Scenario Choice of one camera and two lenses!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nateo200, Sep 30, 2012.

1. nateo200, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

You've received your challenge! You will be sent on a world photography adventure with some video in for good measure ;D Canon/Nikon/Your favorite camera company will personally give you ANY camera body you want with ANY two of your favorite prime lenses! No zoom lenses! You will need to keep in mind you will need a light set up as you will have to carry other things than camera stuff! Don't worry you have 3 batteries with a solar charger and several large capacity memory cards. What Camera body and two prime lenses will you choose? No Zoom lenses! Only primes!

Just a thread for fun...I thought I saw this on here but I looked and could not find it :D

2. shashin macrumors member

Hmmm, tough to answer but I'll give it a try. My choice: Nikon d800e with a 24mm Nikkor f/2.8 and a 105mm f/2. I figure with the camera's high resolution and the quality of the 24mm you would be able to crop to the size you need if the field of view is too wide. The f/2 version of this lens is better for really low light situations if the size of the optic doesn't bother you. The 105 could also be used for portraits and those times where you need to get closer with the same idea about cropping if the 105mm focal length doesn't get you quite close enough.
    Just my personal choices if I was so constrained. :D
    Greg

3. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

I would have to say the Nikon D4 just because I want that camera so bad. As for lenses I would have to agree with shashin and go with the 24mm 2.8 and the 105mm f2

4. Abstract, Oct 1, 2012

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If the photos were just for me to keep, I'd want the Fuji X-Pro 1 with 18 mm f/2 (27 mm equivalent) and 35 mm f/1.4 prime (50 mm equivalent). Mind you, I already have this camera. I'd just need to get the 18 mm f2 for wider shots. ;) Anything wider than that, and I'd just use the panorama feature. Anything longer, and I'd be stuck. For my shooting, I rarely need a telephoto, so I'd live.

However, if the photos were more important to me, I'd hesitantly pick a Nikon D800 along with a 35 mm lens, and a 105 mm f/2.8 macro.

5. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Leica M
    35 Summicron ASPH
    90 Summicron ASPH

I could live with this kit for the rest of my life. In fact, you could replace the M with an MP, throw in an unlimited supply of Velvia, Portra 400, and Tri-X, and I'd be just as happy (though that wouldn't meet your video criterion).

To me, this is the ultimate travel kit. You really shouldn't need anything else.

6. someoldguy macrumors 65816

5D3 , 35 /1.4 , 85 /1.2 would do just fine . Though I wouldn't whine if Edge100's kit was thrust upon me .

7. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Replace the 5D3 with the 5D2, and this was my travel kit until last year. I have since sold both the 35L and 85L. They were simply too large to use comfortably in a travel kit (and I'm not doing enough client work to justify keeping them). That, and I'm getting comparable results with the X100 and X-Pro1 (with the obvious trade-offs - and benefits - of those systems vs. DSLR).

8. someoldguy macrumors 65816

Back when I shot film my travel kit was an Eos 1 and 35/2 , 85/1.8 for years . Still have , and use , both ... although not as much as before . If I had to use my stuff for the challenge both would be in the running along with my 5D2 , but someone else was paying so I went for the 'L's' even they're kinda big and klunky .

9. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Quality-wise, the 35L and 85L were outstanding. But their size, especially that of the 85L, is just overwhelming.

Fortunately, we're now at the stage that equivalent IQ can be had with much smaller lenses, again with certain trade-offs (the loss of f/1.2 on the 85L, for example). Frankly, this was always possible with rangefinder glass, but now it's available without having to sell any of my organs or children.

But if you're ok with the size, then certainly the 35L/85L combo on a 5D2/5D3 is a winner.

10. kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

Body: EOS 1DX
    Lenses: 85mm 1.2L and 24mm 1.4L

Heavy gear, but if I'm going on such a tour I'd gladly sacrifice my neck and back.

11. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

That's pretty much what I'd go with. I want my 35L back after I sold it to fund a 24-70L (needed the versatility of zoom). I've been holding off selling my 85L even though I hardly use it because I know I'll want it back if I do sell it.

12. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

13. VaughnA macrumors newbie

M9 and a 35 F1.4 and 50 F1.4 summilux.

I'd have to manually focus but if it is a pie in the sky question that's the answer.

14. Edge100 macrumors 68000

No problems with wonky autofocus, then. ;)

15. hansolo669 macrumors regular

now this is a tough one..

probably the Canon 5DIII (lightish weight) 24mm TS-E and 135 f2.

16. nateo200, Oct 1, 2012

nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Wow many people are reading my thoughts with the 35mm and the 85mm! I guess those two create a great combination though...I gotta say the Canon 85mm 1.2L is amazing...I don't own it but Ive used it and I can certainly attest to the fact that you don't mount that lens our your camera your camera mounts IT LOL. Its not as soft as I thought it would be but that said the bokeh is certainly something of an insane level!

For my kit I would use a 1D Mk IV...I'm used to the APS-C crop sensor with glass and so while I like full frame if I'm limited to two primes then they will have to be glass I've used before or can attest too! And while I'm tempted to put down the rare 50mm f/1.0 JUST to be that guy I won't :D Tempting to go with the 5D Mk. III or the unknown 6D thats just came out thats full frame though!
    SOO!
    -Canon EOS 1D Mk IV
    -EF 24mm 1.4L
    -EF 85mm 1.2L

The 1D series has always been very solid and weather proof...God know I've never broken an electronic / camera but if there was any place to do it probably in some 3rd world country running from rebels shooting at me or possibly lions! Anyways! While the 85mm 1.2L is REALLY REALLY heavy I can take it :D I think its a wonderful piece of glass with some crazy low light ability at regular shutter speeds. This guy would not be mounted on my camera the entire time at all though as its HEAVY! The 24mm 1.4 would be on my camera most of the time. Allot of people like 50mm on a full frame but I really like the 35mm~ focal length range on a full frame! If I need a shot thats of a person and its sorta personal like walking through a 3rd world country I can always put the 85mm on and step back (you wouldn't believe the shots you can get in Haiti/Dominican Republic). Last trip to another country I didn't have my camera :O wish I did!

Eh video is optional. If your shooting film your excused! Especially with a respectable kit like that :D :D

17. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Leica M
    Summilux 50mm f/1.4 ASPH
    Summilux 24mm f/1.4 ASPH

18. Edge100 macrumors 68000

The 35L/85L really is a dream travel kit, with the exception of weight. One other minor concern is switching the 85L in and out in the field; the rear element is not recessed, and you have to be very careful not to scratch it or get any dust on it (dust on the rear element will be visible even at moderate f/stops, as opposed to the front element).

In that case, I might actually prefer the MP/35 Cron/90 Cron kit, if only because of the dynamic range improvement of the film over the CMOS sensor in the M (Velvia excepted, of course). Of course, then I'd have to have somewhere to store all of my exposed film canisters, and I'd need another year to develop and scan all the film.

----------

Excellent kit. And made even better on the M, since you can use the accessory EVF with the 24 'Lux, instead of composing through an accessory VF and focusing with the rangefinder.

19. Bebel macrumors member

20. Edge100 macrumors 68000

No zooms allowed, as per the OP.

21. nateo200, Oct 1, 2012

nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Thats actually a good point about cropping in post the 24mm....I mean you've got PLENTY of resolution and if you get a clean shot you can do allot of cropping. I did it allot on my camera when I first got it with the 18-55 kit lens I sometimes went to wide. On the Canon side I do have to say the 135mm f/2 is a nice piece of glass but I'd be much happier with the 85mm :D Don't think of it as a constraint though! Many famous photographers ran around the world with just one lens! One guy I read about used like a 35mm focal length lens or something crazy like that for a good amount of time...and it was in the film days too.
    I think the 35L is a great lens...I don't know why people are afraid to go a bit "wider" with their glass like choosing a 35, 28 or whatever. I hardly consider 35mm wide even on a full frame...

Yeah the 85L has a big rear end. First time I ever used one was in a camera shop. I was buying a lens and the lady there did video with DSLRs just like me! Well she rocked a 7D and a 5D Mk.II and brought over her personal 85mm 1.2L! The thing was like a dumbbell and I was holding it over a glass display of some high end Nikon cameras I believe and just pray it didn't fly through the glass because it surely would have gone straight into the earth! haha. But yeah I change out my lenses very carefully...I try and aim the camera down but away from any dirt or dust have the the rear cap for the lens I'm switching out ready. My 50mm 1.8 gets my finger all over it now so I take a microfiber cloth to it and its all good.

22. JustForSneaks07 macrumors newbie

JustForSneaks07

Nikon D800 body. Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G. Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED.

23. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

5D Mark III
    17mm TS-E
    90mm TS-E

I love my buildings ;)

24. Bebel macrumors member

My apologies, totaly brain fart.

In that case, 5D3, 35L, 85L

25. steveash macrumors 6502

steveash

I'd have to go with the 1DX. It's looking like a great all-round workhorse that is tough enough for serious travel and has a small edge on the Nikon D4. I'd love to say medium format but not even the Leica S2 offers enough versatility really. They are optimised for controlled lighting situations rather than all-round shooting.

24 or 35 mm at the short end from an weatherproofed L lens hits the mark. I think I'd opt for the 24 to be sure I made the best of the landscapes.

The long lens for Canon is a harder decision. The 85 1.2 is a wonderful lens but very slow focusing. The 135 f2 is one of my favourite lenses but it's not weather sealed and is a bit soft when focusing on long distances (although super-sharp on closer subjects). The 200mm f2.8L may also be worth considering but this would be a bit long for a two lens kit.

In reality a couple of good zooms (24-70 and 70-200) would be a far wiser choice.