Scratched my iPhone 7 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jodie1987, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Jodie1987 macrumors regular

Hey,

I was able to pick up a iPhone 7 Plus at my local apple store today and my final decision was to go with Jet black, I have a matte black on order but going to cancel it tomorrow as I don't need it now, anyway I take my phone out of the box and put it in a white apple silicone case and took it out about 5 minutes later to admire the back and there are some scratches on it, I never even touched it and it scratched is this normal with the JB iPhone 7P?

2. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

It could be there was dust/residue that got between the phone/case and scratched it in the process. It tends to happen with JB and cases, you have to make sure both the back of the phone and the case are free from anything that might cause scratches.

3. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

can a official apple case also cause these scratches?

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Did you look at your phone before you put it in case? I know I would.

If the scratch really bothers you, take it back in the 14 return period. If scratches are going to cause you stress, I would suggest you not buy the JB iPhone as no matter what you do, it will get scratched.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 15, 2016 ---
    Any case could cause this if there any debris inside it.

5. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Think I better take my phone back tomorrow and stick with the matte black I have on order, i never expected it to be that easy to scratch

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why did Apple do this to people?
    iPhone users are the most OCD and anal retentive customers out there.
    Putting something out there that will show scratches even if you look at it the wrong way is just wrong:D
    Some people will lose their mind and will want to get a brand new jet black replacement every other day:D

7. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

The case itself, no. There are no metal pieces or sharp edges on Apple cases.

8. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

it was unsealed like 2 mins before i put the phone in it

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It only take the smallest bit of grit of debris. Some case are famous for allowing junk to get between the case and the phone and abrade the anodized finish quickly.

10. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

If it you opened it in a normal room even for 2 minutes stuff can get inside , really sorry OP

11. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

when I take it back on monday what should I tell them to as why i'm returning it for a refund?

12. notElias macrumors member

notElias

Way to generalize people my man,

I've had an iPhone since the 3G and I clearly remember this "new finish" being very easy to scratch. It's nothing new to me and many others, and I'm not OCD. ;)

13. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

not your fault :) hopefully i can get my money back if not im still gonna keep my matte black order and ill have 2 iPhone 7 Plus lol

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Tell them the truth.
    You're OCD and can see a slight scratch if you look at the phone at a certain angle and within 3 inches from your face.
    You paid a lot of money for a perfect iPhone and you deserve perfection. And this is not right and the phone is defective.

15. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok that sounds good, thanks.

16. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I agree with Newton, if scratches on the body really bothers you then the Jet Black isn't for you. Scratches on the body typically doesn't bother me at all. It's the scratch on the screen that bugs me to death. I will still put a case on it and yes I know it will scratch and it is what is its. My Space Black Apple Watch 1st generation has scratches after wearing it over a year, there are scratches on the screen as well but doesn't really bug me at all. I think it just adds some character to the device.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sorry but its not generalizing, unfortunately its reality.
    You just joined the forum, I been here since the original iPhone days and see it every single day.
    Stick around, you'll see;)

18. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Just look them right in the eye and say I want a refund. It is within your rights for 14 days. They will not even bat an eye. Ask them if the have a matt black, if not you will hopefully arrive soon.

19. notElias macrumors member

notElias

long time lurker

You're generalizing, you are basing an opinion/statement of all millions of iPhone users with a small sample size (this forum).

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's your opinion, again stick around and you'll see.
    You haven't lurked long enough:)

21. notElias macrumors member

notElias

Opinion... right..

Attached Files:

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My generalization is very accurate weather you agree with it or not is not really my concern. ;)

23. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

had mine in an apple silicone case for a week and no scratches. Chances are they were already there. dont go back to matte its not worth it!

24. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

Fixed it for ya.

25. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Not sure how well you inspected it after removing the plastic, but I think there's a better chance it came with scratches. My iPhone 3G and 3GS has multiple defects out of the box including scratches on the back (as well as metal under the screen on the 3GS...). The replacements were still in perfect condition when I sold them though.