Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Satechi today announced the launch of its latest Qi2 product, a car charger that is able to mount to a vehicle's vents. The Qi2 Wireless Car Charger is able to charge a compatible iPhone at up to 15W, which is the same speed as an official MagSafe charger.

satechi-qi2-charger.jpg

Like many of Satechi's products, the Qi2 Wireless Car Charger is made from an aluminum material that is designed to match Apple's devices It comes in a space gray color, with a soft black silicone charging pad available for the iPhone. It clips on to a vent with a stabilizing clamp, and includes a 25W car charger and 3.3-foot USB-C cable. The mount is able to swivel, and it can be used in landscape or portrait mode.

Qi2 charging speeds are available on the iPhone 12 and later, with Apple adding support for the faster charging through software updates. All of Apple's MagSafe iPhones are now able to charge at the faster Qi2 speeds. As with MagSafe, the iPhone will need to be caseless or equipped with a magnetic case.

The Qi2 Wireless Car Charger can be purchased from the Satechi website for $60.

Article Link: Satechi Launches Qi2 Wireless Car Charger

ANDJOE

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Any idea if this has the second alignment magnet that prevents the phone from rostering? Also this an odd ad MR, many of these are already on the market.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Paradoxically, these vent mount chargers work better in the summer because you have AC cooling the phone off. In the winter, you have to shut that individual vent off to keep from overheating the phone.
?? Why?? I mean, when I drove, I used to run the AC in the winter or drive with the window down. Assuming that you mean for normal people who run the heat in the winter?

Tom

Forgot to add that I love Satechi products. Slim X3 keyboard with 10 levels backlight, keypad and shortcut keys. I thought the battery life would suck b/c the only review I could find said that. After 8 weeks, it's still at 100%. It's a glaring contrast with a rose gold coloured MBA, but a spiffy match for IPPs, phone and watch

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
We just purchased a 2024 Chevrolet Traverse LT that has both wireless CarPlay and wireless charging. As these features become standardized there will be less of a a market for something like this product, mainly for owners of older vehicles.

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
HUH?, this is not new. Local store here has a bunch of exact same product for 2 years+. 2021 model 15w C$30... on sales, C$45 regular price.

IMG_4860.jpeg

Last edited:

WB2Colorado

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
We just purchased a 2024 Chevrolet Traverse LT that has both wireless CarPlay and wireless charging. As these features become standardized there will be less of a a market for something like this product, mainly for owners of older vehicles.
The average age of cars on the road today is 12 years so there are quite a few cars out there that don’t have built in wireless chargers

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
The average age of cars on the road today is 12 years so there are quite a few cars out there that don’t have built in wireless chargers
My 12 year-old car has a cd player. I have a mount that uses the cd slot. Anyone seen a Qi charger that mounts in a cd slot?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Paradoxically, these vent mount chargers work better in the summer because you have AC cooling the phone off. In the winter, you have to shut that individual vent off to keep from overheating the phone.
Or put heat on the floor only or use the defrost and floor vent option. Heat rises. No need to blow it in your face and dry your eyes out while driving. Auto typically uses only those two options for heat anyway.

Reactions: G5isAlive

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
These vent mounted chargers need backs that can open up (as much as possible) so that AC can blow directly on the phone. They all block too much of the air from the phone.

Even better would be a built-in phone charging compartment in the car that communicates with your phone to know when it’s overheating and then blows cool air on it inside the compartment. That might be a feature already on high end cars and I just forgot that I saw it.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Everything is made from the same country anyways. Same tech different skin.

china is a big country. not everything is the same. I'm with GMShadow, I trust a brand I know versus one I havent heard of and probably won't again. Heck you can't even find choetech on amazon lol.

Reactions: WWPD

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
china is a big country. not everything is the same. I'm with GMShadow, I trust a brand I know versus one I havent heard of and probably won't again. Heck you can't even find choetech on amazon lol.
Some brand only probably only sold in Canada. Anyways my point of the post, overpriced and old idea. Nothing new from Satechi. I suspect this is just a paid sponsor on MacRumors obviously.

• Wow
Reactions: G5isAlive

yannxou

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
Barcelona
Aren't wireless chargers also consuming some electricity even when they're not charging any device? I'm not sure if I'd leave that one plugged to my car all the time..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.