Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
I dont know how. Just noticed a 8-9mm scratch starting at the edge of the screen. Im thinking if I should get the Applecare+ but its £89+£49 = £138 which is 30% of the value of the watch. I don't think its worth it.

Im annoyed with the scratch though. Can only think it touched a metal door handle as I haven't dropped it or hit against anything in an obvious way.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Aluminium S4, I presume. That is always the risk with the glass on the aluminium. It will keep happening. Always has SS or Ceramic ever since series 0 and every screen has been scratch free no matter how many times i banged it. If people are worried about scratching the screens then it makes sense to invest in the SS. AppleCare doesn't cover screen scratches

Last edited:
Reactions: ipaddaro

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I dont know how. Just noticed a 8-9mm scratch starting at the edge of the screen. Im thinking if I should get the Applecare+ but its £89+£49 = £138 which is 30% of the value of the watch. I don't think its worth it.

Im annoyed with the scratch though. Can only think it touched a metal door handle as I haven't dropped it or hit against anything in an obvious way.

Depending on the exact location of the scratch, A screen protector will at least help conceal it, but it’s permanent nonetheless.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Aluminium S4, I presume. That is always the risk with the glass on the aluminium. It will keep happening. Always has SS or Ceramic ever since series 0 and every screen has been scratch free no matter how many times i banged it. Its about economies of scale. If people are worried about scratching the screens then it makes sense to invest in the SS. AppleCare doesn't cover screen scratches

Sapphire can get scratched.

I have one visible one and one that’s much smaller on the edge of my SBSS S3.

And I’m not sure how economies of scale pertains to watches getting scratched.

Reactions: nasa25

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Put a screen protector on mine that I cant even notice. No worries of scratches on the screen what so ever.

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
Put a screen protector on mine that I cant even notice. No worries of scratches on the screen what so ever.

Can you recommend a screen protector?
I didn't put a screen protector as I never had a problem with my Series 1... with hindsight.... :(

And i'm putting a screen protector on my XS Max today! Ive had the protector since I've had the phone but didnt want to put it on as it does take alittle away from the screen look and feel... but ill have to now.

Reactions: MrRugged

brentc133

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012
I used the iqshield on my AW4 44mm. Got it off amazon with 6 in the package for less then $10. Make sure you order the edge to edge one (think it’s called the max). I found the install quite easy after watching their install video and to get the corners down I did use a blow dryer as someone on this site had mentioned.

jcborden

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I didn't put a screen protector as I never had a problem with my Series 1... with hindsight.... :(

And i'm putting a screen protector on my XS Max today! Ive had the protector since I've had the phone but didnt want to put it on as it does take alittle away from the screen look and feel... but ill have to now.

I've been using ScreenKnight edge to edge, similarly cheap and provides great coverage. The only time I can notice it is there is with the screen off and looking at the watch face from an angle as there is some slight orange peel effect. Can't see it straight on, or with the screen on. Gives me much more confidence to just wear and enjoy the watch!

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Sapphire can get scratched.

I have one visible one and one that’s much smaller on the edge of my SBSS S3.

And I’m not sure how economies of scale pertains to watches getting scratched.

watches being scratched is more about economies of scope actually

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA

I'm using an ArmorSuit that I picked up on Amazon with my S4. It pretty much goes edge to edge and I don't even notice it's there. It's also not as grippy as some of the other wet application protectors I've tried.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HCNHYGW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also used one on my S2 and the screen is as perfect as the day I put it on my wrist.

As far as the screen protection for your phone, pick a glass one up. You'll get protection but the feel is more natural.

Reactions: 44267547

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
I'm using an ArmorSuit that I picked up on Amazon with my S4. It pretty much goes edge to edge and I don't even notice it's there. It's also not as grippy as some of the other wet application protectors I've tried.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HCNHYGW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also used one on my S2 and the screen is as perfect as the day I put it on my wrist.

As far as the screen protection for your phone, pick a glass one up. You'll get protection but the feel is more natural.
hows the orange peel effect with armor suit.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
hows the orange peel effect with armor suit.

It has been on since Oct 17th, photos have not been enhanced. To my eye, it looks the way it did the day I put it on.

Attachments

• IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 221

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
It has been on since Oct 17th, photos have not been enhanced. To my eye, it looks the way it did the day I put it on.

tough to see can you get an image with light reflecting. Here is my iq shield in the right light to see the peel

Attachments

• 68541754-1C80-49BE-BD7E-632D2863AF36.jpeg
    68541754-1C80-49BE-BD7E-632D2863AF36.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 182

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Embrace a couple scratches, once you get over it the devices become more enjoyable. Not worrying about babying it all the time. I have a couple small scratches on my S3. They dont negatively effect anything and IMO screen protectors look a lot worse than the scratch does. Just my opinion on it.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Does the screen protector remove the oleophobic coating when you peel it off?

I don't believe so but I have no evidence to back that up. I've always had a protector on the watch so for my use case I'm not sure it makes much of a difference.

I had an ArmorSuit on my S3. No orange peel, but you should watch the install video. The oleophobic coating was undamaged when I removed it.

Reactions: staggerlee41

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Did apple change something since the S0 on the saphire display/coating?

Even if They did, no one would have evidence of that. And nor would Apple remark if they made any changes to the coating. But as far as I know, everything seems to be exactly the same in terms of the coating applied directly from the factory.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So that I'm clear, you're talking about bumps or imperfections in the finish of the coating, thus making the texture resemble that of an orange peel?

The ‘orange peel effect’ that the member is referring to is actually not on the coating or display itself, but it’s actually under the display, you can only see it under certain lighting, last year with the Series 3, many members were raising they thought it was an issue, but it’s not, just part of the way the display is manufactured.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.