Sbsettings will not stay open

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jdaniel, Apr 9, 2011.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

So Sbsettings will no stay open, when I open the page where I can arrange my toggle or anything for that matter in Sbsettings it will close in 3 or so seconds will not stay open.

I have restored it to pwned... I was on 4.3.1 , I tried to move it to 4.2.1 didnt install anything else other an sbsettings to test it out... same problem....
    now that just doesnt make sense.... because I have not restored it to any backup I made... and this problem is new... so...... only thing that has been done was the Cydia upgrades.....

Any ideas... only reason now I see is the Cydia upgrades.. because i have nothing else on there....

2. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

anyone? I tried another few restores and no luck I did 4.3.1 again... installed sbsettings... no problems.. installed infinifolders..... problem started... uninstall infinifolders.. no fix.. thing is.. I suspect it has something to do with mobile substrate.. when I see something being installed i see a whole bunch of crap being loaded onto it but when it is being uninstalled those things are not uninstalled... which is why i cant troubleshoot properly and with sbsettings not working i cant go into mobilesubstrate settings and deactivate some stuff ......

so now i amon 4.3.1 and i ve not installed sbsettings... coz i dont wanna have something thats not working which could possibly screw things up anyways so any ideas?

3. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

DO NOT INSTALL FBphotosave

I have 4.3.1 JB and Sbsettings....... do not install FBphotosave.. I have narrowed it down to that, it causes Sbsettings to autoclose when you try and open it to configure stuff. Only way to fix it is to restore.. nothing will fix it.. u can reinstall sbsettings... u can reinstall mobile substrate.. u can do the same for fbphotosave and nothing......

Cant explain it and no ones responding so I have no idea why.

4. LMD75 macrumors 6502

Just to let you know that I am getting the same issue with 4.2.1 and do not have FBphotosave installed.

5. mrlowkey macrumors member

Greetings from the tiny island of Singapore...long time lurker..1st time member here at your awesome forum...

In another thread...LMD75 is correct in his observation abt the banner display being active...my sbsettings kept crashing like you all have been experiencing...i went 1 step further and put my unit in airplane mode ( no wifi no 3g) in order to prevent the ad banner trying to connect to the internet...it worked..

I could now click on "more" and do whatever changes I needed...no more crashing...followed by the std respring..
    After the respring the changes were made

...then I turned OFF airplane mode and went into sbsettings again ..and it crashed again...which could mean that the ad banner thingy was unable to connect to its server which automatically shutdown sbsettings.

Hope this methods works for you

6. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

what are the odds I happen to be here at the moment as well...

yes I have discovered that when the ad loads properly its fine... when it doesnt it closes.. and I have no idea whats preventing the ads from loading...

7. LMD75 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks mrlowkey. Setting airplane mode works for me too.

I am located in Finland and the More app crashes with a normal 3g or wifi connection. However if I set my UK VPN toggle, English ad banners load and it never crashes.

8. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I have noticed that this problem comes and goes and has no relation to anything else you might do.... i have done some things that MIGHT have fixed it according to the sbsettings website but.. it also has NOT worked... it is not consistent.. after applying these 'fixes' it is a mixed bag but.. I guess comparing with totally not working before it might be a improvement?

try this..

you need to be in developer mode in cydia..
    manage > top left > settings > developer..

now search: cmds... reinstall

"5) If you are on 3.0 this will not work for you. Do not report that the more app crashes. It’s not a problem with sbsettings. It’s in your jailbreak. To properly make it work on 3.0 beta, you require a private, not yet released kernel patch and to fix your crashing on loading the more app, you need to install the package that includes dirname. (It will be installed on a real 3.0 release build). Look for one of the *-cmds packages like “adv-cmds”, “file-cmds”, “shell-cmds” or just install all 3."

And reboot...not respring but reboot.. and well like i said mixed bag.. so.. if someone else could try... I also reinstalled anything else thats already in there thats cmds but not listed here. like system...

I dont think this is a real fix tho results too inconsistent to mean anything

9. mrlowkey macrumors member

Oh hi...jdaniel..small world isn't it? anyway my problem solved as long as i put it in airplane mode...was able to get into "more" and changes saved...didn't even bother with what the ad banner was doing in the background...lol

Btw was yr problem resolved? Tks

10. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

no nothing solves it LOL i tried too many things to list... it can even be a fresh restore and the problem is there... which leads me to believe its a sbsettings problem

11. LMD75 macrumors 6502

jdaniel - Just tried reinstalling the 4 cmds packages and rebooted.. problem still exists.

The only 100% way of correcting this is to enable Airplane mode and in my personal case.. a UK VPN connection.

I am thinking of installing one of those system wide ad blockers to see if it makes a difference.

12. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

r u talking about iad or adblockers? those dont work if you are talking about something else lemme know.. :) I found a link to some old write up about it but the link is dead..

13. LMD75 macrumors 6502

Just installed sbAdblockToggle to see the effect on our problem. When installed and activated, sbsettings launches a 'Permissions Error' popup stating that 'an ad blocking host file is installed..' which does not allow this.

On a different note, the above tweak did block system ads within Cydia and Safari but the performance hit was too much for my likings.

14. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

ok so back to square one.. I am starting to think theres nothing we can do... on our end to fix this.. this seems to be purely an issue with sbsettings ad nonsense causing it to crash when it fails to connect to the ad server.. so only way is when it doesnt have net.... so many a program that totally blocks net for specific program would solve it... but then i tried firewall ip and well it SHOULD have blocked all connections but that doesnt fix it.... maybe something else will

15. LMD75 macrumors 6502

May be coincidence but I have rebooted 10 times in a row and cannot get it to crash anymore.

Also I am getting all English Ad banners - no foreign ads! I am not connected via a VPN or have Airplane mode enabled.

All I did was install OpenSSH; MobileTerminal (NEW); reset the root p/w and enabled the OpenSSH toggle.

Also I made sure that my hosts. file was clean as it did have other crap in there.

Maybe something has been 'fixed' at the ad end?

16. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah this is my number 5ths or 6th restore since last nite LOL trying to figure out this bug.. haha I too have open ssh... also have the 520 xsellize version of mobile terminal... eh... I have not reset root pw.... open ssh toggle is enabled.. but i doubt these things affect it.. coz i had this before and well whenever restored from backup and after i did the aptbackup restore it screwed up but not this time.. NO IDEA why... haha

these hosts files u r talking about.. tell me more.. what, where r they? ps I prefer to use iphone explorer than ssh... so maybe i can go in there to check

17. LMD75 macrumors 6502

I am not an expert in this area but this is my hosts file (located in /private/etc). Make sure you back it up first. Mine had lots of crap put in there from sources /adblockers /??? etc It's worth checking with someone more knowledgeable but I believe it should be like this..

##
    # Host Database
    #
    # localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
    # when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
    ##
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    ::1 localhost
    fe80::1%lo0 localhost

18. LMD75 macrumors 6502

It was coincidence - its back to its old tricks again :(

19. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

try this: http://www.modyouri.com/adblock-toggle/1-adblock-toggle-block-ads-system-wide.html

I dont know what software or phone version ur using but... for me when i click on the toggle u cant follow the instructions exactly.. you just click... it resprings... then try.... once it resprings.. the toggle shows off....

but when i open sbsettings more... the ad doesnt appear but it doesnt close...i have it open here and no ad.. and no closing.. weird... may be a fix dunnoes.. try it n report back if u can..

20. jdaniel, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I was just looking at it and now after I've done the adblock toggle thing I look at it again and its different:

## APPLE KILL-SWITCH START ##
    0.0.0.0 iphone-services.apple.com
    ## APPLE KILL-SWITCH END ##
    ## ADDED BY HACKULOUS SECURITY ##
    91.121.24.50 appulous.org
    91.121.24.50 www.appulous.org
    91.121.24.50 cydia.appulous.org
    91.121.24.50 apt.appulous.org
    91.121.24.50 ftp.appulous.org
    91.121.24.50 hackulous.org
    91.121.24.50 www.hackulous.org
    91.121.24.50 cydia.hackulous.org
    91.121.24.50 apt.hackulous.org
    91.121.24.50 ftp.hackulous.org
    91.121.24.50 installous.com
    91.121.24.50 www.installous.com
    91.121.24.50 cydia.installous.com
    91.121.24.50 apt.installous.com
    91.121.24.50 ftp.installous.com
    91.121.24.50 crackulous.net
    91.121.24.50 www.crackulous.net
    91.121.24.50 cydia.crackulous.net
    91.121.24.50 apt.crackulous.net
    91.121.24.50 ftp.crackulous.net
    91.121.24.50 haklab.com
    91.121.24.50 www.haklab.com
    91.121.24.50 cydia.haklab.com
    91.121.24.50 apt.haklab.com
    91.121.24.50 ftp.haklab.com
    91.121.24.50 themonkeysball.com
    91.121.24.50 www.themonkeysball.com
    91.121.24.50 cydia.themonkeysball.com
    91.121.24.50 apt.themonkeysball.com
    91.121.24.50 ftp.themonkeysball.com
    ## END HACKULOUS SECURITY ##

No idea... wtf this all means LOL it wasnt there before....

21. LMD75 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just reinstalled SbAdblockToggle as you suggested and held finger on Adblock toggle for 5 secs. It automatically patches SBs and a few apps to not display ads without having to enable the toggle.

You may be right.. This may be a fix. Do you still have SbAdblockToggle installed?

When its disabled my hosts file contains the same dodgy looking urls as yours. When its enabled, the hosts file is huge abd does its blocking.

22. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's hard to figure it out but now it seems it does stay on and well whether enabled or not it seems to have solved the issue ads don't load but it doesnt close. I think we have found the fix !!!!!! :) I had it off this whole time and ads still didn't load n didn't close but now I have it on

23. LMD75 macrumors 6502

jdaniel - Mine has not crashed once since installing Adblock and patching the apps :)

Also it looks as though it is patched permanently as ads no longer load on SBS.

The good thing is that I can now turn on Adblock for Cydia and switch it off for Safari.

Many thanks for your help.

24. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

How do u do that ? Yeah np just took some intense intense googling spread the word on the other thread let's fix this bugger hehe

25. LMD75 macrumors 6502

Do you mean patching? That is done by holding down the AdBlock icon is SBS for 5 seconds.