Scratched iPad Pro Screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jacob_w, Apr 11, 2016.

1. jacob_w macrumors member

I have been using the 9.7" iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil since release. After cleaning the screen for the first time, I found a few scratches on the screen (not fully noticeable when the screen is on but they are definitely there)

I wonder if it's because I've been pressing the Pencil into the screen too hard? Should have used a screen protector
    Should I go and exchange for a new one?

2. Wackery macrumors 6502a

If you're within the first 2 weeks of purchase why not, I returned mine, but I did that to solve the multi-tasking crash I've been getting

3. jacob_w thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I guess I'll go to the Apple Store tomorrow. Luckily I haven't experienced any crashes.

It's just annoying that now I have to either be particularly careful when I use the AP or invest in more accessories.

4. Wackery macrumors 6502a

Are you able to take a picture of the scratches?

Could be grit caught in the little indent at the tip of the Apple Pencil that gets caught and turns your iPad into a carving tablet

5. BitSlap macrumors member

If the pencil is causing scratching on the screen, this will not be pretty for Apple.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

It's not possible for that alone to scratch the screen. The pencil tip is not harder than the glass. But grit between the pencil tip and the glass can do it just like if there was sand or grit on your finger.

7. eltoslightfoot macrumors regular

eltoslightfoot

I have had my 12.9" for months and not scratched the screen with the pencil.

8. BitSlap macrumors member

Damage control! Hey everybody, no fear. It was a piece of diamond that got lodged between the OP's pencil and the glass. Nothing to see here, please move along.

9. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

I've used pencil with 12.9 since launch, no screen scratches.

10. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

It's not damage control. It's actually just physics.

11. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

This happened with one of my third party styluses and the iPad 3 and I'm absolutely terrified of it happening to the iPp once I get mine too. :(

I started using a matte screen protector on my iPad 3 to add more tooth and prevent further scratches. It's frustrating though I was very, very careful, it's just a lot easier to scratch it with a stylus with a hard plastic disk tip I guess. I hope I'm ok with the pencil! (My ipp's soul purpose will be art.)

I don't really want to be using a matte protector on my iPp though.. So i suppose I'll be using a tempered glass protector. Pfft.

12. jacob_w thread starter macrumors member

My iPhone 6 just couldn't focus on the scratches no matter how much I tried...

I agree that they are probably not caused by the AP alone but no one has the patience to clean the tip and screen every time they use them..
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2016 ---
    I really don't want to use screen protectors either..it defeats the whole purpose of buying these gadgets with anti-flare coatings.

13. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

That's like saying water could never have made the Grand Canyon.

Water can cut rock, and rubber can scratch glass.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Water cuts rock by sending and and other small debris at the rock and it slowly chews it away. The water itself is not the actual cause.

Rubber is softer then glass and it cannot scratch class. If so, we'd see a lot more problems being raised. More likely small debris was between the stylus and the iPad, or when the OP was cleaning it, the cloth being used was not completely clean and had something that scratched it.

OP, I wonder if there's a tempered glass solution which gives you the protection you want, but not at the expense of dealing with the softness of a screen protector.

15. jacob_w thread starter macrumors member

I usually use Dust-It before I wipe the screen with a cloth. But still, I could have missed some.

I am sure there are tempered glass screen protectors but then they usually have glare issues. Ugh.

I hate to stress over these trivial things but then again, I spent $1000 on this

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

imo, in this case I don't think its trivial, especially since you spent 1,000 on it. I'd feel the same way.

17. Wackery macrumors 6502a

The scratching is the main reason I didn't get the stylus, also I won't be drawing, the only draw would be 3D Touch for navigation. I just want some kind of mouse support

18. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I personally installed an Anker Tempered Glass display on my iPad Pro 9.7 everything works fine. Installed it flawlessly no bubbles or dust underneath. And the Pen works perfectly. Might try and easy to remove Matte texture display overtop to see if that makes things matte and gives drawing a little textures to it.

But definitely not gonna leave my display unprotected.

19. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

You say that, but with the amount of tiny particulates of diamond we have in the air in our house it's a real concern. That's why I only ever use my iPad in a specially constructed hermetically sealed room next to my office.

On a serious note, scratches are a real possibility with any glass surface you drag things across. Clean everything often, protect against them or learn to love them.

20. mlovergaard macrumors 6502

mlovergaard

I was thinking about getting the Pencil, but now I am not so sure, also OP you are not the first person to have this problem, I have read about it multiple times before. Which is why, I am not so sure about getting the pencil anymore.

21. jacob_w thread starter macrumors member

I am hoping that Apple will soon release different Pencil tips with various hardness/drag and maybe that will eliminate this issue

22. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

I have a very inexpensive clear film protector on my IPP, just for this reason. I use my iPP outside frequently and didn't want sand or grit causing any problems. I keep my screen clean but you never know when outside what could be blowing around. The protector I use I can't even tell anything is on there, just like original glass except somewhat better with fingerprints. No rainbow effect, installation was easy, love it!

http://www.amazon.com/iCarez-Screen...24&sr=1-11&keywords=screen+protector+ipad+pro

23. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

This well known reviewer mentions the problem about 30 seconds from the end of his Apple Pencil review. It's the only thing giving me second thoughts about getting one.

24. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

Argh that's a nightmare situation! Definitely going to get a screen protector then.. I wonder if they'll ever make it scratch proof?

25. Old Skool Gamer Suspended

Old Skool Gamer

Precisely why I've not bothered with the Apple Pencil.

It's inevitable ...
    Ditto.
    This would be very welcomed.

Can you imagine them bringing out a "brush" tip?!