Scratch on Brand New MBP 13in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tclamp07, Jun 29, 2009.

1. tclamp07 macrumors member

Hey guys I know this is stupid and nitpicky but I just bough a 13in MBP yesterday at bestbuy because they let me get my student discount and they gave me an ipod touch for free without the rebate. So When I got home and opened it I noticed a pretty deep scratch in it right above the power button about a half an inch long that wont come out if i try to clean it. My question is do you think that would be enough of a reason to exchange it? I know its only cosmetic but I really dont think that should be there when you buy a brand new computer. What do you think?

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I am sure that won't be the last scratch put in it. Me it would eat at me so I would return it but then knowing what I just said I would eventually get over the first scratch.

3. gillboyswims96 macrumors regular

you cant expect perfection.

its a bummer but it happens.

4. aphan macrumors member

I'm pretty anal about my possessions so if it were me I would've called immediately. If you can live with it, no problem.

5. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

+1. "The first scratch is always the worst." I'd return it, if it was me. It all depends on how you feel about it.

Good luck on your choice.

6. anthonyramos84 macrumors newbie

anthonyramos84

If you have the chance to have it replaced then do so since you just got it.

I'm pretty OC when it comes to little details and that one little scratch would leave me staring at it every time I press that power button.

7. Ann P macrumors 68020

Definitely call and see if you can get an exchange. If you're going to spend your hard-earned money, of course it has to be in perfect "new" condition. This is unacceptable.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's not expecting perfection; that's clearly damaged goods.

9. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I agree. I dented my MBP (albeit accidentally - very accidentally) one night near the left speaker grille and was devastated. Less then a week later I was somewhat carelessly (my fault, definitely this time) packing up the power cord and one of the metal prongs slipped and struck the palmrest - leaving a little gouge that was quite literally within one millimetre of the trackpad...would've hated to have seen the crack that could've caused in the glass. That instantly made me realise that first little dent was nothing really.

However, in this case, I think that it's a bit unnacceptable getting a new product with a scratch like that on it, I'd definitely be unhappy after paying that amount.

10. tclamp07 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your guys input. I feel the same way I spend a lot of money it so expect it to be perfect out of the box. If I was the one to scratch it I would just eat it and say oh well first of many but that is not the case. So my next question is should I call apple and tell them what happned or just take it to best buy and ask them to exchange it? I'm worried best buy is going to just say that I put the scratch on it and make me pay the restocking fee. What do you guys think?

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

post a picture of it dude.. See what kind of eye sore you are working with.

12. rfb macrumors member

I think that you are going to have to deal with Best Buy. I'm not sure there is much Apple can do. Ask Best Buy to exchange it. You've only had it a day, and I'm sure they will believe you. If they do say that they will charge you a restocking fee, ask for a manager and be very firm that this is unacceptable. Also, let them know that you will be posting to this forum about the awful service that you received from Best Buy and telling others to buy their Macs directly from Apple. That ought to do it! :) Good luck!

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

best buy is pretty good about exhanges, Give BB the opp to fix it.
    not that it matters but they worked with you on the student discount and rebate free ipod touch.

14. tclamp07 thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to take it to best buy tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.

15. will0407 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, agreed you should take it back- when you pay that much for something, it should be close to perfect. I took my previous imac back as it had 1 dead pixel, they let me change it as it was only 2 days after I bought it.

16. tclamp07 thread starter macrumors member

will0407 did you buy your mac from best buy? If so they did they just look at your computer and exchange it without the restocking fee?

17. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I'm expecting something as close as perfect as possible, that's why I'm paying the premium Apple price.

18. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

+1024

People are you kidding me? We pay a LOT to Apple so we can have THE best. Return it asap dude! They ought to change that.

19. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

The problem is, he got it from Best Buy. Somebody must've returned it after getting a scratch.
    You're in the 14 day return policy. Return it and get another one.