Scanning Barcodes from the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple Pie, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Apple Pie macrumors newbie

Came across this article - Geeknuz editors tried to get an infrared scanner at the Apple Store to scan a receipt barcode from the screen of the iPhone. Alas, it failed. I guess we won't be buying movie tickets online and scanning our way into the theater with the iPhone anytime soon :(

http://www.geeknuz.com/nuz/2007/07/iphone-a-no-go-.html

2. powerinthelines macrumors newbie

iPhone Scanning- More News and Events

Hey,

If you are interested in iphone and mobile scanning technology, you could visit www.iphonescan.com

They are blogging about iPhone scanning news. You would also think about medical scanning.

3. powerinthelines macrumors newbie

What you can do also is...

You can also just take a picture of barcodes, and have a digital/virtual scanning program that reviews the picture. I think that's the way most companies are going right now who want to make products available to people through the internet when they go into the store, they take a picture of their product and find prices online.

4. mrbrown macrumors 6502

It's not impossible to scan a barcode from an LCD screen - the TSA has been testing it with mobile boarding passes in a few airports throughout the country since last year.

It does require special equipment, though, and the people who have tried using the mobile boarding passes have reported less than perfect results.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

6. jwtseng macrumors member

I use CardStar with my BlockBuster and library cards loaded. They both scan just fine from the iPhone screen. Have to hold it a little bit off perpendicular to the scanner, I think. Otherwise, no problem. The only difficulty I've run into is convincing the BB lackeys to scan the iPhone.

7. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram