Save Pictures from The Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rawrmac, Oct 20, 2008.

1. rawrmac macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I just bought a new macbook and i love it. its my first mac, so far so great. but anyway. i was wondering how to save pictures from the internet (firefox) to iPhoto. Thanks for you help.

2. justind.clark macrumors member

You can just drag and drop the image onto your desktop or into a folder then drag and drop it into iPhoto.

3. sheperinski macrumors member

Or just drag them directly to the iPhoto icon in the dock

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Right click on picture, save image as.

You may need to enable right click in sys preferences under mouse and keyboard (tap trackpad with 2 fingers for secondary click). This is a right click.

Then once you've saved it, open it up with iPhoto.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok no offense to rawrmac this is just a rant.

why do some new Mac users feel the need to use Firefox straight away? this isnt Windows. the default browser Safari is very fast and lightweight and nothing like the unstansard, unsecure, ugly bloated IE.

ok im going to say that i did this and used Firefox for a while when i first used Macs but then i saw just how good Safari is and now i feel at home using it. but if you using Firefox for the familiarity or cant life without extensions then thats fine. i just love how Safari is integrated into the system for example:

in Safari you can simply right click and image and either download it, save it as, use it as your desktop or add it to your iPhoto library.

for Firefox the simplest way is to drag it to your desktop and then drag it onto the iPhoto dock icon. you can then delete it if you want as its been copied to your iPhoto library.

6. Pieface macrumors newbie

I use firefox, and im new to the macbook, but I use it due to the familiarality off it, and adblock plus. I just like cruising the internet with some stupid advert saying @WHo is this American President, Barak Obama or McCain.

Sorry for thread stealing.

7. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

plugins...when I can use safari has noscript. IE is more secure then chrome and IE8 is probably just as fast and supports web standards.

8. rawrmac thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you everyone, and to richthomas i use firefox cause im familiar with it.

9. mikeM247 macrumors member

I just tried doing just that, with a pic on my desktop...tried to drag and drop it into the iPhoto. It was rejected, saying something about it being in a format that iPhoto doesn't support? But it's a JPG, taken with the iMAC photo booth!

10. johto macrumors 6502

johto

No way in hell. Make sure its really a .jpg
    Check cmd+i "Get info" for that file. If its really jpg, then its corrupted file.

11. mikeM247 macrumors member

Under "name and extension" it says, and this is a cut and paste: Photo 11.jpg (JPEG Image, 640x480 pixels).fileloc

12. RRutter macrumors 6502

Easier just to drag the image from wherever onto your dektop and than you can re-drag it onto anything (an app, etc.) you want.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Safari has Safari AdBlock and SafariBlock, both of which do the same thing as AdBlock Plus in Windows.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The fileloc indicates it's a web link, not an image. Either you copied the link instead of the pic, or you didn't finish downloading the file.

15. mikeM247 macrumors member

Beats *me*. O well, thanks you guys. It's not working, but it's not urgent that it work at this point, either. BTW, I also have no idea why i'm not getting those Smilies to work, when i've enabled them in the User CP section.

16. emt1 macrumors 65816

This is *really* easy so don't give up that easy. Try this. Hold down control and click on the image. A menu should pop up and one of the options should be to save the image to disk.

17. mikeM247 macrumors member

I did *exactly* what you said. And whether i click on the thumbnail on the desktop, or the opened image itself, no such option is showing up on my screen. I'm getting choices like, open; open with; copy; make alias; and a bunch of others, none of which say save the image to disk. :confused:

Hey..all of a sudden the smilies started workin'! Maybe the moderator/webmaster saw my email. :D

18. emt1 macrumors 65816

Do what I said with the image on the webpage- not on the desktop.

19. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

drag the image onto iPhoto's icon from the desktop or even the webpage. cant get any easier than that… Mac style!

20. mikeM247 macrumors member

Sorry, i'm not following you. Image on =what= page? It's only on the desktop, and when i click on it it opens up..and nothing happens, even fewer options when i click on the pic itself.

21. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

Or you could do it the REALLY lazy/easy way and right click the picture and click "Add Image to iPhoto Library"! It's so simple how everything is integrated together!

22. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ thats only in Safari. thats why i asked why the OP just doesnt use Safari. i loves my integration.

23. mikeM247 macrumors member

OK guys, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I finally figured it out. It didn't go the way you were saying it would, but correct in that i'm using Firefox. Had to click on the image, then go up to the top to File, then save it to PHOTOBOOTH (there was NO SAVE TO IPHOTO OPTION), and then drag it down to the dock from there. :apple:

24. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Duh? You are making way more than needs to!

When you see an image on a webpage, using safari or firefox, just drag the image to your desktop. Make sure its a actual image (shows a thumbnail, ends with .jpg, .gif or .png, these are the most used onces) on desktop. Then you can drag it from desktop to the iphoto. No need to use photobooth!

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The confusion is, the OP asked about saving images from the web, which was answered. mikeM247 was asking about using the drag and drop method for getting a picture from his desktop to iPhoto, but it sounds like he wasn't working with a picture, but a web link to a picture. If you drag a picture from the desktop and drop it on the iPhoto icon on the dock, it will open in iPhoto just fine.