Saving SHSH blobs for old OS versions...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by geko29, Dec 27, 2010.

1. geko29 macrumors 6502

I just happened upon something that I hadn't seen mentioned before:

I've spent most of the morning backing up SHSH blobs with TinyUmbrella for all the iThings I'm responsible for (mostly iPT 2G and iPhone 3G and 3GS), to enable us to roll back their OS version in the future for regression testing and such. Lo and behold, for each of the 19 devices I've tried thus far, I've received blobs for every single 4.x release the device is capable of running. for the iPods, this is just 4.0, 4.1, 4.2.1. For the iPhones, I'm also getting 4.0.1 and 4.0.2, and surprisingly, 4.2b3.

I've also successfully rolled several of these devices back to 4.0 or 4.1 using iTunes on a machine that does NOT have TU installed (or an edited hosts file), and that works as well. So I know without a doubt these SHSHs came from Apple, and not from Cydia.

Not one of these devices has ever been jailbroken, and none have ever been hooked up to TU before. What they DO have in common is they're registered to our developer account. So it appears that Apple continues signing old OS versions for development devices, even after it closes the window for everyone else. I'll test this later today or tomorrow by registering my personal phone in the developer portal and seeing if I can retrieve the 4.0, 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 blobs for it. They're not currently available because my phone is a refurb replacement that I got with 4.1 in November.

Any developers or people who begged/bribed a developer to add your device to their portal, give this a whirl and see if it works for you. Looks like there is hope for accidental upgraders/recent purchasers after all!

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Check your hosts file, tiny umbrella leaves a shsh lookup redirect in there by default so requests go to cydia even if TU isnt running.

3. geko29 thread starter macrumors 6502

As I said in the snippet you quoted, I did the downgrades on a machine that has NEVER had TU installed and has a bone stock HOSTS file. Specifically, it contains 4 entries: Three for localhost (IPv4, IPv6, IPv6 auto address) and one for the IPv4 all hosts/all subnets broadcast address.

It's a production build machine, so nothing even remotely unofficial goes on it. I've been pulling the blobs on my PC laptop, which has no such constraints.

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Just checking, you didn't have to be the one that ran TU and it doesn't warn it is changing system files that I see.

Interesting and if you think about it this makes sense for testing apps on older versions. I guess they draw the line at 3.x?