Scared of using Apple Watch

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I hardly wear my Apple Watch because I’m scared of getting it scratched or getting it greasy. It’s kind of ruined my experience with the Apple Watch as I simply cannot bring myself to wearing/using it.

is anyone else the same?
Why get it if you won't wear it? I've had mine for over a year and dinged/beat it off of all kinds of things all the time and there's barely any scratches on it, just tiny little micro scratches.

Reactions: crazynewf7

ufgatorvet

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2010
Savannah, GA
I have CDO, it's like OCD but with the letters in the correct order, as it should be.

My wife got me a birthday card that said something like that, and thought it was funny.

I think about those things too, but after the first scratch, rock ding, shopping cart ding, etc, it's easier from then on!

Johnhimm

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2013
I hardly wear my Apple Watch because I’m scared of getting it scratched or getting it greasy. It’s kind of ruined my experience with the Apple Watch as I simply cannot bring myself to wearing/using it.

is anyone else the same?
Don't be scared young man

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I have a $130,000 car I was initially scared to drive and get scratches on...I got over that pretty quick.

Itinj24

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
New York
LOL!

Anyway....I try to do the same with stuff I buy. Keep sneakers nice and clean, actually untie them instead of slipping on an off. Hand wash a car, protect that iPhone screen etc ect.

But once the big scratch down the door happens, or after a month or so...my sneakers get scuffed and stay tied. The car goes through the automatic washer after a year, not very frequently. and so on....

I also try not to get sucked into the "saving it for resale" either.
Same here. Nobody wants the scratches or the scuffs. Would love if everything stayed fresh forever but that’s not reasonable or realistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: StumpyBloke

BSG75

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
Don't be too afraid of getting scratches or scuffs on your watch. Watches are meant to be worn and enjoyed. It will inevitably pick up a few scratches along the way. Think of it as part of the watch's story as it travels through life with you.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2012
England
Same here. Nobody wants the scratches or the scuffs. Would love if everything stayed fresh forever but that’s not reasonable or realistic.
I think the OP lit the touch paper on this thread and has done a runner!

For the love of God(c) just enjoy your stuff!! We’ll all be dead soon, we ain’t coming back, this ain’t a rehearsal, we can’t take it with us. Just live it and enjoy it!

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
I'll just add that I got two Watches. One's a Series 3 and another a 5. Both are the cheapest aluminum/X-Glass and NONE got a single scratch. I wear my Series 3 to work as a mechanic and it's banged into things but no scratches I can find.

Now compare that to my old and more recent Galaxy Watches/Gears and they all got dings, dents, and gouges all over. My Samsung Gear S is horrible if you look at it in the sun.

Don't even mention WearOS watches. Even worse. Only flawless one of those I got is my OG LG Urbane, since I never really wore it much.
- - Post merged: - -

I have a $130,000 car I was initially scared to drive and get scratches on...I got over that pretty quick.
I know a man who had both a 70s Corvette Stingray and a 73-87 year range Chevrolet truck just sitting in a garage for over 30 years and while they definitely looked awesome, the clogged carburetors, old wiring, and 20 gallons of 30 year-old gas kinda ruined the collector value! Guy was kind of a nut anyway, but his excuse was he bought 'em new and didn't want to drive them and have them get messed up.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

TheSkywalker77

Contributor
Sep 9, 2017
I'll just add that I got two Watches. One's a Series 3 and another a 5. Both are the cheapest aluminum/X-Glass and NONE got a single scratch. I wear my Series 3 to work as a mechanic and it's banged into things but no scratches I can find.
Not a single scratch on the body AND screen? Surely there's going to be hairline scratches on the screen? Unless you use a screen protector on it? I've had my watch for about 3 weeks and I've already noticed a few hairline scratches on the screen if the watch is in the right lighting.

kartana

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
Do you have kids? Are those your most precious thing in the world? Do you let them out of the house?
If so why do you care about a stupid, replaceable piece of metal and glass?

bobsamm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2019
Not a single scratch on the body AND screen? Surely there's going to be hairline scratches on the screen? Unless you use a screen protector on it? I've had my watch for about 3 weeks and I've already noticed a few hairline scratches on the screen if the watch is in the right lighting.
yeah a mechanic and no scratches lol, must behind some long sleeves.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I'm very careful with my electronics – I clean them occasionally and always wash my hands before I use them, for example. (It probably does help with resale value, and I've sold many to upgrade.)

I think I've just accepted that it's part of the life of the watch; like an exception, actually. It's something to take with you, touch with your hands when you're wherever you happen to be, and maybe scratch by accident. If it really bothered me, I could always go with a small case for the watch's body, which do exist.

Itinj24

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I think the OP lit the touch paper on this thread and has done a runner!

