Satechi Launches USB-C 'Clamp Hub Pro' for 2017 iMac and iMac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 14, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Satechi today announced the launch of a new USB Type-C Clamp Hub Pro, which is made from aluminum and designed to work with the latest iMac and iMac Pro machines.

[​IMG]

Available in Silver or Space Gray, the Clamp Hub Pro plugs into one of the rear Thunderbolt 3 slots on the iMac or iMac Pro. It offers three USB 3.0 Type-A ports with 5Gb/s data transfer and a Micro/SD card reader.

[​IMG]

Setting up the Clamp Hub takes just a few seconds using an adjustable knob, and its slim profile adds little additional visual bulk to the iMac. The Clamp Hub is compatible with the 2017 iMac Pro, the 2017 4K 21.5-inch iMac, and the 2017 5K 27-inch iMac.

[​IMG]

The USB Type-C Clamp Hub Pro can be pre-ordered from the Satechi website for $49.99. It will start shipping out in the first week of January.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Satechi. When you click a link in this post and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Satechi Launches USB-C 'Clamp Hub Pro' for 2017 iMac and iMac Pro

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Very cool. Ordering one (minus the affiliate link).

3. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

If I had an iMac, I would buy this.
    All my windows pcs have front facing USB ports, which I use a lot.
    Even my monitors have easy-access side-facing USB ports.

4. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Sexy. I would buy an iMac Pro just for that hub.

5. CarlJ, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017

CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

I'm curious why you go out of your way to mention the last bit - is there a problem with letting MacRumors get a few cents, if it costs you nothing?

(Note to folks "liking" this post and the other popular one in this thread: I'm asking a question, not leveling an accusation. That's why I start off above with "I'm curious why" and not "How dare you".)

6. Snappers macrumors member

This looks like a dam-good product. I find front-facing ports to be truly valuable and a function that I use quite often. I guess I am not one who loves groping around in the back of their computer looking for an open port for the sake of aesthetics.

7. tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

Pure selfishness of him, really.

8. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

We need a dislike button for guys like this.

Alternatively, like this post to show your disdain for this guys post :)

9. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

That is a nice clever/minimal solution. I modified my older HiRise to have similar functionality...

[​IMG]

There's a USB hub inside the HiRise. Unfortunately had to modify the HiRise, drilling out the holes/notches for the various cables. However, in the end I like a solution like mine a little better because it manages the cable mess as well. Granted, no SD reader in my solution, but could easily plug/swap one in.

10. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

I don't automatically assume that. That's why my reply started off with, "I'm curious..."

11. tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

Feels like our posts will be removed because they are off-topic, but I am curious too.

12. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

So in your opinion it's best to just go straight for the pitchforks and torches without asking any questions first?

13. charlieMonroeSoftware macrumors newbie

charlieMonroeSoftware

I wonder how does this affect the speakers as it obviously covers most of the right part of it.

14. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

15. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Hello.

16. b0nd18t macrumors 6502

b0nd18t

The first reply pretty much hijacked the thread. I too am wondering why you would go out of your way to not support a site you obviously visit?

17. mekump macrumors newbie

It would be nice if the next version of the iMac had ports easily accessible from the front or even from the side. I also may have to order one of these.

18. Uaaerospace2 macrumors newbie

I agree. I like the visual design of the iMac, but I might has well have my work iMac on a lazy susan I spin it around so often to access the ports.

19. canadianreader macrumors 6502

canadianreader

That is mean and you know it

20. BrennanWDavis macrumors newbie

BrennanWDavis

You use the built in speakers on your iMac?

21. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

So $5K and "pro" doesn't get one enough ports?
    Classic Apple.

22. coolfactor macrumors 68040

One wonders why Apple did not build this feature into the iMac Pro, a snap-down front-facing access port. I think they are addicted to the clean-front design and can’t see past it.

23. grundoon macrumors member

grundoon

I'm curious as to what percentage of people here notice that every page opened on the site opens up to as many as 120+** connections to trackers/ads/beacons/etc.

I mean, surely the recent spate of in-line streamers and content-obscuring popups haven't escaped notice, but there's a reason for the duplicate posts, the non-news posts, the summary posts, the, the, the... – unless you're running an aggressive blocker, every visit here already generates income.

(** highest count I've seen was I think 138, about 100 more than the most aggressive newspaper sites out there, but I rarely pay that kind of close attention)

24. jasonsmith_88 macrumors member

You probably should have gone to Apple’s site and checked out what ports the iMac Pro has before writing that comment.

25. Foxglove9 macrumors 68000

Foxglove9

Wondering that too. I thought that also serves as air intake for the fan? Is it ok to cover that long term?