Scratch Report

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bowlerguy10, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

Now that some of us have had the iPhone for a couple of weeks, how are we doing on scratches? Scratches anywhere? Screen, back, metal antenna band? I've actually got a couple on my screen I'm not really sure how they got there they're purely cosmetic and you have to really bend the light to find them. No visual distortion or otherwise because of them, needless to say I'm taking it a bit easier. Other than that the rest of the phone is immaculate. How about you guys? Has anyone done worse than a scratch and shattered their phone?

2. UCF Sam macrumors regular

I have several scratches on the back and a couple on the front. The back ones are more noticeable (deeper?) and can be seen in more lighting conditions, the front ones you pretty much have to be in the right light to see. Don't know how I got them, the phones never been in my pocket with anything else and I've never dropped it... Maybe sand? Kinda disappointing, will get a screen shield if I wind up exchanging this one.

3. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

Scratch-free here. Using the bumper and being careful not to put keys or coins in the pocket I carry the phone in.

4. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Faint scratches on the back. One looks more like a rub mark if that makes sense. You have to shine direct light on it for it to be seen.

5. miamihacker macrumors regular

i have a little scratch in the screen not a big deal on the back i have a cheap chinese case so im good :D

6. ARK macrumors 6502

Two scratches on the back. I think I was gently wiping the dust off with the dress shirt I had on when I got them. Like everyone else they appear in the right light.

7. Dsking85 macrumors member

no scratches here. Have been using a bumper since day 1 and a BSE skin since day 3

8. Bosep macrumors regular

Huh? Isnt the iphone 4 using a scratch resistant front as the previous iphones/ipod touch?

I've had my ipod touch for 2 years, the back looks like crap ofc but the front is scratchfree, I have dropped it several times, placed it with keys and other stuff in my pocket, never had a case... and no scratch what so ever.
    So this must mean it's not the same scratch resistant material in iphone 4 :/

9. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

day 1 I installed a full IS right out of the box and shortly after various "full" cases and have settled on the CandyShell.

Wife's i4 has a small nick in the front glass and fine hairline scratches across the front. Back seems clean. Her i4 was nude for the first week and now wears a PixelSkin and tomorrow will wear a BodyGlove Vibe (which I feel does not fit right). She wants a screen shield but it won't fit if she uses the BodyGlove so...

Co-worker has a nick in the glass on the back as well as tiny pits (very small nicks). i4 wore an Apple Bumper and was dropped in the parking lot. No screen shields applied. He now has a full IS and it resides in a iFrogz Luxe in blue/black that he isn't too fond of but its better than nothing he said.

My friend has small nick in the front glass as well as hairline scratches front and back. No screen sheilds applied and wore only an Apple Bumper. He dropped his i4 in his driveway. He also put his i4 in his pocket that had change/keys. It now resides in an Incipio Silicrylic in baby blue courtsey of me and has an IS front. He is waiting for InCase to come out with cases.

More recently I was talking to my cousin and he also told me his i4 was in an Apple bumper and he dropped it on the street by accident and the glass nicked.

I tried to get pics but none of them show this. Its very difficult to get a clear pic of these hairline scratches and nicks. But its obvious you need a screen shield at the very least and the Apple Bumper may not do anything for protection.

10. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I had 1 small scratch on the back since the first day and despite dropping it from a bar (in a bumper) once, I haven't seen any additional scratches

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I've been babying my phone but I have one very small hairline scratch on the back panel. My case is coming today, so hopefully that's where it ends.

12. bbates123 macrumors 6502

I'm beginning to wonder if it's actually the oleophobic coating that's getting scratched, not the glass. Apparently that coating has been applied to both the front and back.

I have a small scratch on the front of mine and I have no idea how it got there. It's in a bumper case, never in my pocket, and I always lay it face up.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

There are phones spontaneously cracking by just sitting on the nightstand or in a drawer on a down pillow. It's amazing!!!!!!!!!

14. phillydude411 macrumors member

My 3gs has 0 scratches on the front glass in 1 year, why is this front glass worse?

15. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

That is the million dollar question. I have no scratches front and back but then I have invisible shield covering the entire device. I'm pretty skeptical of those who say the have no scratches since this without a doubt is the most scratch prone and fragile glass on any Apple product.

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

So far, I have detected no scratches but I'm sure they are coming. After the first day I applied an extra 3G screen protector I had (which I altered a bit to fit on the iPhone 4 until powersupport ships the proper one). I left the protective plastic on the back that the phone came with and cut a piece out for the camera lens and flash.

Then, I placed it in an old 3G pixelskin case until I get the new one--so, my phone is well protected. All I need now is a bank vault guarded by an off duty police officer. :)

17. NaCl macrumors member

I don't understand how everyone is getting their phones scratched up if the glass is supposed to be more scratch resistant than previous iphones. I've just sold my 3 year old 16gb edge iphone and not a single scratch on the glass. I just don't understand whats going on w/ you guys:confused:

18. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Not one scratch on my 3G in two years. In two days, I had a hairline scratch on the front of the iPhone 4. The phone was stored in a micro-fiber bag and only removed for charging and use, then right back in.

Very disappointed. IS installed now, but I hate it.

19. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

It's not "you guys" thats the problem it's Apple making exaggerated claims that the glass used on IP4 is the best yet and "comparable to sapphire Chrystal" or "30X stronger than plastic" Anyone who bought into this hype is in for a rude awakening.

20. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

I hate it as well but since the glass is so vulnerable to damage I really had no choice.

21. germanjulian macrumors regular

22. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Had the phone delivered the day before the "official" release...

Haven't put any case or covers on it.. I stopped at AT&T on release day and I did pick up a case the damn phone just becomes so bulky with a case..

So, I used the case for about a half a day and took it off, I don't have any scratches on it but I'd rather enjoy the form factor of the phone without having to put these big bulky cases on it..

23. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

new glasstic is not as scratch resistant as thought

It doesn't take much to scratch the glass of the i4.

Looks like a grain of salt on a counter top will leave a mark on this phone if placed or slightly moved on top of it.

Put that skin on quick or live with scratches.

24. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

tiny little scratch on my iPhone 4 which is barely visible only can be seen in the light which no idea how it came about. Probably from putting it in my pocket and take it out, although a scratch shouldn't happen like that for any phone. Haven't dropped it or anything. Went to get the screen replaced and was told they didn't have any screens to replace it so the other alternative was to replace the phone. Disgraceful experience at an Apple Store.

25. NaCl macrumors member

But shouldn't the glass be at least equivalent to the original iphone? Seem like apple took a step down. Something is not right.