Scrambled Display Lines

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by creator2456, May 23, 2008.

1. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

For the last few weeks I have been noticing that at times I get lines of scrambled pixels. This is happening in individual apps and on my desktop. Only way to get rid of them is to quit the app or restart.

lower left:
    [​IMG]
    lower right:
    [​IMG]
    close up:
    [​IMG]

I don't have a screenshot of it happening on an app window, but it looks the same as above.

17" MBP 2.16 GHz CD 2 GB RAM running 10.5.2

What could be going on?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They appear to artifacts related to the video card from overheating which causes the GPU to stop responding for even a millisecond.

3. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

I am pretty religious of keeping check on temps, and the lines stay on until I quit/restart.

4. jdtanner macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same problem, but I also saw persistent 'hot pixels' (for want of a better expression) from the grey boot screen. I took it in yesterday and they are replacing mine (2nd gen 15" MBP) with a new one (hopefully).

Wow, there are sure a lot of lemons in the Apple store these days!

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

it's a first gen MBP so its not indicative of current models. you can't expect that to be problem free.

6. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

Just posting a couple more screen shots since I remembered to take some this time.

Adding in the temps (C) to show that overheating is very unlikely.

There is colored scrambles on the left side and a solid black line across to the right.

Attached Files:

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I would think its the
    1. LVDS Cable
    2. LCD panel
    3. Logic board

unfortunately its a little hard to pinpoint the issue.

have you tried plugging the computer into a external monitor? If scrambling happens on the external monitor, i'm afraid to say it is the logic board. If no scrambling occurs with an external monitor, then you can bet its the LVDS cable (cheapest) or the LCD (more expensive)

8. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

Haven't seen it on an external that I can remember, but I will be using one more often now. I still have a year of Applecare so hopefully if it is going to get worse, it does it soon.

9. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

Another screenshot. This time the scrambled line is only occurring to the Safari window. It affects all tabs in this window, but new windows are fine. Temps are within 5 degrees of the last screenshot above.

Attached Files:

10. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

Again, just posting some more screenshots.

Edit: Adding another one (thinner), it's the same row of pixels as the other one, but it just changed within 30 seconds of me posting.

Attached Files:

11. simultech macrumors newbie

I had the same issue (c2d, ie: 2nd generation), didn't find a fix and a heap of other problems with it so putting it into applecare. Ended up buying a new MBP because no time to be offline, but yes, just wanted to write that its definitely not a NVIDIA problem.

12. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

Have a bunch more

Here are some of the new screenshots (about 20 more)that I have taken over the last month and a half.

There have also been 'boxes' of color appearing (the pink in Safari) that disappear once the window scrolls or if I try to highlight it to get the screenshot (using cmd+shift+4, cmd+shift+3 works).

Model Name: MacBook Pro 17"
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

ATY,RadeonX1600 - 256 VRAM

Attached Files:

13. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Wow you've got video problems and its an ATI?!?

And here I heard they were the saviour to our video issues...

14. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

That is partly why I haven't gone to Apple yet. Also remember that this is the 1st 17" model released over 2 years ago. It could just be getting old...but then again a video card should be lasting more than 2 years.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are you taking screenshots or are you photographing the screen? If you're taking screenshots, then the errors shouldn't show up in said screenshots, if it's just a loose cable, connector, and such. For it show up in screenshot would indicate hardware issues like problematic video cards, motherboards, etc.

16. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

Taking screenshots. Some of the time I have to take a shot of the whole screen because when I drag the highlight for a portion, the scrambles go away, but most of the time just a capture of the portion of the screen works.

Now that I am back in school, I may just take it to Apple for them to look at, but have to wait until break to get it fixed.

Graphic design major + no computer = big pain using labs

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just as a college student, I know how difficult it is to be computer less in the this day and age.

18. RocketMan85 macrumors newbie

Finally!

I've finally found someone else with the same problem! I have a 17" 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro from September 2006. It has the ATI Radeon x1600 graphics card, Tiger 10.4.11, and 2GB RAM. All of my firmware, drivers, and software are up to date.

