General Saurik Server Shutdown Possible?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by glsillygili, Jan 29, 2013.

1. glsillygili macrumors 6502

glsillygili

i was thinking and what if saurik just gets sick and tired of cydia and stop updating it and shuts down his server. Everyone would lose their SHSH Blobs. so i just made sure to backup my blobs to dropbox. What would you do if you heard saurik is abandoning cydia

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's why its always good to save your blobs locally also. You never know what happens and servers do crash etc...
    As far as Saurik shutting down cydia and just walking away I dont see it happening unless he is forced to like facing a legal battle or something like that.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Saurik once tweeted that he had established multiple redundant real-time backups of the Cydia signature servers. Not that it's not a good idea to keep a local copy, too...

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not only that, Cydia is a nice revenue source, too nice, for Saurik to abandon. Even if it depends on the jailbreak. Not to mention, Saurik and friends bought out JailbreakMe 3.0 before it was sold. Their commitment to jailbreaking is unwavered.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very nice.
    Saurik is the Man.

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Think about how Cydia came to be and the passion and work that was required to develop it and make the dream into a reality.

That kind of drive doesn't dry up, and certainly should it ever someone else would step up to the plate.

Saurik isn't the kind of guy to just say "Aw, **** this ****" and run away.

As the latinist said, there are many copes :D

And as others said, it's the smartest idea to keep local copies!

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'm also sure that if he ever did decide to quit he would turn it over or sell it to the right person. besides owning Cydia Saurik is a hacker that holds his own and has helped crack codes. he was a big part of getting passed Apples sand box. I don't think you need to worry but it's also a good idea to save your blobs on you own as well. then when Cydia is over whelmed like it probably will be next week you can still access your blobs if you need too.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

He bought out rock, he buys jb site addresses for jb and makes cydia apps. His revenue alone of just apps that are sold in cydia in a year should cover the cost of his server for many years. Plus he makes some good $ with cydia.

9. glsillygili thread starter macrumors 6502

glsillygili

yea thats what a i did just in case evad3rs ends up being 6.1 only

10. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

I feel that before he just shut down cydia he would pass the torch off to someone else.

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I'm also sure that if he were to shut down his servers he would give everyone lots of advance notice.

12. dma550 macrumors 6502

I have to say, it does make me nervous buying JB apps to think that they depend upon his server infrastructure sometimes.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If there's one man I would trust and judging by his track record it would be him.
    His honesty, hard work and dedication to the JB scene speak for themselves.

14. dma550 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've had JB devices for years, but there was that one time when he bought the Rock repo, and I could not prove a license for a purchase. All in all, it was a $15.00 hotspot app, so I can hardly complain (bought a newer and better one anyhow!)

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Well, the good thing is that cydia apps are not ridiculously expensive, so the loss is not huge. I would assume if it does fail the infrastructure then a new one would come out and the repos just change their stuff to that one.