Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chateaunole-du-Pape

macrumors regular
May 25, 2022
My first starlight experience was startling: I thought it was silver. Not to infer that's a bad thing, it's just that it's subtle. I think that's what Apple was going for here.
Same. Fortunately there was a silver nearby, and having that as a point of reference made it much easier to identify the Starlight. A subtly warm silver. Love it.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Exactly what I did. Just received my pre order which is a midnight. Yesterday I went to apple store and wasn’t a fan. Took out my iPhone and ordered a space grey. I also have your same shipping dates. I will not be opening the one I received today. I will be returning it to apple store this weekend. Only a 10 min drive. The one I received today is basic config. The space gray I upgraded to 512gb/67w power brick.

Nice. I thought about upgrading the SSD but ended up sticking with my original 8/16/256 (35w) build. While space grey might be a little boring at this point, it’s still a great color and arguably more practical. I think it’d be neat to see Apple offer a space grey like color with hints of green (similar to alpine green but more subtle and more grey). Of course I say this now but would likely end up just opting for the standard space grey lol.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Nice. I thought about upgrading the SSD but ended up sticking with my original 8/16/256 (35w) build. While space grey might be a little boring at this point, it’s still a great color and arguably more practical. I think it’d be neat to see Apple offer a space grey like color with hints of green (similar to alpine green but more subtle and more grey). Of course I say this now but would likely end up just opting for the standard space grey lol.

Going to the apple store yesterday and spending 15-20 mins looking at them and eventually using the space gray more I made my decision. I’ve never had a space gray apple device. I always go for the new color. Typically on all my iPhones but within hours I just slap a spigen case on it and call it a day. With the MacBook is a little different of course.

Nudelpalm

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2022
I went to the Apple Store today to see the new MacBook Air. I was waiting to make my purchase until I saw the all new Midnight. While it looks nice, and I can understand why people are really excited about it. I'm not a fan and going with Space Gray.

Just posting this thread because so many other threads are a Midnight love fest. Thought this thread could add some balance. I don't hate it. I just don't love it. Fingerprints have nothing to do with it.

(edited to correct spelling error)
Well it’s supposed to be fanless so not a fan is technically the correct term.

• Haha
Reactions: New York

Belle Pomme

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2020
I don't have an Apple Store near me so I can't seem them in person :( tough because I am very torn between Midnight and Starlight at the moment. Think I'm gonna go Starlight though, if only because it seems like the safer choice.

Tbh I have never noticed fingerprints on my Space Grey MBP, though, and I'm sure they're there.

Yes, at least my Midnight Blue Air will be clean! I suppose my old space grey must be rather filthy but I can't see it.

Reactions: New York

passingapple

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2012
I suppose I am in the minority but "my" fingerprints on my MBA doesn't bother me at all. ;)
Now if it's someone else's, yeah it's different and I would totally mind, ahem, but otherwise I just don't care on how random people could judge the look outside.
Potential scratches is something to think, for sure, but I am not buying a museum piece nor planning to sell it in 2 years. I had MBA '12 for 8+ years before trading it to Apple for credit to get ready to buy MBA M2. Besides unlike a phone, which i do use a case/screen protector, I never drop a laptop or carry around all the time and expose to a potential drop. I did check out both midnight and starlight in person and starlight was basically silver to me (unless it's under yellowish light).

Ninnyhammer

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2022
Just picked up my starlight and IMO it’s the perfect tint of gold. I was worried it might just look like frosted silver. (I have a silver watch and phone and wanted something different). Funny, I almost went with midnight because before launch the apple store employee was gushing over how “sexy” the new blue/black color was. And that’s great for those who like it, but I love lighter colors. So I am glad I went with starlight. I think, no matter what color you like, don’t let other people’s opinion sway you from being you.

Attachments

• 4270EB08-95B6-4E86-BDF0-D9EDC023C027.jpeg
    4270EB08-95B6-4E86-BDF0-D9EDC023C027.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 73

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Went to the store today. The demo midnight was loaded with prints. Oddly enough trying to add prints from my fingers didn’t seem to add. Guess I’m not as oily as others.

Either way I decided to cancel my day of release midnight order and did a new one for silver.

One of you lucky people out there will be getting a midnight 16gb /1TB MBA a few days early.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.