Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When Apple releases iOS 17 in the fall, anyone who tends to use their iPhone's camera to scan QR codes can expect to find the process a little easier, thanks to a small but significant change coming in Apple's latest mobile operating system.

qr-code-ios-17.jpg

Apple first introduced iPhone Camera app support for QR code scanning in iOS 11. Back then, the URL link that the QR code generated would appear as though it was a push notification at the top of the screen.

Perhaps because this implementation was inelegant or confusing for some users, Apple in iOS 13 decided to redesign QR code scanning so that the link appeared as a yellow button within the camera viewfinder itself. However, in doing so, it created a new problem: The button would rove around in the viewfinder if the camera lens was also in motion, which made tapping it even more tricky than before.

Thankfully, in iOS 17, Apple has made another small, and this time welcome, change that improves the situation immeasurably. Now when you scan a QR code, the link button automatically appears at the bottom of the Camera interface. So instead of chasing the dancing link around the viewfinder, you can simply tap its fixed location above the shutter button.

In fact, there is a way you can get the QR code link to behave in a similar manner in iOS 16: As soon as you move the camera so that the QR code is no longer within the shot, it should drop to the bottom of the viewfinder and stay there. Still, when iOS 17 arrives later this year, you'll no longer need to perform this additional action to successfully tame an itinerant link.

Article Link: Scanning QR Codes With Your iPhone Is About to Get Easier in iOS 17

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It wasn't floating at the start, I don't know who made it that way, which is counter-intuitive. Who would use their thumb to chase the link all the time? And don't you dare to copy the link for later use, it's even more counter-intuitive in the current way.

vOne1

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2018
It's not much different as now. If you hold your iPhone in front of an QR code, and right after that remove it, the link will go to the bottom for you to press. The only difference I see now, is that it will go to the bottom right away. Easier, sure :D

Reactions: bcollett

1800AirTAG

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2014
Or just use the built in “QR scanner” app which scans and auto redirects to the linked item.

Does anyone else have the issue that if you use the QR option from Control Center that it struggles with focusing? It feels like they removed auto-focus if you launch the camera using the QR option. Maybe I can just get rid of that Control Center option, I thought maybe it helped with the system not getting rid of the link so easily, so maybe I will just get rid of the button from Control Center.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
In IOS 15 or 14?. it worked automatically. You scanned and it opened the link. Now the elegant solution is a 2 step process. All Android phones do it in a single step and nobody is angry at “hard to take photo of a QR code” (but we are at the hard to scan a QR code). That dancing of the code is proof that Apple executives does not use their products. 3 years or more to come up with that solution????.

• Disagree
Reactions: noraa

Lyrics23

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2023
Good, but why isn't there a native way to read a QR code from a photo?
Or even straight from any QR code on-screen. Taking a screenshot would be perfect, if it recognised QR-codes (& text recognition) right there as another actionable option.

Better than taking a screenshot, letting iCloud Photos sync, opening the screenshot on a different device, then using the camera to look at that screen, then deleting the original screenshot.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
In IOS 15 or 14?. it worked automatically. You scanned and it opened the link. Now the elegant solution is a 2 step process. All Android phones do it in a single step and nobody is angry at “hard to take photo of a QR code” (but we are at the hard to scan a QR code). That dancing of the code is proof that Apple executives does not use their products. 3 years or more to come up with that solution????.
Security!

Rob__Mac

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2021
Hackney, London
That's not new? The static yellow button came in last year or the year before… I remember it getting easier to scan menus during Covid!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.