scratch mini or G5, now it's iMac or MBP!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwd3885, Sep 17, 2007.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Read this if you want, but I have decided to get either mbp or iMac, which should i get? Should I sell my hp dv6000t laptop and buy the mbp? Or keep the vista machine and buy an additional imac.??

So I just have a HP dv6000t laptop, 250gb external hard drive, apple keyboard and logitech mx510 mouse. I'm looking to get into the mac world (finally)! Don't have a ton of cash for the purchase though. I'd like to get a desktop mac since I already have a laptop. The specs on the HP are pretty good: 2ghz core 2 duo, 1.5gb ram, nvidia go 7400, 120gb hard drive. So I'd like a desktop mac that is better than this laptop, or else kinda pointless to get I think, although obviously osx is a huge plus!

I was looking on ebay for a mac mini or possibly a Powermac G5. How would those compare these days? Obviously, the powermac is bigger. Would it even be worth it though to get a dual g5 when intel is obviously the mac processor today?

I've never been a fan of the imac, though they look great. Just don't really like the idea of when it is time to upgrade computers, throwing away a great working monitor in the process.

Thoughts?!?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

A Mac Mini would be faster (1.8GHz Mini vs. dual 2.5GHz G5), however it would not be as expandable and you would be stuck with the integrated graphics. I'd probably get the Mac Mini because of the speed benefit.

3. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

i wasn't planning on getting the apple displays, they are just way too expensive, figure i could get a really nice dell 20-inch widescreen that's on sale now for just 240

4. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

I'd go with the base iMac. It has more power than the mini, dedicated graphics like the G5 and won't end up costing a great deal more than either.

Drew

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I didn't say that you should get the cinema display did I? Although if you want a good monitor I'd go with this one, it is decently priced and a good display.

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I'd shy away simply based on the fact that its a FRY's FRU, which means somebody took a busted one, made sure it fit in a box and put it in said box.

Dell is a better choice and I can't believe how cheap they've gotten. I remember paying $400 for a used 2005FPW many years ago (and paying $900 for a 15'' multivision lcd in 2001 :()

7. weckart macrumors 68040

Neither the mini nor the G5 will be faster than your current HP. The base iMac will be about as quick as your current laptop. You could look at getting shot of your laptop and saving up for a refurb MBP SR, I suppose.

8. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

Perhaps you could give further specs of your HP laptop?

A mini would be not-so-upgradable, and the G5 would be not-so-windows-running

9. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I say go with the Mac mini. The PowerMac G5, although great, is generally for professional use. If that's what you're aiming for, then go ahead. The iMac is an excellent choice, but you've opted out of this, so then the Mac mini is perfect. It's small, and more than decent (also much cheaper). Now let's say it's true that your laptop is faster. So what... it can process data one tenth of a second faster. You'll hardly notice. If you buy a Mac mini... and even if some call it slow... it's still a fast machine by human standards. You WON'T be disappointed. Personally I think it's a great choice to enter and explore the Mac world, especially for your needs.

10. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Weckart hit the nail on the head. Get an iMac. While you may be paying more, you'd be getting a screen etc. If you really want to go the whole slog Apple-ing yourself up, I'd say look into maybe selling that, getting a MacBook + iMac combo instead. I don't know how much you'd get for the HP dv6000t but its worth looking into.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I own one and it's a great display, and I bought it from Frys and it was a refurbished model. If I hadn't known it was refurbished I would've thought that it was brand new.

12. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

thanks for the advice everyone, here are my laptop specs:;

HP Pavilion dv6000t customizable Notebook PC

* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
    * Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache)
    * 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
    * 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7400
    * HP Imprint Finish + Microphone + Webcam
    * 1.5GB DDR2 RAM
    * 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    * FREE Upgrade: 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support
    * Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth
    * No TV Tuner w/remote control
    * 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    * Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
    * HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

All that for $1,083 back in April. It's nice, I did some graphic design work on it and it did great.

I think I am being swayed not to get the powermac. so it's basicall the mini + monitor or imac. I see the 17-inch imac on apple refurb right now for just $849

Refurbished iMac 17-inch 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SuperDrive
    17-inch widescreen display
    1GB memory
    160GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory
    Built-in iSight camera

I guess if they are so cheap, it wouldn't matter getting rid of the display and getting another imac when the time possibly comes. I'd say that iMac would be a little faster than my laptop, based on the 7200rpm drive alone.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The Mini ***** on the G5, but your laptop is probably just a tad faster than the mini.

14. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

yea. so maybe i should hold off on buying a mac until leopard is released and i can get a mac faster than my current laptop.

How in the world am I going to make it the next couple of months without the urge to buy a mac? (totally serious question)

15. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I would say your choice should be either iMac or Mac Mini

iMac 20”
    2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory
    Apple Mouse and Keyboard
    $1199

Mac Mini
    2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB memory
    120GB hard drive
    Combo Drive
    Dell 20” widescreen
    $1040

And considering how much more you get for the extra $160 it makes the iMac an awesome computer and extremely good value in my opinion.