For the love of God(c) just enjoy your stuff!! We’ll all be dead soon, we ain’t coming back, this ain’t a rehearsal, we can’t take it with us. Just live it and enjoy it!
I didn’t realize the extent of the OPs OCD until someone in this thread mentioned previous threads created by the OP. Of course I had to do a search and was amazed at what I found. Unless we’re getting trolled, this is not healthy behavior.

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Sounds like you have more fundamental psychological obstacles at hand. Just know that everything in this 3D material world wears downs and breaks. Even people, we die. Enjoy life and by extension live in the now (meaning don't worry about it wearing out - it will - its the nature of all material things and further extension.. live your life without fear) by using the Apple Watch without any fear. It just a material thing. It will be broken down, recycled and will eventually live its life as separate atoms rearranged anyways - long after your existence comes to an end. End the fear wear the watch without regard to fear made by the mind.

Sending you good vibes.

Last edited:

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
It's off topic, but when I was very young, I was afraid of a lot of things. It limited the quality of my life. When I got older, I overcame most of the fears except for the fear of driving. I avoided every and any situation where I had to drive a (any) vehicle for years, no matter how big the obstacles were that I had to overcome or how stupid the excuses were I had to make. One day, after hauling 40 pounds of shopping home through the pouring rain, I decided that this is it, I will overcome this stupid anxiety. My biggest wish at this time was to hop into a car without any second thoughts and just drive through this big city to do my stuff, like everybody else.
So I did. Got a car, lived through 2 months of pure horror until I got enough routine and practice to relax. And then, I never wasted another thought on being afraid of driving. It's really liberating.
I do still worry a bit about stuff that anybody else worries about (money, fear of losing a loved person or pet, etc..) but there is no more *real* fear that controls me.
So, OP, try to relax a bit. Your OCD can control you but it's just things. Lifeless things. Wear your watch and your phone and stop worrying about it. Worry just eats much too much of our lives.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
No long sleeves but I am careful. I can't scratch them at all. Now my Galaxy watches oh hell no...They're not nearly as well-made.

I mean I don't take a hammer to them...I still wonder how so many iPhones I see in the wild get spidered screens. It's like no one really cares for their devices anymore. Given how often (and unnecessarily) they upgrade I really ain't the least bit surprised. We seem to just 'rent' devices. I buy them to own and only replace them if they break. An old fashioned mindset I am sure, but I'm not into mindless consumerism or impressing folks with a shiny phone.

TheSkywalker77

Contributor
Sep 9, 2017
No long sleeves but I am careful. I can't scratch them at all. Now my Galaxy watches oh hell no...They're not nearly as well-made.

I mean I don't take a hammer to them...I still wonder how so many iPhones I see in the wild get spidered screens. It's like no one really cares for their devices anymore. Given how often (and unnecessarily) they upgrade I really ain't the least bit surprised. We seem to just 'rent' devices. I buy them to own and only replace them if they break. An old fashioned mindset I am sure, but I'm not into mindless consumerism or impressing folks with a shiny phone.
I’m with you there! Only phone I’ve broken was my 5s from a bad case. But even after that I kept it for about a year. I’ve never owned the newest device Apple has to offer. My watch is a Series 3. My iPhone is a 7 plus. My Mac is a 2012 Unibody MBP. These all do what I need them to do just fine and I may not have the newest features, but it sure as hell is more fun to upgrade every few years and get a ton of new features that have been piling up since I got my last phone.

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
Take an ice pick. Gouge it. Now you won't be afraid of scratching it anymore. After a few weeks, you'll even stop noticing that there's a gouge.
This ^^^^.

Wore an Apple Watch 3 GPS (base model) for years. Got me a nice brand new Apple Watch 5 GPS (base model) and ... scratched the screen with our marble counter top. Has a nice gash on the screen - you can feel it and see it very well. I've kept it for months now this way. It doesn't bother me anymore. And yes, I have AppleCare+ so I could get it replaced for a small amount of $ if I wanted to but I don't.

These are tools meant to be used.

I can't see the scratch with the screen on, only with it off.

I absolutely love this watch and use it all day, wear it all day.

Seanm87

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
Just had a good scan over my series 4 ive had for almost a year. This is genuinely the first time ive ever looked at it in this much detail and its flawless. not a single scratch. Not sure how I've managed this tbh because I don't baby thing thing at all. But at the end of the day its on my wrist and I don't think ive banged it on anything. Even if it did I wouldn't care as its expected to have a few scuffs and scratches.

Last edited:
Reactions: smirking

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Why not buy a second hand watch that's already scuffed?
This is actually a good idea! Some people aren't used to wearing watches anyway, so to these people I'd recommend getting a second-hand one as you will accidentally knock it into things at first. Then, when you're used to a watch, you can consider upgrading.

960design

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL

is anyone else the same?
You could say the same about your running shoes, car, girlfriend and/or wife... but I say use them!

• Haha
Reactions: KarimLeVallois