Satechi Launches USB-C 'Clamp Hub Pro' for 2017 iMac and iMac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 14, 2017.

1. mrr macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2008
    I like the fact that it connects with the Thunderbolt port leaving my already full usb connecters on the back free. I’m buying one.
  2. macs4nw macrumors 601

Actually, I'd like the right side better, where older iMacs had both the SDXC card slot, and SuperDrive slot.
    Convenient to reach, yet unobtrusive when not in use. Probably not workable with the thinness of todays iMacs.

While I do like this very reasonably priced Satechi hub, like another poster, I too wonder once mounted, about its effect on right channel audio output. According to Apple's website (although hard to pinpoint exactly), the sound of the iMacPro appears to come out of the same body cavities as it does on the 5K iMac, and apparently exiting at similar bottom openings before dispersing while bouncing off the desk.
  3. theluggage macrumors 68030

Jul 29, 2011
    To be fair, you could connect any garden-variety USB 3 hub to your spare Thunderbolt port with an appropriate USB-C adapter.

It's worth remembering that there's no bandwidth advantage to connecting a hub like this via USB-C rather than USB-A - its still a single 5Gbps USB 3.1 channel from the iMac shared between 4 USB ports and a card reader. The only real upside to connecting something like this via USB-C is that it can potentially deliver more power to drive self-powered devices and charge things via the hub's USB ports c.f. a USB-A hub without a separate power brick.

However, there's no mention of power delivery in the Satechi specs - if it was a feature you'd think they'd highlight it - and they say that the USB-C port is "data only" (which also means no display connection).

So - #1 question - how much power can this hub deliver via its USB ports?

...that's my second beef with this product - what appears to be a very short, captive USB-C lead that completely dictates where it can be located.

However, I'm not trying to rubbish it, and its nice to start seeing products like this aimed at the iMac rather than notebooks. It scores by having USB ports on the front (we've already got rear-facing USB ports thanks), the input on the back and not bothering with Ethernet (apologies to the 3 people with a use-case for front-facing ethernet) or the ability to charge the computer.

The issue on the iMac is not the availability of ports - you've got 4 good ol' USB 3 ports, ethernet and SD card to use up before starting on the two USB-C/TB3 ports (four on the iMP) - so its not like you need dongles from day 1.

The iMac problem is that they're all on the back panel of a 27" display with substantial bezels so you need gorilla arms to plug/unplug them, which is especially stupid for the SD slot. This piece of design brilliance has been with us for many years, so the wailing and gnashing of teeth has subsided (and now we're all too thankful that the ports are there at all to complain)....
  4. BayouTiger macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2008
    New Orleans
    I actually wish they had made it a USB3 device and not chew up a precious TB3 port. expecially on the iMac.
  5. theluggage macrumors 68030

Jul 29, 2011
    To be fair, there are plenty of garden variety USB 3 'A' hubs that could sit happily on the iMac's plinth. (Not necessarily recommending that particular one, just an example) and since the cable isn't captive, you could choose whether to connect it via USB-A or get a USB-microB-to-C cable.

The Satechi's clip-on design is neat, but not essential for a desktop system.

As I said previously, we need more detailed specs on the Satechi's power delivery to know if this is really taking advantage of the USB-C port. If it can't deliver more power than you'd get from a single USB3 'A' port then I wonder if it would work with a USB-C to USB-A adapter?

Currently, for me, I have an unused TB3 (the other one is driving an external display) whereas my USB 'A' sockets are oversubscribed, so a USB-C connection would make sense... However, that could change if I get any TB devices, so flexibility would be good.