Scanned Pics Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Freis968, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I am using a Canon LiDE 200 scanner and Photoshop Elements 6 to scan photos from the 1990's to 1980's. I scanned a particular pic of myself where I look rather "round" in the face. After I scan the picture I appear to have lost all the roundness and appear to be rather thin and as if I had lost 20lbs. My shoulders also appear much tighter in and not as broad.

What could be causing this "thinning" of people in the scanned photos?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Somewhere in your process, the aspect ration is being changed. For instance, if the original is 4x5, and there is a preset to resize it to 4x6 - without locking aspect ratio - it'll result in the distortion you're seeing.

3. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Oh boy, is there a program that will take wrongly scanned photos and correct them? I have done tons of pics before I realzed this was happening.

4. Chris14 macrumors regular

Chris14

I personally use VueScan. Well worth the money, an EXCELLENT piece of software. For the sheer time you will spend scanning your priceless memories, you might as well invest a little for results. Regardless, aspect ratio shouldn't be an issue whatever program you are using.

My motto: If in doubt, fiddle with preferences. :D

Good luck!

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I would leave it 1:1 (no resizing). Then, if you need to crop to specific size (such as 4x6), you will have control over what gets left out. Cropping won't cause the distortion you're seeing.

You shouldn't have to resize, unless you need to reduce file size for the web or other medium. If it needs to be done, then resize with the aspect ratio locked.

6. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Well, the issue I have is that I have already scanned probably about 1,000 pics and I need to see if I can fix the aspect ratio. Is that possible or am I ****ed?

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you can group them by the same source aspect ratio, then you can do them in a batch at a time - through Photoshop or perhaps an Automator workflow (possibly using iPhoto).

8. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

How would you go about doing this? What are the steps?