Scared that I will get virus/adware

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hoosierxhoosier, Jun 5, 2011.

1. hoosierxhoosier macrumors newbie

I have used pc for 5 years and I would get adware and trojans all the time, and I didn't even surf bad pages. I went to reliable sites. I finally bought a Mac, and still have a fear of getting a virus/adware/trojans. I only really go to gaming sites and youtube. I still scan my computer with ClamXav once a week. Is this really necessary to be safe?

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Go to the Dr within the next 24h. Wear a condom. Hand Sanitizer. And take a blood sample analyzed. Do not eat cucumbers from Germany.

3. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

Not really. The Mac malware out there isn't very virulent. You usually have to install it yourself, and it's not had to remove manually.

The only benefit i can see of scanning with AV is to protect other PC users that you might accidentally transfer infected file to.

4. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

tomatoes too i think

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

No but it wont do any harm as long as its just ClamXav and not one of the other scanners that seem to cause problems.

Your fear is probably more likely to make you get malware because perhaps that means you will be susceptible to a fake virus/malware web page (aka "scareware") that asks you to install an app to remove it. At which point of course, you will get the malware because its you that's installing it !

So, the main "scanner" you need is yourself, should anything be asking to install, be very sure why, for example is it something you ahve initiated like a software update, and if anything ever asks to install because of a virus, when you are just using the Mac normally, you know its a scam. Even on Windows, this "scareware" is by far the majority of causes of infection.

7. Urusai89 macrumors newbie

Somehow that seems unlikely to me. If you're getting them ALL the time, then there must be some sites that aren't too trustworthy. Whether it's from ad's on the site of those gaming sites, or somewhere else, you must have been getting them from somewhere.

Perhaps you weren't actually infected, but only thought you were because of those website popups that say you are.

In any case, you're pretty safe on OS X, just don't install weird software. For a trojan to run, it will require your password. Also avoid pirated software since some of it is purposely released with trojans that will piggy back on the real program and use the password you give to install the program.

8. tug macrumors 6502

uninstall clamxav, you dont need it. i had it and it was a pain in the backside, for some strange reason (still not sure why) i kept getting console warning messages constantly popping up! getting a bit of friendly advice from this site i got rid and ive not seen the console since. so if your a bit worried about your mac these messages would make you paranoid. enjoy your mac & dont worry about viruses etc. there aint none able to hurt this o.s. :)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's not necessary. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

10. sundialsvcs macrumors newbie

My suggestion, for both Mac and Windows users, boils down to three things:
    • Use backup software. On Macs that's very easy ... Time Machine. You can buy a big external hard-drive at an office supply store, or even at Wal-Mart. Do that. Plug it in. Macs know how to do the rest. (Windows makes it a bit harder.)
    • Use only a limited, i.e. non-administrator account, even on your Mac, for all purposes other than updating the system software itself.
    • Use actual passwords that are not trivial to guess, and do not "log on automatically."

Malware is always an opportunist. Like the cat-burglar who walked from door to door in swanky neighborhoods with a pizza-box in his hand, ringing the doorbell and, if nobody answered, trying the front door. On a useful number of occasions, no one was home and there were easy pickin's in or near the front room of the house. Even the simplest "locked doors," and the slightest bit of skepticism on your part, will cause malware to ignore your system completely.

Notice also that I use the word, "malware," not "virus." The latter word is chosen by marketing departments, because it implies a biological thing that you really can't defend against.

Windows users have a substantial problem with this ... simply because, on countless systems, Windows' quite-formidable security features are turned off! (And, not easily turned on!)

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is unnecessary on Mac OS X, as it will make little or no difference at all in defending against malware.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apple's security page is all you really need to know.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/security/

Their summary:

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

I used Windows machines for quite a long time before switching to the Mac in 2005. In all that time I used a normal antivirus and firewall and never had viruses, spyware, adware, or trojans.

I have used the Mac since 2005 and never had adware or malware or a trojan. I have no antivirus on the Mac and use firewall on the router plus firewall on the Macs and never an issue.

14. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer