Scared to put on a wrapsol!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kzhlin, Aug 5, 2012.

1. kzhlin macrumors member

Hey guys,

I'm a bit hesitant to apply the wrapsol on my retina MBP. Is it okay to apply a wet skin onto the MBP? Will it damage my retina MBP? Any tips/opinions/advice?

Thanks in advance!
    Kevin

2. spdntrxi macrumors regular

use alot of the solution actually.. use a little less if you are doing the keyboard area.

3. mat25 macrumors regular

mat25

I've heard of people surrounding their computers in towels, such a placing a towel in the exhaust vent. Also some people take off the bottom plate to apply it.

4. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Install the skin on a solid surface and away from a dusty environment, as well as a bright light condition to check for bubbles. Make sure you apply a lot of solution so you can slide the skin to the position you want it to. If you have the palm rest skin than I would advise you to be as CAREFUL as possible because if it gets into the speaker grills, keyboard, and ESPECIALLY the trackpad, your not gonna be happy with the results. Also, if you have a trackpad protector skin you should NOT install it, through two personal experiences I had the solution pass through the edges of the trackpad and it caused a loose clicking sound, which I exchanged both and will never do it again. In addition, always have a towel near by to wipe the edges and leftover solution right away so it doesn't get into the system.

5. ColoArtist macrumors regular

The Wrapsol install on my rMBP went just fine. No problems.

My advice is to wet the skin quite a bit...dripping wet, and wet the rMBP just a bit. You want enough solution between them so the skin can slide some for perfect placement. A little too much solution is better than not quite enough.

It's only when you use the squeegee that there can be enough solution to form droplets which might drip and go somewhere. I just used a small cloth to wipe the edges as I squeegeed. Squeegee, wipe, squeegee, wipe, etc until the bubbles are out and the skin stays in place.

The easiest piece to install was the one around the trackpad. It's the smallest piece and the rMBP is nice and flat there. You might want to try it first.

For the top and bottom just make sure to get the corners right so none of the skin's corners are hanging off of the casing. On mine a couple of corners didn't want to stick down initially, but as they dried, they got "stickier" and stayed down.

Keep things very clean in the area during the installation. You don't want any stray bits of junk under the skin.

Once the skin is installed let it dry. Even though it might look like it's really well attached, it can be some time before it's really on there. Picking up the rMBP sideways and move the skin. I let mine sit about an hour. It probably doesn't take that long to dry, but I wanted to be sure it was secure. Check those corners though. ;)

Wrapsol...it's great. Matte and just the right amount of grip. :cool:

:apple:

----------

x2 on skipping putting the skin on the trackpad. I put it on mine initially. The installation went fine, but I didn't like the textured feel. The slightly textured skin on the rMBP feels great, but the trackpad feels better smooth to me.

6. kzhlin thread starter macrumors member

1. So I assume the top and bottom are easier/safer to apply since there are not any gaps (like around the trackpad area)?

2. I am still a little hesitant about applying the palm rest... what i some of that solution gets into the trackpad?! Do I still squeegee towards the trackpad and just keep on wiping excess liquids?

3. I am pretty careful with my past macbook pros and the only damaged areas were around the palm rests. Should I just get a moshi palm guard or similar item that is not a wet application?

4. Will something like this moshi shield pad (http://store.moshimonde.com/shieldpad-graphite.html) fit in the retina mbp? I heard the lid would not close with that in the middle.

Thanks again!
    Kevin

7. WindWaker, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

WindWaker macrumors regular

I don't blame you for being a little scared, I would be, too!:

1) Yep, those are easiest. When doing the top try your best (if possible) to apply towels around the ports of your computer so as to avoid pushing liquid into the USB jacks, Thunderbolt ports, etc. Same thing with the bottom. They shouldn't be too difficult.

2) Be a bit conservative when applying around the palmrest area. When you take the little card to push excess solution and air bubbles out, go away from the trackpad. You hopefully won't have a problem as long as you are careful in the application (I might suggest placing the solution on your hand to carefully place around the trackpad).

3) If you're too nervous about doing the trackpad go for it! Get other users to give you tips for the trackpad-- you hopefully won't have any problems with the wet mount.

4) Can't help you there :confused:

Out of curiosity, is the Wrapsol good for scratch resistance as well?

8. kzhlin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

I am probably not going to apply the wrapsol on the trackpad and only on the palm rests. I guess I just need to get a lot of towels! haha.

9. WindWaker macrumors regular

Yeah I dislike the feel of anything on the trackpad. Wrapsol is great for scratch resistance, right? :D

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It does absorb most basic scratches and its just molds back to normal shape. Don't expect to take a knife to it!

