Scalpers at Apple Stores

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JawneeWin, Sep 20, 2014.

1. JawneeWin macrumors 6502

Thought I'd share this video. Gives some insight on what's going on at lines at Apple stores. It's getting worse and worse every year. Sadly, it ruins that "Apple" experience for many people who truly do want to buy a phone for their own personal use.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

On behalf of the human race, I want to extend our most sincere apologies for this embarrassing behavior.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

What behavior is that, are you talking about the video that is full of crass?

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes.

5. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I haven't seen the bottom video.. pretty interesting.

It's both cool AND disturbing how people get over these devices. Strange paradox. I like my phone.. but sometimes the global situation looks more like a religion than a piece of technology.

:apple:

6. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I wish Apple could do something about this but they may be powerless.

7. MiamiC70 macrumors regular

Pieces of **** every last one of the scumbags

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Can you elaborate how they're "scumbags?"

9. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

because of this many of us left out in the cold couldn't get one.

10. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Didn't Apple one year only allow credit cards for purchase? I don't understand why they are not still doing that.

11. k2001 macrumors newbie

Why do you deserve an iPhone more than they do?

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

So what about all the people on this board who parade the fact that they purchased two models fully knowing they will return one, or how about all the other people who couldn't wait to try them out in person so they ordered their phone but now have buyers remorse and will exchange it for a different model, what about those people?

The fact is they got in line first and paid full price up front with cash, is that not allowed?

----------

Yes and Apple got a lot of heat for that, it was for the first iPad in 2010 and shortly after the story got all over the news they reversed that policy.

13. Dyce macrumors member

I went to my local apple store today and saw about 4 guys buying iPhone 6's over and over again. They said they were only allowed to buy 2 per transaction so they had to go back to standing in line. They had backpacks full of iPhones.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Of course he did. It's called "sense of entitlement". Do you not have it?

15. Rogo117 macrumors regular

While at first I disagreed with the term "scumbags", a majority of them actually were. I stood outside of the Upper West Apple store for 5 hours and didn't make it anywhere, but the way that the streets were trashed was beyond belief. Cardboard boxes, cups, food anything you could think of was just left there. They didn't even bother to throw anything into the trash cans.

Even at one instance a person next to me threw a DD food bag on sidewalk, needless to say I asked them politely to throw it away in the trash at the end of the block. They didn't understand me and ignored me until I began to raise my voice and go off on them.

You can go watch all of the videos and pictures from all of the NYC Apple store lines, it's truly disturbing.

Second point is that all the people that really want to get iPhones can't because all of the scalpers are cutting lines with their "friends" or "family" and buying up stock. It's quite ridiculous.

16. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple has done the "Credit/Debit card only" policy before, failed. They have tried the "2 per Apple ID" and that failed.

People will get up in arms over anything.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It will only get worst, much worst. It is our own fault.

18. bibigon macrumors member

They're not destroying the phones you know - someone else is using the phone instead. It seems pretty zero sum.

19. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

at least ill keep mine and not actually put it out on the market to sell for a higher price!

20. k2001 macrumors newbie

I agree that cutting in line and not cleaning after oneself deserve to be call scumbags, however with his statement he implied the minority that do clean up after themselves and do wait patiently in line are scumbags too.

21. illutionz macrumors 65816

Because they are professional line sitters paid by big reseller group who are bringing the phone back to China.

Of course this is the essence of capitalism and they are not breaking the law. I hope Apple launched their products in China as their Day 1 launch so we can reduce this insanity.

I'm getting my phone from online preorder so this does not affect me whatsoever but then again if you don't give a **** about anything that doesn't affect you then might as well be an apathetic stone.

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And is this what makes one a scumbag?

23. 617aircav Suspended

This is what capitalism is all about. Make a buck however way you can, legally. I see nothing wrong with scalpers, after it 2 phones per person. I sold my second one to a scalper at $100 mark up while in line. I pretty much made $100 for doing nothing, as I was in line all night anyway. Its not like they can buy up 10 phones, there is a limit of two for everyone.

24. owzer, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

owzer macrumors newbie

What is disturbing is that this video only profiles the Asians in line as well as the NYC "policeman" that was caught on tape acting unprofessionally. Wonder how many people of other ethnicities will be queuing up if they had a means of hawkering their iPhones for a $2000-$3000 profit?

PS. To some of you I say, be thankful of your privileged lives. Can't imagine how desperate I'd have to be in order to give up 2 days of my life to make money this way...

25. 617aircav Suspended

I don't get it. They didn't steal the phone, the bought it. Its theirs to do as they wish.