Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt Updated With Compatibility for iOS 10 Home App

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Lock maker Schlage recently updated its iOS app to introduce compatibility between the company's Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt and Apple's new Home app in iOS 10. Once users update the Schlage Sense app in the iOS App Store, the smart deadbolt can be added into Home, and subsequently controlled via Control Center and voice commands through Siri.

The update also brings push notifications whenever the deadbolt is locked or unlocked, and ultimately makes "it easier for users to keep an even closer eye when their lock is used," according to Schlage. Within the Schlage Sense app, users can manage access codes, change lock settings, view the last 100 times the lock was used, receive installation help, and contact customer service.
An update to the Schlage Sense app is now available in the App Store which allows the Schlage Sense lock to work in tandem with iOS 10's new Home app. This integration provides users with a centralized platform to access their favorite HomeKit-connected devices alongside their Schlage Sense deadbolt. Through this update, all iOS users (9.3 and above) will also receive push notifications when their deadbolt is locked and unlocked. These updates make it easier for users to keep an even closer eye when their lock is used.
The Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt also has a touch keypad so anyone with an access code -- with up to 30 storable codes available at a time -- can gain entry into a home without the Schlage or Home app. The system is available on Schlage's website for $229.00, and the Schlage Sense app can be downloaded for free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt Updated With Compatibility for iOS 10 Home App

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Wow, somebody needs to tell Schlage when it makes sense to use touch and when it makes sense to use buttons.

Also, this is crazy ugly.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Is there a cheaper alternative to this? Like, $30?

If not... maybe I should just build one myself. Seems like a fun and easy project.

Reactions: Boatboy24

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Wow, somebody needs to tell Schlage when it makes sense to use touch and when it makes sense to use buttons.

Also, this is crazy ugly.
Not sure what you mean by this. I have this lock and the keypad works perfectly. I have tried several smart locks and this one is the best by far. The Kwikset Kevo is the most unreliable of the bunch, and a complete piece of trash. The August has a pretty neat auto-unlock feature that is supposed to unlock it when you get close, but it's very flakey. This one is the most flexible, as you can use either a key, a code, the app, Siri, and even auto unlocking when you arrive home via Homekit. Also a good sign that they updated their firmware to support Home so quickly after the iOS 10 release.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
Not sure what you mean by this. I have this lock and the keypad works perfectly. I have tried several smart locks and this one is the best by far.
Is it an in door lock? A keypad with touch is not for outdoor use.

dwaltwhit

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
I've had this lock a few months and it is a bit pricey, but well worth it. My mom watches my son some days and she can get in with a code, i have a code for our cleaning person that only works a certain day and time, and of course i can tell if i locked my door while im in bed to save me from getting up to check.

newyorkone

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Not sure what you mean by this. I have this lock and the keypad works perfectly. I have tried several smart locks and this one is the best by far. The Kwikset Kevo is the most unreliable of the bunch, and a complete piece of trash. The August has a pretty neat auto-unlock feature that is supposed to unlock it when you get close, but it's very flakey. This one is the most flexible, as you can use either a key, a code, the app, Siri, and even auto unlocking when you arrive home via Homekit. Also a good sign that they updated their firmware to support Home so quickly after the iOS 10 release.
Have the same lock and love it too, but have you been able to get automation to work automatically? I set up geofenced automation activities to lock the Schlage when I leave my home, and unlock it when I arrive home. Problem is, instead of that happening, I get a notificiation that says (i'm paraphrasing since it auto-deletes after appearing) "You have left home. Do you want to lock "Name of Lock?"

Nothing happens unless I click on the notification and tell it to run (which you do by either going into the Home app or via 3D touch). That kind of defeats the purpose of "automating" the process when I have to do something in order for it to happen.

Not sure who is to blame for this not working. Schlage has made it very clear that they want the opening and closing of their lock to be via a definite action, unlike the August lock. Hence no proximity unlock. I can see the reasoning for this in case your phone is stolen. Not sure how August lock prevents unauthorized entry in such situations since wouldn't a stolen phone essentially act like a touchless key with the August lock?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Yes, you can get one for that price, they are almost always hackable.
This thing has a keyhole in it. That means it's immediately vulnerable to old fashions lockpicking.

