School Mistakes Huge Burrito for a Weapon

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
STEP AWAY FROM THE CARNITAS. :p
CLOVIS, N.M. - A call about a possible weapon at a middle school prompted police to put armed officers on rooftops, close nearby streets and lock down the school. All over a giant burrito.

Someone called authorities Thursday after seeing a boy carrying something long and wrapped into Marshall Junior High.

The drama ended two hours later when the suspicious item was identified as a 30-inch burrito filled with steak, guacamole, lettuce, salsa and jalapenos and wrapped inside tin foil and a white T-shirt...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/burrito_lockdown;_ylt=AidSOuir25.9ttk7TY4QpDQEtbAF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
At least the kid wasn't carrying in the lethal version of the burrito.

A 30-inch bean burrito, beer, and a lighter would make the kid as lethal as a redneck at a chili competition.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Taco Bell is now on the axis of evil. :p Watch out, he may be packing dinner rolls. :D

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Come on guys, I wouldn't be so flippant about something like this. I think it's a good thing schools are being overly cautious, especially in light of that kid killing 7 students and his grandparents in Minnesota earlier this year. You never know what some kid will do anymore, and it's better to be safe than sorry. In other news, I'm going to be eating a burrito for dinner tonight. :)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Yes, This kid could of really done some damage if somebody got lettuce in the eye. :rolleyes: 911 what is your emergency, Yes I think one of my students just brought a burrito to school and I think he intends to do harm to his intestines and the air quality around him. Don't panic Ma'am officers are on the way with napkins. :p :D :rolleyes:

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Why wrap it in a t-shirt? Was the foil not sufficient?

That just made it look even more suspicious because you couldn't tell the shape as well.

Something also doesn't add up..
It says the students were called into the auditorium, and that is when the student with the burrito realized they were talking about his burrito? Then he goes to the office to "turn himself in"?

So, someone sees this kid with a suspicious package, and they then have no clue where he was in the school?

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
jamdr said:
Come on guys, I wouldn't be so flippant about something like this. I think it's a good thing schools are being overly cautious, especially in light of that kid killing 7 students and his grandparents in Minnesota earlier this year. You never know what some kid will do anymore, and it's better to be safe than sorry. In other news, I'm going to be eating a burrito for dinner tonight. :)
i'm sure that a kid looking to do the next school shooting probably wouldn't carry a gun wrapped in tin foil and a t-shirt ... i would expect that he would try and hide it a little better :rolleyes:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jamdr said:
Come on guys, I wouldn't be so flippant about something like this. I think it's a good thing schools are being overly cautious, especially in light of that kid killing 7 students and his grandparents in Minnesota earlier this year. You never know what some kid will do anymore, and it's better to be safe than sorry.
I understand where you are coming from, but just how safe do we want the world to be?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's possible to take school security too far--and the REAL issue is one of parenting combined with taking mental health seriously in America.

But I don't think this was overreacting.

* If you went to maximum alert every time a kid carried a wrapped 30" long narrow object into a school, how many people would you inconvenience? Very few. Lots of objects are 30" long, but few have any need to be brought into school unannounced by a kid--much less wrapped in a shirt. It's just not the kind of thing that comes up often enough to make the reaction a problem.

* That is a REALLY BIG BURRITO. I think if it was my call, I might have put police on the rooftops EVEN if I knew it WAS a burrito. We just don't know what a burrito of that size is capable of. It's uncharted territory.

I think it was great of the kid to bring enough to share, though. Not his fault, just a big misunderstanding. It sounds pretty tasty, in fact.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
....and if it did turn out to be a pipebomb and the chief of police said "We were informed it was giant-burrito day at the local taco shop" we would all call for his/her head on a platter.