Scorpio Blue or Scorpio Black?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by J.711, Apr 26, 2009.

1. J.711 macrumors newbie

J.711

OK, so I'm really to this forum, so don't slaughter me :p First of, I'm thinking about upgrading my HD to 320GB and I read some really mixed reviews about the Scorpio Black and it's apparent "vibration" problem. I'm just thinking should I go for the Scorpio Blue instead? I understand there's a huge speed difference, but I'm more concerned about the vibrating than battery life (apparently it doesn't drain that much battery either.. so that's not an issue).

And yes, I've searched through many threads but there are so many bits of info here and there I though I'd like to get clarification on this.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Installed it on my (now my fiancee's) 2.4 uni MBP. No difference in vibration that I could tell.

3. kenned macrumors member

I recently installed the scorpio black in my MacBook (alu), it's vibrating, and is a lot louder than the stock drive, sending it back for a check tomorrow

4. J.711 thread starter macrumors newbie

J.711

Yeah I heard in the very beginning it's okay but over time it gets louder and a bit more obvious each time..must be the aluminium body I guess.

hope all goes well for you though!

5. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Yea I had the black and sent it back for the blue because of vibration. Fortunetly you are incorrect about there being a huge speed difference. I picked up the 500gb blue and it's basically the same speed as the 320gb black. You will be very happy getting the 500gb blue.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...what are the specs on the blue vs the black?

7. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Blue is 5400rpm 500GB and I believe 8MB cache. Black is 7200RPM 320GB and I believe 16MB cache.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I just installed the Black in my 17" UB a few days ago. Zero vibration, and virtually silent. Speed increase is noticeable.

9. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Yea from what I understand the larger notebooks are not really effected by the vibrations.

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There aren't any vibrations. I tested the drive in an external case, prior to installation. You can barely tell it's spinning at all (it's a Sabrent aluminum USB enclosure).

I'm just pointing out there aren't any vibrations inherent with the drive - there's nothing to "hide" inside a notebook case.

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...those are the max capacities of each correct?

I just saw a 250GB blue in the PX on base and realized it was a 5400 RPM drive so I passed...

12. tehgeekguy macrumors newbie

I really think it's a per-case thing. gr8tfly says his has no vibrations at all, but the Scorpio black that I got is noticeably louder than the stock hdd. Ever since I first heard it, I notice it a lot more. It's not TERRIBLY loud, but it's something that will annoy you if it's there. I've seen some cases of people saying the Black is whisper-quiet, and others in the same boat I'm in saying it's clicking/spinning is just downright annoying. I'm switching it out for a Blue today to see if there's any difference. If anything, I guess it'll be just as loud, but I'll have an extra 180GB to play with :D

13. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    wouldn't buy a WD to many bad ones over the years. Get the 320 GB Hitachi from OWC, 16 MB Cache, and 7200 RPM. Whats not to like. I have installed 4 with no problems at all
    Here's the link for one for a 2.5 SATA for a BMB or any MB

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Hitachi/0A57547/

14. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Actually there are vibrations. I had one in my Unibody MacBook and you could feel it way more than the stock. Not as much as a superdrive but you could definitely feel it. I have heard very mixed reviews as to whether people experience these or not, but from what I have seen there are more people with Macbook's than MBP's experiencing them. It could be certain batches are worse than others, I really don't know. But to flat out say to someone that there are no vibrations is just wrong. Maybe yours did not, but I think if you search the forums you will find many people that did have this issue.

15. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I'm sure there are some bad drives out there, and those are the ones you hear about (typical of forums - much more bad news than good - and yes, I've read them). However, the particular drive I have right now has no noticeable spindle vibration. This drive doesn't have any more vibration than my other 7200 (Hitachi), or the 5400 Fujitsu which shipped with the UB. How is it wrong to state what my observations have been? I'm sharing what my experience has been with these 7200 RPM drives (and others). The OP should weigh all the reports and make their own decision.

16. J.711 thread starter macrumors newbie

J.711

Hey, thanks all of you guys!

I think there seems to be an issue with the Scorpio black for the Macbooks (in terms of the sound and all)

To be honest, all I want is a big HDD which is quiet, and I heard Seagate internal HDD's aren't that great (although I personally own a 320gb external and a 1TB desktop external from them :\ )

..think I might go for the Scorpio blue as I haven't seen too many complaints so far (on this forum at least:p)

17. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

I have the 500 GB Scorpio Blue and have no complaints, works like a charm.

18. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

19. iBecks macrumors 6502

After considering the same option for a couple of weeks and reading the following reviews/comparisons from Toms Hardware I decided to go for the 500GB Scorpio Blue drive.

Thought it may be worth you checking before you decide.

20. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I have the 320GB Scorpio Black on my Macbook (see sig). No sound or vibration issues for me. :D

Maybe I just got lucky? :confused: