Scratched already?!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Achtung(Baby), Mar 19, 2012.

1. Achtung(Baby) macrumors member

I already have a scratch on my brand new iPad. Havent even had it a week. I decided to go without a screen protecter and am regretting it now. What would you guys do or what are my options?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

technically you could return it to apple. Although thats a tad dishonest. You can't really buffer out a scratch on the display so perhaps a screen protector?
    Forget about the mark and enjoy.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

How did you get a scratch in only a few days?

I have used iPads for years and no a screen scratch, ever.

4. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

It seems whenever someone asks about screen protectors there are a number of people that chime in saying they are a waste of money and the screens don't scratch. Well, they can and will. They are scratch resistant, not proof.

That said, I like the Steinheil ones. The antiglare ones work really well but diminish the retina screen sharpness IMO (this applies to all brands).

5. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

If you wear any hand/wrist jewelry you need to be careful to avoid scratching your devices. It's very easy to forget for a moment and by the time you remember, you have already scratched your iPad.
    Same applies to other people near you. my iPad one had no scratches for two years, even when I use it a lot and many times let kids play with it.
    It happen one time I was with some friends looking for a restaurant in Google Maps, and some started to touch the screen to point at places; a few minutes later I noticed that ugly scratch.
    Anyways, I just forget about it, and move on. But on my new iPad, I'm not letting anyone near it!:mad:

6. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Good point. My wife got the iPhone 4S and soon after started getting little scratches on her screen. The culprit? Diamond earrings. Yup, that'll do it. She now has a screen protector on it (said brand above).

7. tips macrumors member

If you are too concerned about the scratch( I would be in your situation), you should craiglist this quickly. There are tonnes of buyers who want to buy little lesser than its sold now with tax.

It can scratch if you throw something on ipad screen, Scaratching is not easy otherwise.

8. Built macrumors 68020

The oleophobic coating scratches relatively easily...

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

My parents treat their iPad like crap (at least by my standards). It has gotten some very light, hard to see scratches on it. They don't notice them and I don't point them out. You can only see them in certain light, and I'm willing to bet the scratches are in the coating on the screen, not the actual glass.

I treat mine very carefully, and have never had one scratch. I tend to go protector-less on iPad because it's not something I put in my pocket. It's too hard to get them on an iPad exactly right. On my iPhone, you can't even tell the protector is there because I managed to get it on there perfectly.

10. matttye macrumors 601

Your best option is suck it up, stop crying and realise its only a scratch.

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I applied a Powersupport screen protector as soon as I opened the box. Anyway, as another poster mentioned, you can still exchange it if you bought it from Apple or Best buy.

iPad screens scratch no matter what anyone says. They are not made of diamonds (though one might assume that considering how much iPads cost).

12. Built macrumors 68020

Same here. I went straight to the Power Support store to have the Crystal Film supplied on Friday as soon as I finished checking the iPad for defects and after I did the first sync.

Peace of mind.

13. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

Good point on putting them on. totally botched and invisible shield install this weekend. Going in today to have it replaced and I'm shelling out the cash for them to put it on for me.

14. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Oh, the Invisible Shields are the HARDEST ones to get on there correctly. Yeah, I would have someone do that for you. You can waste a lot of money getting one of those on there exactly right.

I don't like the ZAGG ones because they almost always pop up when you put a back cover on. I prefer the cheap ones you can get on ebay. You can buy 8,000 of them for a dollar and then you can screw them up until you get it right.

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

That would be horrible! I have never gotten a scratch on my iPads before, but I never use them without a cover of some sort (smart cover and the like), I handle them gently (this is expensive!), and no one touches it. The iPad 3 will get the same treatment.

I can see how people do get scratches, and I certainly understand the desire for a protector of some sort (hate those things), but I am hoping that I'll be OK by just being careful.

16. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

My iPad 2 has a bunch of awesome scratches on it. You can only really see them when it's off. Scratches really don't bug me much. I use mine with nothing but a smart cover.

17. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

The popup is a problem. I'm getting that now on my relatively new 4S because I'm using a bumper also and get a little pop on the sides. We got the shield because it was one of the few left, it wasn't over priced (didn't get it from them) and because I've been using them since 1st gen iPod touch and there customer service and durability has been great and it's more brand loyalty then anything.

18. Achtung(Baby) thread starter macrumors member

What do you suggest for a screen protector that won't make the display look like crap?

19. matttye macrumors 601

Gorilla glass! Oh wait, it already has that. ;)

Seriously, just don't throw your iPad around, let your cat climb on it etc, and it should be fine. I've had mine for four months and have no visible scratches on it. I don't obsess over scratches so there might be some, but if there are they're not immediately noticeable.

20. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The best way to handle it is to definitely not hunt for scratches/scuffs/etc. Just enjoy the thing and get on with your life. I used to nitpick my Apple stuff for flaws, and I'm just done wasting my time on stuff like that. Nothing is 100% perfect. I don't care how many people claim they got a perfect iPad, if you look hard enough you'll find minor things. They may be miniscule little nitpicky things, but you'll find them.

21. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

If it really bothers you, you can always take it to your local Apple Store and see if they'll replace the screen for you. It'll probably cost a few hundred $.

22. R1PPER macrumors 6502

you should get some kids....its hard to see the scratches past the jammy finger prints. I would never use a film....scratches ad character.

23. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

That's what I say about my house and all the weirdenss that comes with a house over 100 years old. A screen I'm not so sure. :D

24. AppChat macrumors regular

Buy a shield

Enjoy something that most people can't afford

First world problems

25. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

I scratched a Gorilla Glass screen on a past phone while I was trying to clean the screen with a t-shirt. I know everyone has their preference but I will always use a screen protector.

I wanted to go with a Power Support but went with the SGP Ultra Crystal for my new iPad and I'm completely happy with it. It's just like having nothing since it's crystal clear, but also attracts fingerprints like crazy, which is the nature of the beast.