Satisfied customer of the new Macbook/pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Awesome-o/, Oct 28, 2008.

?

Satisfied with the new notebooks?

1. owner of one and YES

110 vote(s)
    70.1%
  2. owner of one and NO

16 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. dont own one but YES

23 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. dont own one but NO

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Awesome-o/ macrumors member

For my own sanity, I just wanna see if everyone really doest hate the new notebooks

also thought it could be intresting to see if all the haters are people who own them or not

please be honest!

2. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Owned 4 MacBooks. All had dead pixels and/or scratches greater than .5" ranging up to 3". One had a visible dent near the caps lock key.

3. jade macrumors 6502

I am about 85% happy right now. Leopard could be less flaky. Hardware-wise, my macbook has good fit and finish. Although some of the super anal people might have griped about the .5mm gap (or less) of the hinge on the right side of the screen. ;) And well you know the screen, when shut ranges from a .2mm gap to a .3mm gap from front to back. Wow that is a ridiculously high tolerance of manufacturing errors, it is not 100% even on all sides. ;)

All in all a good purchase, but I am trying to get used to the inconsistencies of 10.5

4. Awesome-o/ thread starter macrumors member

Well so far the polls showing a majority of satisfied

For me that kinda intresting considering the amount of angry posts iv seen :rolleyes:

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

voted yes

Well my girlfriend got one on release day and it's really nice. I sat outside on a sunny day with it and surfed here on MR and a few other sites and I didn't have any problems with the screen or anything at all. This was different than being in an Apple Store as I had all kinds of reflections going on while being on a new MBP which I add to the store lighting.
    This MB model feels really sturdy compared to her 14" iBook that she just retired after 4 yrs. of use and it is lighter along with being smaller (obviously). She really likes it and will be getting the 4GB RAM upgrade from Crucial within the next few weeks. I must say this little unit is growing on me due to size and it has enough power for some programs I would use now and in the future.
    So two Apples up from her and an Apple and a half from me so far (no FW removes half an Apple).

6. beardymouse macrumors newbie

Not a slant on its technology but having paid £1300 on one two weeks ago and having not even seen it, this macbook has been an awful experience - it is unlikely the actual product will overshadow Apple's pathetic excuse for customer service

7. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Apple service is great. I just want a laptop with a good screen and no major visual defects. I could care less about slanted keys or a slight gap when its closed.

8. Awesome-o/ thread starter macrumors member

yeah i really dont see the issue with slanted keys. But I guess products at these sort of prices should be perfect.

looks like dissatisfied is catching up!

9. MacJenn macrumors regular

That shouldn't be a surprise. Most people who buy one will say they are satisfied because they own one. I have one and don't care for it. It is going back for a Pro. I can't live with this screen considering I paid top dollar for it.

10. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Perfect is relative, but I think a perfect screen should be the rule not the exception. Also, I realize that nothing is perfect, but the fit and finish should have no major dents, scratches, etc.

11. Aranince macrumors 65816

12. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Is the Pro screen really that much better?

13. Tosser macrumors 68030

Well, if you take a look at drew just above (post 7), some people are satisfied just as long as there's an apple on the lid.

:rolleyes:

Hell, some people are satisfied with having to fiddle with the voltages and fan speeds in order to NOT have their MBA going into a core shutdown. The "satisfaction" says more about the people than it does about the quality of the products. Especially with a brand like Apple.

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

The only thing I dislike are the new track pads. I have yet to get used to them. Other than that I think it is a very good machine. Build quality is 2nd to none.

15. MacJenn macrumors regular

It is way, way better. The Pro makes the reg Macbook's screen look like a pink Barbie plastic computer my niece has.

16. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

I've had mine almost a day and consider myself very satisfied. Sure, I would rather I didn't have that little stuck pixel on the left side of my screen, and that the screen itself was of the quality of those on the MBPs, and that the trackpad was psychic, but OSX and the machine itself are giant positive leaps from my five-year-old Fujitsu Siemens laptop and I'm very pleased I switched.

17. Awesome-o/ thread starter macrumors member

Wouldnt go that far, in the store i couldnt really see a huge amount of difference. But macrumors members seem to mostly be people in design and graphics fields who im sure would have a much keener eye than me. Considering the macbook is apples entry level notebook I think they have done a good job with it.

18. TFMTASAD macrumors regular

I got one 2.4 for me and one 2.4 for my wife, both were perfect out of the box and still are. I upgraded both to 4gb of ram and a 7200 rpm drive. So far I'm very pleased with this machine. I like how quiet it runs, how cool it runs and how fast it is.

19. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Im jealous. I love the design, but again expect a perfect screen with no scratches or dents.

20. Awesome-o/ thread starter macrumors member

ha iv got a Fujitsu Siemens laptop, really is on its last legs.

Its good to see that the general opinion so far is positive on the poll. I guess the your more likely to make a post if you want to complain than if your happy.

21. MacJenn macrumors regular

Well considering a few of my friends have the Pro and I have a 2.4 new one and we compared them side by side I know theirs is superior to this one. I have spent hours on the Pro's and hours on this new 2.4 and you have to be blind if you can't tell their is a big difference. Heck my previous blackbook was just as good this one with the screen. Your opinion comes from a few minutes in a store. Spend hours working and playing on one and then you would know the BIG difference.

22. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Personally I think the MacBook and MacBook Pro should be in a separate poll, or as separate poll choices.

I posted this to you in a separate thread.

Also make sure it is really what you want so you can save yourself future stress with your decision.

Best of luck!

[​IMG]

23. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Yeah, mine too. I'm still kind of fond of it but it probably could 'cook eggs', as the saying goes, and makes it sound like there's some tiny hoover permanently vacuuming my room! When I'm done transferring and saying my goodbyes I'm planning on giving it a good clean and re-install of XP and hopefully, if the hard drive doesn't die, it should be good for a little while longer for my dad to use. (He's just retired so they can retire together!)

24. jblock macrumors regular

I was pleasantly surprised with my Macbook 2.4. I was expecting the worst but the one I got over the weekend at my local Apple store is flawless, no pixel problems, no keyboard slant, no scratches. Makes me not care that it came with 8 battery cycles already out of the box.

25. Tosser macrumors 68030

Looks like you paid for a demo model.