I'd remove all external controls - you can either have bluetooth or wifi to connect, or you're not getting in without breaking the door or window or something.

Maybe I'll have a little lightning cable hanging outside so you can plug in if you lose power.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Although HomeKit enabled sounds great for my personal needs, I am currently on the lookout for a great lock that integrates with Airbnb. Does anyone have actual experience with one that they would recommend?

Reactions: liberte1776

kaiguy

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2009
This only appears to support local notifications, which seems like a pretty huge limitation. I don't really need to get notifications when my lock is used while I'm already home.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Is there a cheaper alternative to this? Like, $30?

If not... maybe I should just build one myself. Seems like a fun and easy project.
apple licenses is costly :(

------

why a touchpad though? I would put real buttons so that when batteries run out you can still access your door or something.

-------

I wish any of these smart locks worked on a jimmy proof deadbolt.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
This only appears to support local notifications, which seems like a pretty huge limitation. I don't really need to get notifications when my lock is used while I'm already home.
No it definitely works remotely (or at least via a 4th gen AppleTV). Maybe that is what is leading you to believe it is local only?

Reactions: liberte1776

ddrulez

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Germany
I will keep my Nuki. It's cheap and you can mount it at your door without changeing anything on the door itself.
It has a auto unlock feature too if you come from outside. No need to tell Siri to open the door.

kaiguy

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2009
No it definitely works remotely (or at least via a 4th gen AppleTV). Maybe that is what is leading you to believe it is local only?
I have an Apple TV 4 allowing Homekit remote access in general, but I don't receive any Home app remote push notifications regarding my lock.

melvynadam

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2010
I have had this lock for a few months now and loved it right until tvOS10 and iOS10 came out. Now nothing works like it did. I still have the separate codes for separate individuals and the scheduled access for my cleaner works great. But the app on my phone no longer connects to the lock unless I physically go over to the lock and touch it (manually locking/unlocking it from inside the house, or touching the 'Schlage' button on the outside). My Apple TV is set to never go to sleep. My home wifi is great. I've installed the new firmware on the lock. But I can no longer remotely control the lock or access its history.
In addition, and I'm sure this is related, in my Apple TV the HomeKit login is no longer shown in iCloud settings.
Someone else wrote about the other problem I've been having: automation doesn't work. On iOS 9 I had the Elgato Eve app setup to automatically unlock my house according to a geofence. That was great. Then under iOS10 it stopped working automatically and I was getting a notification which I had to manually confirm. Now with the tvOS release I have no automation at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: ckurt25

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
I have had this lock for a few months now and loved it right until tvOS10 and iOS10 came out. Now nothing works like it did. I still have the separate codes for separate individuals and the scheduled access for my cleaner works great. But the app on my phone no longer connects to the lock unless I physically go over to the lock and touch it (manually locking/unlocking it from inside the house, or touching the 'Schlage' button on the outside). My Apple TV is set to never go to sleep. My home wifi is great. I've installed the new firmware on the lock. But I can no longer remotely control the lock or access its history.
In addition, and I'm sure this is related, in my Apple TV the HomeKit login is no longer shown in iCloud settings.
Someone else wrote about the other problem I've been having: automation doesn't work. On iOS 9 I had the Elgato Eve app setup to automatically unlock my house according to a geofence. That was great. Then under iOS10 it stopped working automatically and I was getting a notification which I had to manually confirm. Now with the tvOS release I have no automation at all.
I had the same issue. I ended up doing a hardware reset, now it works great. Give it a try.

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
This thing has a keyhole in it. That means it's immediately vulnerable to old fashions lockpicking.

I'd remove all external controls - you can either have bluetooth or wifi to connect, or you're not getting in without breaking the door or window or something.

Maybe I'll have a little lightning cable hanging outside so you can plug in if you lose power.
Most smart locks can detect force attempts. But at the end of the day, they will just break a window...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.