Scratch my s3 for the first time!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chillip, Jun 11, 2018.

1. chillip macrumors 6502a

But upset. Guess it was inevitable. I do have Apple care plus so could get it replaced or get a new one if it develops a fault overtime. Or just live it because scratches are inevitable. I do think that I may now be less obsessed about taking care of it now it’s scratched. Looks worse in pic due to flash. Can be felt with finger mind. [​IMG]

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I like your logic though, realizing that you don’t have to be is obsessed about wearing to keep it scratch free, when a watch will inevitably accrue some damage or another when worn on a daily basis. Also, you could utilize a screen protector, which would likely hide the scratch for the most part. Scratches give the watch character in my opinion. But I’m Also thankful for the sapphire dislay on the stainless model.

3. zone23, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

zone23 macrumors 68000

I put screen protectors on mine because they are cheap and actually held up pretty well in water.

4. higgledy macrumors newbie

5. chillip thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will probably just live with it. No point in getting a screen protector now. I’m sure I could get it replaced but what’s saying I don’t do worse to the new one as soon as I get it.

6. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

It's probable that Apple would say it was cosmetic damage and wasn't covered by AppleCare anyway. You need damage that has some impact on the function or integrity (i.e. concerns over being still waterproof) to claim on AppleCare IIRC.

7. bbednarz macrumors 6502

bbednarz

I have a few scratches on mine that I noticed over the weekend. A few years back they would've driven me insane. I used to be meticulous about keeping screens in pristine condition. The last couple of years I just don't care. So much so that I use my iPhone without a case or screen protector. At the end of the day its just a scratch and does not take away from using the product.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I just don’t like the aesthetics of a screen protector, but it likely would hide some or most of the scratch.

9. mons00n1, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

mons00n1 macrumors newbie

mons00n1

(iamasmith - just getting on my soap box here & agreeing with your assessment)

I had a pretty significant scratch on my S2 with AC. They said it was cosmetic damage. I said so if I walk outside and smash it on the ground (break the glass) THEN it would be covered under AC? That was the whole point behind having an Apple backed insurance plan. I pay an up front cost & a deductible to get it repaired/replaced up to 2x.

If AC only covers a standard "extended warranty" then why have deductibles?
    Just cover MFG defects for an extended time period?

( I realize that smashing my watch to cause a AC claim is technically fraud but that just reinforces my point)

Similar discussions here:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/applecare-cosmetic-damage-conundrum.2003419/

10. macguy86 macrumors newbie

eh its a watch. going to happen at some point. no screen protector or case on my series 2 and i only have one scratch on the corner of the glass. No idea how it happened either.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I find myself fairly cautious trying not to scratch the watch when I first purchased it, but then after initial scratch, you realize it’s inevitable as it is. And I look at it like it’s just a piece of tech that will be outdated eventually, besides giving it character.

12. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

My watch has two scratches which are noticeable only under direct sunlight or check it in a specific angle. I can not even notice it under normal use.

13. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

I went stainless steel on my S0 and S2. Sapphire is unmarked, and any scratches on the case get buffed out once a month. Looks brand new.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Another great option is the space black stainless Apple Watch. Not also do you have the sapphire display, but you have the diamond like carbon coating which is almost impervious to scratches. Highly recommend if somebody wants to spend the extra money.

15. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

The downside is that the lugs on many 1st-Party straps don't match, which was a killer for me and why I went with normal SS

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s true. But I guess somebody was really worried about scratching the watch, I have never been so impressed with the durability of the DLC coating on the space black Apple Watch. Mine was still in mint condition. I hope Apple continues that type of finish if they offer an Apple Watch with the Series 4 in the future.

17. nokkynuk macrumors member

nokkynuk

Good Find! ;)

I use a screen protector thats more like the "Zagg Material". Its near invisible, and it looks nice. Thats the only protection i keep on the screen. I'm sure eventually i'll just take it off. Scratches really don't bother me. After my first Apple Watch scratched a little, it relieved the stress of keeping something perfect.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Zagg is decent. Otherwise Armorsuit is another one that’s very popular and others have had positive experiences.

19. nokkynuk macrumors member

nokkynuk

Oh i dont use Zagg. Overpriced junk. I use a similar Zagg-like screen protector from an Amazon Seller. For 8 of the screen protectors it was like 5$. I've had this current one on for about 3 months. The watch has taken plenty of bumps and scuffs, and the screen protector ended up 'healing' itself. The most recent bump was a couple days ago on the bottom right (visible on the picture below along with my hairy arm lol).

unnamed.jpg

20. metalsiren macrumors regular

metalsiren

one thing to keep in mind is that the SS still can scratch. I had a SS Black series 3 that scratched on me. first time, since I had SS series 2 that this never happened to. went to apple and they promised to get it fixed, even though it was cosmetic.. but the apple repair center sent it back without fixing it. But since the store promised to fix it, they did a one for one swap right there and gave me a NIB replacement which was fantastic.

I think that Apple needs more Saffire in the display for it to hold up better. they have done watch tests before and other watches that have Saffire displays have a higher stone rating than the Apple watch does.

apple did me a solid when they didn't have to and I will always be grateful for the high end service. just the moral is that even the SS can scratch.

21. barjam macrumors 6502

The difference is one is nearly impossible to scratch and the other will scratch.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

‘Nearly impossible’ is a good way to describe the sapphire. Although sapphire is not impervious to damage, I can tell you personally after wearing my Apple Watch and hitting it on various objects, it still looks new completely out of the box . When I did own the sport model when it first launched, it did scratch with very minor impact, granted I realize It was a hairline scratch (Which May have been on the oleophobic coating), I sold it the next day and upgraded to the stainless model with the Sapphire. The price difference was substantially higher at the time for $200 more, but the Watch pays for itself over the course of time.

23. metalsiren macrumors regular

metalsiren

yea I have hit my SS on everything... my S2 when I sold it was pristine. just that I hit a granite counter at just the right angle on my first SS3 and that did it in. it survived Disney parks and water parks etc just fine, but that dam kitchen counter did it in lol

24. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Look at it this way, you'll be throwing the watch away when the battery becomes useless anyway. So if the replacement with AppleCare is free then go for it. But if it's more than say $20 then live with it a little while longer before you toss it in the trash for the upgrade.