say no to cracked apps, true story!!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iLover1, Dec 10, 2010.

1. iLover1 macrumors member

my buddy has a JB 3GS, sucker downloaded some cracked apps trhough a few cydia repos, his device now acts very weird, even after deleting the mentioned apps, mobile substrates are still embeded on the phone, so the apps continue to ramdomly appear :D.
    We deleted everything via shsh and still the phone freezes randomly every few minutes asking for a respring. He now has to restore and reJB.
    ( evil laugh) hahaha stay away from "free" apps people, just a little advise.

Peace.

2. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

Why the evil laugh?

It's his fault for downloading cracked apps. Most of us do not Jailbreak for cracked apps. Even then, I would tell your "buddy" to restore as new to avoid any potential piggybacking of said software.

3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

And that is the danger of the "open" system/app process certain people want to fight for. :rolleyes:

I will say that I'm tempted to get apps that I have paid for on the iPhone but are 5x more expensive on the iPad.

4. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Unless he is at an older baseband, I'd make sure he does a complete DFU restore, and doesn't try this again.

There are antipiracy libraries that are available for app developers, and usually the cracked apps just remove a few calls to them, leaving calls to detect piracy or not present, so the app will eventually detect that is is pirated and start doing evil things to a phone.

5. iLover1 thread starter macrumors member

Evil laugh: cause I told him not to add the repos, they are a big temptation once you have them on. :p

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

wait a minute is a phone thief saying its not ok the steal apps?

7. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

It's just karma. In order for the ecosystem to grow, we have to take care of it and that means paying for apps. If we want individuals to continue to spend their time creating amazing software for us to use, we need to support their efforts financially. I'm sure most of you will agree.

8. iLover1 thread starter macrumors member

I never said its not ok, If you read the post carefully, unlike you I did not judge anyone for their actions, that is not up to me , we are all adults I hope and are responsible for our own acts.

Thief hahahah good one. :D

9. iLover1 thread starter macrumors member

Notice, I only shared the story to advise for those thinking of downloading copy righted material, I did not say ITS OK OR NOT OK to do it, use your common sense for this.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

lol i still never judged you for being a theif, that doesnt bother me one bit but being called what you are sure does bother you

got a guilty conscience?

and really you still never answered my question on the other thread

did you say "yoinks" when you stole it?

11. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

lol

12. iLover1 thread starter macrumors member

If you still wish to debate about this matter, I suggest locating the post where you accuse me of stealling, if you wish to post on this thread, please stick to the topic. :mad:

13. qckslvrsiete, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

I don't think there's a post where anyone accused you of stealing, but there was definitely one where you admitted to finding and keeping lost property without trying to find the owner, which in many states, and in fact the state you live, is legally considered stealing.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1059577

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

especially if you find it in a private establishment like a bar, restaurant, movie theatre

iLover loves to bring up dictionaire deffinitions but I never seeing in the deffinition of the word "owning" do they talk about the finders keeps clause

15. iLover1 thread starter macrumors member

Thread ruined due to unrelated posts. many thks. :mad:

16. milamber macrumors regular

How about when you just picked up a phone without doing anything whatsoever about even TRYING to find the original owner?

17. Los macrumors regular

What kind of cracked apps we talking about? I personally don't like having cracked apps, I did it when I first got Installous because I didn't have money back then, but now that I do, I buy whatever I think is worth my money. Specially games. However, I still install cracked apps to have a bit of a full preview, and if I like it, then I buy the actual app from the developer. I can't stand cracked apps because I then can't install them if I decide to update to the latest official iOS.

But what about jailbroken apps? I definitely don't do this much, and only install the crack unless I absolutely need it.

18. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Free Apps = No
    Free iPhone = HELL YEAH!!!!!!!1

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

But if I find the app in a bar say on the toilet seat is it still a cracked app or am I safe?

20. iLover1 thread starter macrumors member

Well if you want to get into it:

Argue with yourself :D

21. iLover1 thread starter macrumors member

Finding an bunch of code on a toilet seat sounds a bit unreal, but sue yourself.

22. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

fail

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Always use protection if you decide to do it in a bars bathroom:D

24. CZK macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]