Satechi's USB-C Hub for 2018 iPad Pro Now Available: 4K HDMI, Headphone Jack, USB-C With Power Delivery, and USB-A

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 11, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Satechi today announced that its new USB-C hub for the 2018 iPad Pro is now available for purchase for $59.99 on the accessory maker's website and Amazon.

[​IMG]

Designed for the new iPad Pro with a USB-C port, the hub features a HDMI output, one USB-C port with Power Delivery, one USB-A port, and a 3.5mm headphone jack, enabling the tablet to be connected to a wide variety of peripherals, such as a 4K display via HDMI, a wired keyboard via USB, and wired headphones.

Satechi is currently offering 20 percent off with code MPH20%OFF at checkout, lowering the price of its USB-C hub to $48 for a limited time.

For comparison, accessory maker Hyper has launched a Kickstarter campaign for a USB-C hub that features six connectivity options: a 4K HDMI output, a 3.5mm headphone jack, SD and microSD card slots, one USB-A port, and one USB-C port with Power Delivery. The early bird price is $49 and the regular price will be $99.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Satechi. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Satechi's USB-C Hub for 2018 iPad Pro Now Available: 4K HDMI, Headphone Jack, USB-C With Power Delivery, and USB-A

2. valleian macrumors regular

valleian

In before all the antiquated port lovers bash this, but I think this is pretty cool actually. If I had the iPad Pro, I'd deeply consider this. It offers a lot of productivity in a compact attachment. Especially if I was using an iPad Pro as a primary device, or as a sideways primary device alongside my MacBook Pro. For $49 that's pretty enticing, for $99, a bit less so, but still cool.

3. groadyho Suspended

groadyho

I look at that and think rig job. It sure isn't clean

4. NomadicTy macrumors regular

I have one of these USB C hubs for my 2018 MBP. Would that work with the new iPad Pros?

5. nate13 macrumors 6502

nate13

As long as it's not a TB3 hub, I don't see why not. Given, the only difference between this and the Apple Digital AV adapter is the headphone port which... if you're in the Apple ecosystem in 2018, you probably have wireless cans.

6. KPandian1 Suspended

All these accessories - I fondly remember the days when Apple had them built into their laptops.

Yes, this is supposed to be for an iPad, I know.

When measuring an iPad or a MacBook or whatever, we should start adding the dimensions of these dongs into the specs. Now, we have not so portable or thin or light-weight devices.

7. groadyho Suspended

groadyho

Hacks, rig jobs, and dongles. Apple kind of scares me. It could be why my MBP sits idle and I don't own an iPhone, yet..

8. NufSaid macrumors regular

NufSaid

Anyone else have trouble with Satechi’s build qualities?

9. ignatius345 macrumors 68000

Ah, here's how we know the iPad is reaching parity with the Mac: dongles.

10. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I bought a 4K60 USB-C to HDMI adapter that said it worked with iPad Pro on Amazon and had 4.5 stars and it only does 1440p. I still need to return it. I'd be wary of anything that Apple didn't make working with this thing.

11. Donka macrumors 68030

Donka

No SD card slot is a big miss for me. Plenty of cheaper options available that provide this mind you.

12. KPandian1 Suspended

At this point, Apple should be defined by the accessories it forces upon us - and we should leave out the "le" in them.

Apple, the Dong company.

PS: I still love you, Apple; and equally hate your moves.

13. FaustsHausUK macrumors regular

FaustsHausUK

I preordered. I don’t need the ports 99% of the time, but when I do, this offers everything I need. $49 was reasonable, especially compared to similar Apple dongles.

14. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

Apple has had dongles since the first iPad. Do you want to go back to proprietary connectors? What a bunch of whiners.

15. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors regular

Romeo_Nightfall

Proprietary connectors ... think ... think ... do You check your statement

16. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Dongles are for the duration of a transition period like PS/2 to USB adapters, 30 Pin to Lightning adapters, HDMI to DVI adapters, or even plug-in hybrid cars, etc. The point is eventually you will transition to USB-C/TB3 only and not need the dongle.

If THAT scares you, I'd hate to see you when we actually get our flying cars and hover boards.

17. Dotannoy macrumors newbie

Dotannoy

Yes! I was shocked when my $10 USB-C one of these hubs for my MBP worked just fine on iPad 2018

18. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

It would if this could be connected to a USB-C male to female extension cord, just one cord.

19. darthbane2k macrumors 6502a

If only I could find find something productive to do on an iPad that would use all those ports

20. kgelner macrumors newbie

One small concern with both of these hubs, neither one supports USB 3.1 Gen 2 for output ports, just Gen 1 - the new iPad Pro itself is Gen2 (10GB/s instead of 5GB/s). The Kickstarter one does take USB 3.1 Gen 2 on input, but I don't know if it makes use of it for any other ports besides the USB ports (both of those are listed as being Gen1).

It probably would not matter much but there are a few USB 3.1 Gen 2 devices like external drives out now...

21. Diane B macrumors regular

22. subjonas macrumors 68000

Does the guy in the video work for Satechi? Because he pronounces it “setachi”..

23. KPandian1, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

KPandian1 Suspended

Look back - people complained then too!

An all-in-one device should not have toilet paper dangling from it! iPad or any MacBook laptops!

Not all these ports have the "be-all and end-all" specs of USB 3.1.

Just accept the point - Apple is skimping too much and inconveniencing its customers.

24. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Very nice. I can hook up my hard drive, wired keyboard and Logitech mouse. Oh wait...

25. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

^This. All of the USB-C hubs I looked at had really short cables so the hub would hang down and not sit flag on a desk when using a keyboard. This is even worse as all of the cables will now hang from higher on the iPad. Still may order this as I need something and see nothing better available.