11. WindWaker macrumors regular

anybody who would take a knife to an rmbp....*shutters*

Well that's good to know-- I assume it's great against keys and the occasional finger nail :)

12. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

I used BestskinsEver but it's basically the same thing and chose to only put it on the top and bottom, not running them around the sides or on the palm rest.

For the palm rest I got one of the moshi aluminium looking ones (i'd be very careful wetting around the keyboard trackpad personally)

13. Meever macrumors 6502a

Take a nice hot shower and your bathroom will be dust free. After the 3rd skin install it's become like a new gadget ritual.

14. AirThis macrumors 6502a

It would be nice to have some pics of the final result. :)

15. manthony macrumors newbie

Be VERY CAREFUL!

Please whatever you do, be very careful! I installed mine on Friday and got the application solution under my trackpad and who knows where else. After installation the trackpad wouldn't really respond and the cursor would keep jumping around.

I placed my MacBook in a garbage bag along with pounds of rice to dry it out. I finally took it out and turned it on a few hours ago (48 hours) and it now works perfectly. I am however extremely paranoid that it has been water damaged. Hopefully, I dried it out properly and that the water sensors haven't been wet (there are 10 on the rMBP). It's going back in the garbage bag tonight just to make sure it is completely dry.

Next time I will buy the Moshi PalmGuard which uses a dry application process and I will seal the vents on the bottom with tape.

16. dabbler macrumors member

Here's how I did mine:

1 - For the sides - easy just wet the side pieces and apply direct.
    2 - For the top, get kitchen towel and sandwich between top and bottom - with over lap poking out and close the laptop - spray quite a lot of solution, quickly apply the top skin, squeegee out and quickly dab all over (esp the sides) to remove excess water.
    3 - Wrist area - tape off the speaker grills and keyboard, spray and apply (try not to get any on the track pad)
    4 - Trackpad - I didn't apply it as the trackpad is glass and has such a nice smooth finish I didn't want to ruin.

5 - Bottom - BE VERY CAREFUL! I took my bottom off to apply, and when you do you know why you need to be careful- there are water sensors everywhere! The only way you will not trigger the sensors and get a perfect finish is to remove the bottom. Once removed you can get it very wet and do a really nice job.

You don't want to trigger any water sensors at all. Imagine if you get just a drop of water in your new mbrp and ok yes it works fine - you don't realise though you triggered a sensor, now a year later a component fails and you take it into apple - they say "Sorry you warranty is void." That would suck. SO be careful!

Good luck!

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yup, the occasional scratch will be fine.

18. WindWaker macrumors regular

Man now I'm nervous to apply mine when it arrives, yikes.

I have a few more questions:

1) Will applying the full body Wrapsol do anything to harm the computer (I'm talking after the fact, so for example trapping in heat)?

2) How about applying a Moshi Keyboard Guard? Will that make the fans run faster, or did they remove pulling in air through the keyboard cracks? Could one shut the screen with the Moshi Keyboard Guard on-- would that touch the screen?

3) Are there any videos about applying the Wrapsol to the rMBP? I'm super nervous now...

19. WindWaker macrumors regular

OP, did you apply the Wrapsol? If so, how'd it go?

20. ColoArtist macrumors regular

I didn't go with the Moshi keyboard guard (at least not so far), so I don't know about that one, but I can tell you that my rMBP runs cool enough heat isn't really an issue. Plus the skin is thin enough it doesn't seem to trap much if any heat. It certainly isn't any worse than having the machine setting on my leg.

Wrapsol has a video. I watched it again. It's good, I don't think I'd have anything more to add than they show in that clip...
    http://www.wrapsol.com/en_US/Home+Page/Main+Navigation+Menu/support.aspx

21. WindWaker macrumors regular

Thanks for posting a link to the video-- not sure how I missed that :0

Man, I'm still nervous-- I just don't know if it's worth getting all that stuff near the ports

22. ColoArtist macrumors regular

Well, you could start with the top then. No ports or anything there.

I'd say the hardest part is to keep the skin flat while you're handling it. You want to avoid having the (semi) sticky side fold over onto itself. :eek:

23. WindWaker macrumors regular

Yeah I think when it arrives I'll do that.

On a side note, does anybody know Apple's policy for water damage in the rMBP? ;)

24. kzhlin thread starter macrumors member

water damage?! water sensors?!
    Now I am even more afraid to apply the wrapsol!

25. kzhlin thread starter macrumors member

I did not know that the wrapsol covered the sides! :O

And also for those of you who said that you removed the bottom to apply the wrapsol, how do you unscrew the special screws?

Thanks,
    Kevin