Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

automan98

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
I went to the Apple Store today to see the new MacBook Air. I was waiting to make my purchase until I saw the all new Midnight. While it looks nice, and I can understand why people are really excited about it. I'm not a fan and going with Space Gray.

Just posting this thread because so many other threads are a Midnight love fest. Thought this thread could add some balance. I don't hate it. I just don't love it. Fingerprints have nothing to do with it.

(edited to correct spelling error)

Last edited:

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I went to the Apple Store today to see the new MacBook Air. I was waiting to make my purchase until I saw the all new Midnight. While it looks nice, and I can understand why people are really excited about it. I'm not a fan and going with Space Grey.

Just posting this thread because so many other threads are a Midnight love fest. Thought this thread could add some balance. I don't hate it. I just don't love it. Fingergroups have nothing to do with it.
Same here. Saw pics on the forum and didn’t like them. Went to my local store to confirm and glad I did. Not a fan (not even thinking about fingerprints), but looks like a typical Windows laptop.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I went to the Apple Store today to see the new MacBook Air. I was waiting to make my purchase until I saw the all new Midnight. While it looks nice, and I can understand why people are really excited about it. I'm not a fan and going with Space Grey.

Just posting this thread because so many other threads are a Midnight love fest. Thought this thread could add some balance. I don't hate it. I just don't love it. Fingergroups have nothing to do with it.
Hopefully, you find a color you like.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
So it’s because it looks like typical other brand. Hmm, Less Applebness I guess. The good news is now that we will see thousands of these, Appleness will increase.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Some Apple fans always want the new color so they can show it off (not sure why that’s a thing but it seems to be). Remember the Sierra Blue iPhone 13? Me either haha.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I went to the Apple Store today to see the new MacBook Air. I was waiting to make my purchase until I saw the all new Midnight. While it looks nice, and I can understand why people are really excited about it. I'm not a fan and going with Space Gray.

Different strokes for different folks.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
Some Apple fans always want the new color so they can show it off (not sure why that’s a thing but it seems to be). Remember the Sierra Blue iPhone 13? Me either haha.

See below.

Sadly, it basically plays into the main stereotype of Apple users, where many almost consider Apple products as a form of jewelry/status symbols, or something to be flaunted/shown off, instead of basing their purchases on the actual functionality, & obviously the fingerprints won't match their desired aesthetic.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022

Extremely silly reasoning there, but I'll bite. Not every color is for everyone, which is why there are multiple colors offered. Luckily for you, Space Gray should be readily available, since everyone was seemingly in "Midnight or bust" mode.

I originally had a Midnight on pre-order, but it was delayed indefinitely, so I cancelled. I was able to secure a Space Gray version for in-store pickup today, which I'm typing this on as we speak. Space Gray is still the best overall color to me. I find it extremely classy & timeless. You won't be disappointed.

Ninnyhammer

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2022
They're four grey colors. I am personally disappointed they didn't go with iMac colors.

We have light grey (silver), dark grey (space), warm grey (starlight) and cold dark grey (midnight)
This!!!!! 100% spot on. I get that it’s an expensive sophisticated machine, but you would think since it’s an air and not a pro that we could get some fun colors.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I'm looking at mine now. Negative comments are absurd. Trust me, you most likely will be Wowed. Then again, I'm very familiar with this shade from my Samsung laptop, which is almost exactly like this, so I'm use to the smudges, and don't find them offensive at all. Also, in the type of lighting at an Apple Store, it's not real-world for this shade. Most people don't use that kind of lighting, so you may miss out if you go by that. Of course you will see more smudges and prints at an Apple Store

I will say, shape wise, it's exactly like the Pros but thinner and lighter (and dead quiet :) ) Bezel 'may' be smaller. Hard to tell presently. If so, not by much.

It's odd how the lack of fan is noticeable, even though it's virtually silent with the Pro. This may be psychological, but I noticed it immediately.

Will this be a substitute for the 12" I grew attached to? The previous Air wasn't. We shall see.

Last edited:

nfl_brah

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2020
I'm looking at mine now. Negative comments are absurd. Trust me, you most likely will be Wowed. Then again, I'm very familiar with this shade from my Samsung laptop, which is almost exactly like this, so I'm use to the smudges, and don't find them offensive at all. Also, in the type of lighting at an Apple Store, it's not real-world for this shade. Most people don't use that kind of lighting, so you may miss out if you go by that. Of course you will see more smudges and prints at an Apple Store

I will say, shape wise, it's exactly like the Pros but thinner and lighter (and dead quiet :) ) Bezel 'may' be smaller. Hard to tell presently. If so, not by much.

It's odd how the lack of fan is noticeable, even though it's virtually silent with the Pro. This may be psychological, but I noticed it immediately.

Will this be a substitute for the 12" I grew attached to? The previous Air wasn't. We shall see.
I think you’ve found your new (updated) 12”, enjoy it.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia

I checked out the new MacBook Airs today as well. I had a similar reaction.

I expected to like Midnight the most, but I much preferred the new Starlight colour. Silver and Space Grey both looked great, as usual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.