The artifacts started about a year ago. However, when it first started, there weren't lines on the screen. It would be a single pixel, usually pink/purple colored, and when you would drag a window across it the pixel would stay in place relative to its position on the display, but it would "draw" a pink/purple line across whatever part of the window was dragged across it. The "drawn" line would be whatever shape was made by whatever direction you dragged the window... i.e. it was like if you held a pink marker in your hand, pressed the tip of the marker against your desk (keeping your hand still) and then moved a piece of paper beneath it in whatever arbitrary direction.

Those artifacts have since ceased, but worse artifacts are now showing up, very similar to creator2456's artifacts. I will get random horizontal lines on the screen, usually the width of whatever window they happen to be "contained" in. An example can been seen at http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r306/CaseyCoffey/?action=view&current=Picture3.png

In the example above, you can see three distinct black lines in the Firefox window and then a white line crossing the top portion of the desktop. If I scroll in Firefox, the black lines move with the scrolling, as if they're drawn into the web page. They normally disappear when you scroll far enough so that they've scrolled into the non-viewable portion of the window and then return to the original location on the page. In this example, the white line across of the top portion of the desktop has been there since I turned on the MBP today.

The problem is getting worse, too. Very rarely, but more frequently now, I'm seeing not just lines of artifacts but entire rectangular blocks of artifacts. I don't have a screen shot of those, but it's usually a scrambled artifact with diagonal lines.

I also have an external digital 20" display that I connect to the MBP. The artifacts show up there as well.

Finally, to top it all off, my system freezes regularly. It has been getting increasingly worse, and it appears to somehow be related to the video. It's freezing almost daily now, with a hard reset the only way to recover. It usually freezes when (a) the screen saver is active (most notably the "flurry" screen saver) or (b) when minimizing or maximizing something to/from the dock or (c) when the dock is going from shown to hidden or hidden to shown.

I have wiped the system clean and reinstalled OS X twice. It hasn't helped. I've looked everywhere for a solution, but I'm convinced it's a hardware issue, likely the logic board. I'm a big Apple fan, but I am furious that I can spend $2700 on a notebook that is consistently failing two years later with ZERO warranty left on it. A new logic board will run me about $900. I am not happy about this, but hopefully someone has a helpful suggestion!

19. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

RocketMan:.

Glad to see I am not alone with this particular problem. I have also just recently done a clean install of 10.5. I did all the updates as required and I still have the problem. I has been happening slightly more often lately and even very rarely on an external screen.

As my post from earlier says, I can't have the MBP sent in for repair, but once I stop being lazy I can have my local Apple store look at it (I might do it tomorrow :gasp:). I'll be sure to report anything that is told to me.

Some more screenshots are attached.

Attached Files:

20. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

that's a sign your gpu is slowly dying, probably from a little more heat then it could handle.
    However at my old job we had a mac pro that had a similar issue, I was told it could have been a dying system drive causing it if it wasn't the gpu. But I left that job before finding out.

21. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

In my case I doubt that it is heat. Like I said earlier, I am religious about watching the temps. When I am at home, the MBP is on a cooling mat with fans + using smcFanControl for more control. On the road I tend to bump the fans up a little more to keep it even cooler. CPU avg. low 50C and GPU is right around that or below.

22. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

23. thewierdone2000 macrumors newbie

Just chiming in - I also have a MBP with an ATI X1600 showing the exact same issues. I would be very interested if there was a solution to this....

24. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

Just got back from the Genius Bar. The guy took one look at the screenshots and said it was the graphics card going and that the logic board needs to be replaced. I had them order the part and that will take up to 7 days (get to keep MBP during this time), once they receive it they will give me a call. After they call me, I have 7 days to hand over the MBP for repair. The repair will be 3-5 days.

Looks like I'll be using the school's lab computers for a couple days :( but at least Apple is taking care of this promptly and with no hassle :)

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I see; I would have said it was the display cable, but it's probably cheaper and easier to replace the motherboard first.