Save desk space using MBP + External Display. Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kennedy, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Kennedy macrumors member

I need a large display to do architecture work (via AutoCAD running through Boot Camp) at school. I think my best bet is to get an external display (not the LED Cinema, that's too expensive), as well as the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse. My questions is probably pretty dumb, but...

...once I connect all of the peripherals, do I need to keep my MBP open, or can I close the screen (keeping it on) and stick it on a shelf under my desk?

2. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

3. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

+1 - you will be able to use it in clam shell mode or use it as a second monitor.

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

5. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

6. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

I agree... I gotta get me one of those!

I do this all the time using a big Dell monitor at my work. I keep the MBP closed because it's not quite strong enough to push out the video signal to both monitors at the same the time reliably, sometimes I get black flickering on the Dell monitor when they are both open at once. I connect a USB hub to the MBP for handling the keyboard, mouse, and USB peripherals, and a FW800 to 400 cable attaches my MBP to a FW400 hub. All my set-up needs now is that device Steve2112 posted. :)