Scratched iPad - Can I still buy AppleCare+?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ndpitch, Apr 12, 2012.

1. ndpitch macrumors 6502

My iPad fell on the floor last night, and got some scratches on the screen (you can catch your finger nail on them). If I take it to the genius bar, do you think they'll let me get AppleCare+? I'm hoping they do. I'd probably wait a couple weeks and then take the scratched iPad in and try to get it replaced. If I couldn't feel the scratches it would be no big deal, but my finger nail catches on them when I'm taking notes and stuff. What do you think? Assuming I could get AppleCare+, do you think that they'd replace an iPad that has only scratches from a drop?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You don't need to Goto the store to purchase ac+ ;)

3. ndpitch thread starter macrumors 6502

According to the website, I need to have it inspected before they'll give me AC+

4. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

If an apple store is close to you, I would at least take it in. I purchased AC+ after the fact and the genius just glanced over my iPad before giving it the OK. I didn't have any scratches or dings on my iPad, but I don't know if the genius would have noticed them if i did.

5. ndpitch thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the plan. I made an appt for today at lunch. I'm hoping they don't give me AC+ and make a note in the computer that says "do not repair device for scratches in upper right hand corner, existing damage" lol.

6. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

You can buy it through AppleCare I think. Call them and ask. You just need proof of purchase.

7. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

sounds like this is going to be the new scam now.

people who damage their ipad and then try to sign up for applecare after the fact. <thumb down>

8. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Hey guys, I want to cheat the system. What do you think?
    :rolleyes:

9. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If they're only scratches he's not "cheating the system" lmao! Considering it costs like $50 for an AppleCare replacement, I think OP would be getting the arse-end of the deal (that's a hell of a lot for some harmless cosmetic damage).

10. ndpitch thread starter macrumors 6502

I think if you were in the same situation, you wouldn't just say oh well, I have a 800 dollar device that now looks crappy. You'd try as well, haha. People become less noble when they're in their own crappy situations.

And for anyone out there in a similar situation, call AppleCare directly. I just got AppleCare+ applied without an inspection. I pre-ordered, and was out of the 30 day range, but was still able to. Time to cancel my genius bar appt!

11. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

guess you haven't been reading the recent threads. we've got people who cracked their glass or did major damage to the case wanting to sign up for applecare 'after the fact'.

try spending mroe time reading threads than posting empty posts like what you just did. :rolleyes:

12. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

What's the big deal?

If Apple is prepared to exchange your device for the initial Applecare costs, plus a $50 per incident fee, why does it matter when your iPad was damaged?

If Apple worked it out that they can afford to do it, it doesn't matter what state your iPad is in when you get applecare, at the end of the day it's all about money and you're giving them an extra $150, plus whatever they made off your first iPad purchase for a new ipad.

I'm sure some bean counter somewhere figured it all out that the profit they get off the cheapest iPad, plus cost of applecare & per incident fee can stil give them a profit after it's all said and done.

I wouldn't go to confession over this one, if they couldn't work it out on their end, there wouldn't be an applecare + at all.

13. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

a few scratches may not seem like a big deal to you or me, that maybe not to others. so faced with buying a new one outright and trying to sell their damaged one, a $50 out of pocket expense is a pretty cheap alternative. wouldn't you say?

try not to focus on the degree of the damage and look at the bigger picture. the point of my post is we're seeing a lot more threads about people who opted out of not buying applecare who are now using a loophole in the system to buy into the program after they've had an accident.

14. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

You're paying what $200 in total to get rid of some scratches? Apple should be delighted with your custom. Imagine the money they'd make if everyone did the same. Nobody can sanely have a go at you for somehow "cheating".

----------

Yes I understand that, but you can't possibly complain about the OP. Apple is profiting from his business.

15. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

No.

16. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

Congrats! Apple always does such a great job at taking care of their customers. I'm glad it worked out for you.

17. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

People become less noble when they behave less than nobley.

18. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Its insurance. Just like if you were to wreck your car into a pole without insurance doesn't mean you can get it to cover your car after the fact. I don't know how some of the scam artist on here sleep at night.

19. Papillo macrumors member

Because they are taking a gamble that your ipad will not be damaged and they will never have to pay out on applecare+ that you purchased. That is how all insurance works. They can afford to do it only if there are far less claims submitted.

20. ndpitch thread starter macrumors 6502

Allow me to re-phrase. People ACT like they are perfect and noble. Now take one of those people, damage their iPad, and tell them they don't have AppleCare and to suck it up. Of the people that would want it repaired, I'd say more than 50% of them would try to get it fixed in the cheapest way possible. Call me a theif or a fraud if you want, but Apple is making money off of me.

21. MikeFromTexas macrumors member

It never ceases to amaze me at how many people refuse to take any responsibility for their own actions.

22. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I'm not saying I would do this but judging form humans in general, it's easier said than done. It's easy to reply w, I'd never do that but I always witness every person I've ever known be hypocritical when they're put in the same situation.

23. ScottW1, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

ScottW1 macrumors regular

Yes and No

1. If you are within 30 days of purchase, NO INSPECTION IS REQUIRED if you purchase AC+ by phone. Call Apple, provide serial number and proof of purchase, pay the $99 and you have AC+.

2. The Accidental Damage part of AC+ does not cover "normal wear and tear". Scratches alone, unless they are so bad they inhibit usage of the device, are "normal wear and tear" and would generally not be covered as a $49 AC+ replacement event, although this depends somewhat on a judgement call by the genius and/or store manager. You would more likely be offered an Out of Warranty replacement instead for $299 unless there are functional issues.

3. The Accidental Damage part of AC+ DOES cover a broken (cracked) screen, or lack of full function concurrent with any sign of physical trauma (signs it has been dropped, water damage, etc).

4. You may lose karma points for buying AC+ "after the fact", as the clear contracual intent of AC+ applies to protection against "future damage." Only you can decide whether saving $151 is worth that. ($99 for AC+ and $49 for replacement, vs $299 for out-of-warranty replacement).

24. Papillo macrumors member

Interesting. i was told u have to bring it in to be inspected if you didn't buy apple care when buying the ipad. I took mine in 2 days ago when i added apple care + and they barely looked at it..

25. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

What, paying $150 to get rid of some scratches is a scam? You have to be kidding. Apple would be laughing all the way to the bank if everyone was as happy to spend that kind of money for such a minuscule issue. The profit must be several-fold.