Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I scored a Wired Mighty Mouse for 50 cents! Workes perfect but does not seem to scroll up it scrolls down and left and right just fine.

---eMac---

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
Hello,

if you clean very well the mouse, it will work perfectly.

There are some tutorials on google to clean the mighty mouse.

Regards

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Mine is still in fairly new condition and I just avoid using the trackball for page navigation so that it won't get dirty in the first place. :D

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
50 cents too much, in my opinion ;)

The scroll ball will give you regular problems, such as you are experiencing already.
And these mice are not easy to take apart and put back together again. Mine started to look a real mess after being fixed only a couple of times. I ended up throwing it away and using some other mouse instead.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I always used the quick isopropyl alcohol method which usually works good enough.

Whip out an alcohol prep pad (often found in first aid kits), give the ball a quick rub, and BAM, it works again.

Honestly I buy those pads by the hundreds (or take them from work ;) ). I clean/de-schmutz all sorts of odds and ends with them. They're also great for removing adhesive residue.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
My condolences. I don't think I'd accept one free.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
I actually found a Mighty Mouse that had its wire cut. It was on the side of the road. A few minutes of soldering a new USB lead and cleaning the ball and it works like a charm. :)

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
I actually like these things, but I guess to each their own.

Some folks like the hockey puck, too.

I actually like them too. Did you know that inside the mouse there is a speaker that plays the scroll ball sound when the mouse is plugged in? I was quite surprised when I found that out.

I also like the hockey puck's clicking feel (not the tracking though).

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I actually like them too. Did you know that inside the mouse there is a speaker that plays the scroll ball sound when the mouse is plugged in? I was quite surprised when I found that out.

I also like the hockey puck's clicking feel (not the tracking though).

Yes, I've noticed the speaker when I had them apart.

I also plugged one into a powered USB hub one time where the voltage was a bit "off" and the speaker when haywire and started clicking constantly.

It's sort of like the new Force Touch trackpad, where it doesn't move but you could swear it's moving thanks to the feedback in it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I actually like these things, but I guess to each their own.

Some folks like the hockey puck, too.

Me too. I replaced the Magic Mouse the MP at work came with with a $10 eBay wired Mighty Mouse shortly after getting the Mac.

It has much better control.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014

They do?! :eek:

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
When I need a mouse, I pull the next one out of the box of about 300 random Dell, HP, IBM, or whatever is in there. Any one of those, used for years already, work better than any Apple mouse. I never understood why Apple couldn't get something so simple correct. They were the ones to originate mouse use!

On the other hand, I'd rather use a modern trackpad like the one in my MacBook Air or the standalone bluetooth one. Those are great. Apple will probably ruin those with all this force touch whatever it's called, and no actual click, like they are starting to install in new laptops.

Still better than a hockey puck, wheel-breaks-in-10-minutes mighty mouse, or awful magic mouse. Back when I used a PPC regularly, I opted for a Kensington turbomouse (trackball) over anything Apple offered in the ADB realm.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
OK all here is a update: Using the MM on my eMac it scrolls left, right and down, on Linux it scrolls left, right and up only

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
OK all here is a update: Using the MM on my eMac it scrolls left, right and down, on Linux it scrolls left, right and up only

I can't explain what the difference is, but the best thing you can do is take it apart and clean the scroll ball. It can accumulate a lot of crud that other cleaning techniques won't take care of-you really do need to take it apart.

----------

When I need a mouse, I pull the next one out of the box of about 300 random Dell, HP, IBM, or whatever is in there. Any one of those, used for years already, work better than any Apple mouse. I never understood why Apple couldn't get something so simple correct. They were the ones to originate mouse use!

On the other hand, I'd rather use a modern trackpad like the one in my MacBook Air or the standalone bluetooth one. Those are great. Apple will probably ruin those with all this force touch whatever it's called, and no actual click, like they are starting to install in new laptops.

Still better than a hockey puck, wheel-breaks-in-10-minutes mighty mouse, or awful magic mouse. Back when I used a PPC regularly, I opted for a Kensington turbomouse (trackball) over anything Apple offered in the ADB realm.

I guess to each their own, and admittedly I use a generic Gateway mouse with my work computer and have a couple of other Dell, etc ones kicking around on other computers.

I actually really like the shape of the ADBII mouse. I've never quite warmed up to trackballs, although I do have a few of the Kensington Turbo-Mouse ones. I've had issues with those getting dirty and only moving on one axis.

I do have a Logitech ADB trackball that is like the current model ones you can still get-it's shaped like a mouse and has three buttons, with the trackball being operated by your thumb. I can use it a little bit better than a Kensington Turbo-Mouse.

Of course, I've also never understood why anyone put more than one button on any sort of ADB pointing device. As far as I know, the ADB Protocol only supports one button-at least I can't get the multi-button stuff to work even under Tiger.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I can't explain what the difference is, but the best thing you can do is take it apart and clean the scroll ball. It can accumulate a lot of crud that other cleaning techniques won't take care of-you really do need to take it apart.

----------

I guess to each their own, and admittedly I use a generic Gateway mouse with my work computer and have a couple of other Dell, etc ones kicking around on other computers.

I actually really like the shape of the ADBII mouse. I've never quite warmed up to trackballs, although I do have a few of the Kensington Turbo-Mouse ones. I've had issues with those getting dirty and only moving on one axis.

I do have a Logitech ADB trackball that is like the current model ones you can still get-it's shaped like a mouse and has three buttons, with the trackball being operated by your thumb. I can use it a little bit better than a Kensington Turbo-Mouse.

Of course, I've also never understood why anyone put more than one button on any sort of ADB pointing device. As far as I know, the ADB Protocol only supports one button-at least I can't get the multi-button stuff to work even under Tiger.

I tried to take apart my Apple Pro Mouse so i could replace the shorted cord, not only was the cord inaccessable to repair the mouse can't be put back together again either. Not sure ripping it apart is a good idea how about a QTip and alcohal to the ball?

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
UPDATE: i took apart the MM an dipped the entire ball assembly into a bottle of rubbing alochol. it works now :) I have to slightly press down to get it to scroll down. Is that normal?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
UPDATE: i took apart the MM an dipped the entire ball assembly into a bottle of rubbing alochol. it works now :) I have to slightly press down to get it to scroll down. Is that normal?

No, it should scroll without pressing. You really should take the ball assembly apart completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.