Saved $120 in data...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sundog925, Oct 22, 2012.

1. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

So far, since getting my iPhone on launch day, I have saved $120 in data by buying it outright from Verizon and keeping my unlimited.

I just wanted to point out that the phone will pay for itself less than 5 months at this rate.

This is just a retort to those who've said keeping unlimited, you end up paying more per month vs a 2 year contract.

Anyone else save as much, or more?

2. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

did you find yourself using the phone more than usual and downloading more because you felt like you had to just to justify paying full price?

3. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, never turn on wifi since the LTE is just fine and faster than wi-fi.

Normal usage.

4. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Lol, this is why they are working to get rid of the Unlimited plans. No wonder Verizon LTE speeds have been getting slower :p

5. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

i used more data last month than i did all of last year. i left LTE on all the time. i paid full price for my fiance's i5 also to keep unlimited and she has wifi on when at home. she used just over 4GB... before that she used 500MB a month. so, like you, i'm going to save serious cash because i bought both i5s unsub'zed.

6. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Verizon doesn't throttle LTE speeds, it's actually signal dependent soooo...

7. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the technology. If a bunch of people in my area have unlimited plans and are streaming high-bitrate HD Video via LTE, despite being at home where Wifi is an option, would my Verizon LTE service not get slower?

8. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It would not.

9. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

I used over 10 gigs last month. I would have had to pay through the nose had I gotten the phone subsidized which then would put me on the share everything (aka rip everyone off) plan.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I understand that it makes you feel better by acting like everyone else is a sucker, but it actually saved my family money every ,onto by switching.

I guess using 10gb is a form of bragging? I just use wifi. Should I keep track of how much & report back?

11. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not really. It's just WHY even buy the phone to keep it on wi-fi all the time and be afraid to use it off wi-fi? Live your mobile life un-hinged.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wifi will use less battery so if you're near one that's fast then I'd connect to that instead.
    And like you said it saved you money but people that dont use up more than a few GB's of data or way less it would not save them any.
    This rule applies to the small percentage of high data users.

13. sch11 macrumors member

What do you use all the data for at home? Don't you have bigger screens?

14. Applejuiced, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It would.
    More traffic and more users connected to a tower then net congestion and high usage will cause lower speeds for everyone.

That makes zero sense.
    Keep it on wifi to use up less battery and get better speeds. If you have wifi its the responsible thing to do is use it instead of trying to rack up as much carrier data as you can in order I guess to "stick it to the Man".
    These types of attitudes are childish.
    So just because I have unlimited data Im supposed to use up 30GB's of carrier data and live my life unhinged?:rolleyes:

15. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Not saying you're wrong, but this goes against everything I've read on wireless carriers, congestion, and spectrum. Do you have a source?

16. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Because it's people like you that made AT&T and VZ start throttling and killing off unlimited data in the first place. It's only a matter of time before enough people doing what you are doing ruins it for the rest of us. Congrats.

17. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I barely used 500 mb on 3G cuz it was so unbearably slow. Might as well kept my 4 if i was gonna keep it on wi-fi all the time.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What difference does it make if wifi is fast and you can do anything you do on carrier data?
    So you keep it off wifi on purpose then even if the wifi is pretty fast?

19. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gotta get my money's worth. and yes, because I can. The phone has an LTE antenna in it. USE IT.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Get your moneys worth?
    Very irresponsible remark.
    So if you have heat and hot water included on your rent you're supposed to let the hot water run all day and keep the windows open in the winter with the heat on max to get your moneys worth?
    People like you abusing it is the reason unlimited plans are gone and if it keeps up with spectrum being limited you will see throttling introduced from verizon too soon.

21. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u mad bro? maybe those 2GB will make you happy.

22. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

There are quite a few reasons to use Wifi anyway, as iOS restricts a lot of what the phone can do when not on Wifi:

• App Downloads
    • iMessage photos/videos are massively compressed
    • PhotoStream doesn't sync
    • FaceTime is much more compressed
    • Some in-app downloads are restricted to Wifi only
    • Some apps limit features and reduce video quality if not on Wifi
    • Some multi-player games won't allow you to play online if not on Wifi
    • Some apps use Wifi to transfer data between the phone and other machines on the network
    • iTunes nightly Wifi backup
    • Reduced battery life
    • Without Wifi, location services will take longer, and take more battery

You're actually missing out on quite a lot :eek:

Is it worth missing out on all of that, and adding to the congestion problem, just to say you're getting your money's worth out of your unlimited LTE plan?

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Im actually on unlimited data plan but I dont abuse it just to abuse it like you.
    Just stating the facts that's all.
    Keep it up though, people like you is what's killing it for the rest of us.

24. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

App Downloads - um, most work over LTE, your trippin
    iMessage photos/videos are massively compressed, not really, give it a try
    PhotoStream doesn't sync- mine does, maybe yours is off?
    FaceTime is much more compressed-so is skype.
    Some in-app downloads are restricted to Wifi only, or computer only, hello.
    Some apps limit features and reduce video quality if not on Wifi, LTE is faster, full vid quality
    Some multi-player games won't allow you to play online if not on Wifi, which? I have yet to encounter that
    Some apps use Wifi to transfer data between the phone and other machines on the network- not any of mine! and usually its iTunes transfers.
    iTunes nightly Wifi backup- your computer has to be on, what a waste of energy
    Reduced battery life, haven't noticed ANY change.
    Without Wifi, location services will take longer, and take more battery, theyre accurate as is.

25. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Everything I listed is restricted when not on Wifi. These are indisputable facts. I could take screenshots and post sources from official Apple documentation to support each point, but I can see the conversation would go no where.

While you may be able to convince yourself that the iPhone features you will be missing out on are not a big deal, it is a fact that you won't have them. Since you acknowledge your Wifi signal is fast enough to do everything you're doing now, there is also 0 technical benefit to not using Wifi.

However, if you prefer the psychological benefits of using LTE over these missing features, no one here will change your mind.

Have fun! :)