either Macs or displays at the moment).

or they find the $250 CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock that they sell in-store. Other times they suggest using multiple USB-C to HDMI adapters.

I'd say that's probably the best advice. Non-Thunderbolt USB-C has major limitations when it comes to multiple displays, especially with MacOS's lack of support for DisplayPort daisy-chaining. Even with two non-4k displays, you can't have any other ports better than a single USB 2 connection. If that's what you really want, a quick Google will find you several.

For low-res, get a multiport hub for the first monitor and a CUSB-C -to-HDMI cable for the second, and put up with plugging 2 tiny, reversible plugs into your computer (what, take two bottles into the shower!?)

Well, if saving a few seconds seconds every day is important to you, you can get a TB3 dock. (If you're a Fortune 100 CEO who can't afford to stop and pick up a dropped $50 bill then it will pay for itself in a week!) - when I were a lad it were half-a-dozen honking great D-connectors wi' retaining screws an' we couldn't afford screwdrivers so we had to cut off a finger and whittle the bone end into a Phillips head...

However, I'd say that these two-port designs are going to put far more wear-and-tear on the sockets than regular cables - unless the dimensions are absolutely perfect, the sockets are going to be under perpetual strain, they're going to be trickier to line up and insert than regular plugs, and the basic principle of leverage means that the large body can apply a huge amount of force to the socket if your Mac moves or the surface isn't perfectly flat (plus the cable is thicker and less flexible - and in this case looks like a flat cable that only bends one way).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.