Saw someone steal an iPhone. What do I do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Boesky, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2009
    I was entering a room and I saw someone picking up an iPhone from off of the floor. How can I get Apple to track the device so they can report it stolen to AT&T?
  2. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2009
  3. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2008
    uh... what if said person owned the iPhone?

... it's just a phone, just a phone
  4. XciteMe macrumors 6502

May 21, 2009
    Santa Monica, CA
    Why didn't you say something at that moment? If your morals are so important, you should and would have.

Unless they were 6 foot 4, 250 pounds and packing a gun, you had no excuse not to say anything to them or announce it out loud.
  5. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

Aug 1, 2008
    Not true. It's the owner's responsibility to safeguard their phone. It's also their job to get it back or take care of it otherwise. Apple offers features for that purpose.
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Don't worry, it was Steve Jobs stealing the phone for quality control testing.

Plus, he probably wanted a vegi pizza from Pizza Hut, and didn't have his phone.
  7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Correction, Apple offers a service for a fee for purposes such as theft or loss. However, most people would and should disagree that it is not an onlooker's issue to report a crime. Sure, it is the owner's responsibility, but if we say that no one should look out for another human then what is the point? Every man for them self is not a theory I like to live by ... maybe you do, in that case I hope nothing bad ever happens to me in front of a person like you.

OP: There's not much you can do now, unfortunately.
  8. Battery Pulse macrumors member

Battery Pulse

Oct 7, 2009
    United States
    I don't think there's much you can do, if any. If you know the person who owned the iPhone, you could let him know and he could take of from there. Otherwise, I don't think there's anything you can do.
  9. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Aug 21, 2007
    Maybe you stole the iPhone and want to know if you can be tracked!!
  10. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

Mar 26, 2009
    Denver, CO
    He saw someone grab a phone off the floor that may have been theirs in the first place. And you think he should just start announcing it out loud?:rolleyes:

OP, what makes you think it wasn't their phone in the first place?
  11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

Feb 19, 2008
    Logic fail - you jumped to a conclusion. It could have been that person's phone.

If you were concerned, you should hve immeditately asked - "Did you drop your iPhone?". Depending on the response you could have offered to take the person and phone to lost and found, told the person that at least the owner can track the phone with MobileMe, recommended a case to protect against damage...
  12. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Even if it wasn't their phone, how do you know they weren't taking it to lost and found?
  13. thep33t macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2009
  14. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2009
    You think they would tell me it wasnt their phone?
  15. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2009
    Maybe it was the aftermath of another Steve-Ballmer-attempted-stomp.
  16. Becordial macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2009
    This is why it was dropped in the first place

17. thelatinist macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2009
    Connecticut, USA
    Aww, they took out all the wit in this thread. I really can't see the point of having a random thread about an invented issue if we can't make fun of the person who posted it.

ETA: at least they didn't ban me for troll baiting this time.
  18. kicko macrumors 65816

Aug 26, 2008
    The best you can do is ask them if they have seen a iphone around, and that your friend can't seem to find theirs. Then you put their morals to the test.

What would you do if they gave you the iphone?
  19. Acronym macrumors 68000

Apr 26, 2008
    not everyone is a mac junkie and requires all mac products :p

it is possible that the "friend" doesnt have mobile me
  20. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Aug 8, 2008
    I just love the twisted sense of "morality" people display on threads like these. The OP said he entered a room and saw someone pick up a phone. There were no other details given.

Someone who spots something on the floor or on the ground will naturally pick it up. That doesnt mean that they are instantly thieves.

1. As others pointed out this could be that person's iPhone which they dropped.

2. This person may have merely found someone else's phone--finding something is NOT stealing. The finder may try to locate the owner if possible which would be nice. If the iPhone is locked with a passcode however, then returning it more difficult for the *average* person.

Have you ever found a dollar on the street and picked it up? By this logic you are a thief and deserve to be reported to the police.

People need to take responsibilty for their belongings. Losing an item doesn't mean its "stolen". If you dropped your iPhone on the street wouldn't you want someone to pick it up before it got walked on, or rained on so that there is at least the possibility that it can be returned? The way these threads read, if I personally saw an iPhone on the street I'd just leave it there. God knows, some nutty fanboy has reported it stolen and thus I'd get into trouble for trying to be a good samaritan.
  21. eawmp1 macrumors 601

Feb 19, 2008
    You both fail in recognizing the subtle art of fishing for information through indirect questioning. Please read my post again and THINK of my implied line of thinking before you respond.
  22. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Sep 12, 2009
    The lost my iphone feature from MobileMe should be free.
  23. samcraig macrumors P6

Jun 22, 2009
    Or how about "Hey Bob - I left my iPhone in the other room - can you grab it for me since you're going back inside anyway? Thanks"