/Ste

16. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

you're right, the imac wins out. So should I wait until leopard comes out to buy? Vista is working fine for me now. The only thing is that I do not want the glossy screens. I do some graphic design work and they are just hell to work on. I need a matte. So I guess that is the refurb iMac as my only option

17. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

I'd like to go ahead and take credit for the iMac suggestion...

ah hmmm...

You should check eBay for a nice used White Core 2 Duo... I just picked one up for $1000 shipped. It'd be less than even a new mini and 20.1 in dell display and a good deal less than the base iMac (which is debatably inferior).

18. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

i know the apple refurb store sometimes has the 20-inch core 2 duo white for 1049 i believe. that would be a great price i imagine. so should i hold off until leopard? would that imac be any faster than my laptop?

19. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

this imac is on the apple refurb store right now::

Refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SuperDrive
    20-inch widescreen display
    1GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    Built-in iSight camera

$1099

Seems like a great deal. .16 faster than my HP laptop, bigger hard drive, faster hard drive, better graphics, etc. Seems great. Now I probably won't have any use for my laptop. never really liked the whole two computers thing. but i need the power of the desktop...decisions, decisions

20. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

If you won't have the use for your lappy, sell it and use the $$ to look in to a MBP. They are available in Matte, and beast through Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom. Thats what i did. Then you can add a larger display later. (I personally will be getting the dell 24" later this year) I believe the 2.33 C2D has 2GB ram standard. A big + there! Check craigslist.com theres usually some great deals there.

"Power of a desktop" The MBP is Virtually a portable iMac. Its one badass lappy! Plus its faster than any iMac with a matte screen.

You could eventually get a setup like this

[​IMG]

21. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

i had a mbp. then i sold it to buy my hp dv6000t. long story-i was out of a job for a couple of months, so i had no money. now i have money and a full time tech support job, working on my way as a free lance graphic designer and selling the mac was the worst decision i ever made!!

So the mbp would be better than an iMac? I could sell dv6000t for $800ish probably, making the purchase of the mbp just $800. Or buy the iMac 20-inch for $1099. So MBP would be my only comptuer though. It is nice to have windows around for when you really need it tho

22. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

I have decided to get either mbp or imac, which should i get? Should I sell my hp dv6000t laptop and buy the mbp? Or keep the vista machine and buy an additional imac.??

I'd like either the refurb $1699 mbp or 20-inch refurb iMac::

20-inch widescreen display
    1GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    Built-in iSight camera

$1099 iMac.

or the MBP

Now which MBP has the LED back panel? Is it just the newest ones?

23. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

the 2.2 or 2.4ghz SR MBPs have the LED backpanels.

Like you said the 2.2 refurb is 1699 right now. If you don't want LED backpanel, or want to save a bit more money, occasionally the 2.16s (or is it the 2.33s?) come into the apple refurb store (check early a few days in a row) for 1499... they aren't SR, but they are still c2ds and darn powerful, and it might be worth the 200 for you to save and buy an external as well.

The setup in the photo would be ideal ... laptop plus monitor.

From experience... I had an HP piece of crap windoze box (not just cause it was running windows, which I hate using.. but because it was really slow and icky) as well as my Tibook for a few years.

not taking into account the slowness of the hp, I still hated havin two computers. Transfering files between the two.. etc... I really ended up just using my laptop and finding ways around having to start up the hp.

When it was time for my to upgrade to my current mbp, I sold the HP box and the tibook and got this one computer, and a larger external harddrive.

it was absolutely the best decision ever. I now have a 22inch external set up a 4 port usb connector and the dvi... when I get home I just plug those two things in and am off and running just as fast (if not faster then some models) then an imac would be, and everything is right there.

As far as you saying, having windows around is nice sometimes... leopard will have the full non beta bootcamp for you to go ahead and install windows with, I use vmware and it works GREAT for even 3d modeling programs.

1699 for the 2.2 refurb, sell your other laptop for 800 if you can, and after taxes etc, you will probably end up paying just about 1000 for the new set up, and when you get a little bit more money you can get a nice 20 inch external and have a GREAT set up for everything :)

that's my two cents :) If you can't afford that... look into the 2.16s if you can find one, no LED but still really powerful.

24. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

Why a refurbished iMac? For $1,499 you could get the 20” 2.4GHz iMac brand-new and it would leave you with enough to throw in Apple Care and maybe even another GB stick of 3rd party RAM if you wanted it, which is still cheaper/about the same as the refurbished MBP you’re looking at. I know there is nothing wrong with refurbished items but nothings as nice as buying brand-new,

Also I have a few questions for you,

Where do you take/use your current laptop?
    How important is portability to you?
    Is your home suited for a desktop computer?
    Is your budget $1700 or are you hoping to sell your current laptop for “x” amount to afford you new purchase?

/Ste

25. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm hoping to sell my current laptop and that's the only instance where I can afford the MBP purchase. As for a new imac--I do some graphic design work and I can't deal with the glossy screens on the new macs, so I need the previous generations. Portability isn't really something that is a must, but it's nice to be able to unplug my laptop and take it downstairs or to a friends house.