Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PackFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
So.... You reconcile lying and cheating to get your product replaced because of how much Apple has personally screwed you? Nice logic...

This is coved in the movie that I linked to.

Corporations are legally obligated to not have any morals and only account for their bottom line. Why should have have morals while dealing with them?

Still the same logic - not the best...

But, based on your logic, what did Apple do to personally wrong you that makes you vindicated in lying and cheating them?

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Still the same logic - not the best...

But, based on your logic, what did Apple do to personally wrong you that makes you vindicated in lying and cheating them?

I "reconcile" everything short of flat out fraud. Simply because that is the standard they are upheld to. If I held mine higher, then we'd be on unequal footing and I could be taken advantage of.

Nothing personally has happened to me. I'm very pleased with my Apple products. I am however, on the lookout in case they attempt to defraud me. (and I think others should be too.)

Using your logic, there is no fault in issuing "sub-prime" loans. How do you reconcile that with your morals?

Tonezorz

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
I saw this topic here earlier, and can't believe you're still ranting away hours later.

I agree that if you do it it's your fault, but saying that the cost is at all related to peoples lack of honesty is absurd.

People are going to buy Xboxes from Walmart and return RROD'd ones in the same box 2 days later till the end of time. It's never going to change. Companies who have a product to sell are going to sell it to pay their employees, keep the lights on, re-invest in the company, and line their pockets with gold. Never are they going to think "lets sell this at cost because the people buying it are so darn nice and lovely!"

While I again will say I DO AGREE WITH YOU about the integrity issue, I'll also say I commend you for being a great troll.

PackFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
I "reconcile" everything short of flat out fraud. Simply because that is the standard they are upheld to. If I held mine higher, then we'd be on unequal footing and I could be taken advantage of.

Nothing personally has happened to me. I'm very pleased with my Apple products. I am however, on the lookout in case they attempt to defraud me. (and I think others should be too.)

Using your logic, there is no fault in issuing "sub-prime" loans. How do you reconcile that with your morals?

Nice try - I have nothing to do with subprime loans - neither does Apple. Want to pick another example to support your argument?

You like your Apple products - but you will take any opportunity to lie and cheat them. I would hate to see how you would treat a company when you don't like their products...

What a philosophy... I'm going to screw them because it is possible that they could screw me - even though they have not... :p

People are going to buy Xboxes from Walmart and return RROD'd ones in the same box 2 days later till the end of time. It's never going to change.

And that makes it right?

While I again will say I DO AGREE WITH YOU about the integrity issue, I'll also say I commend you for being a great troll.

Do you know what a troll is? I'm not sure it means what you think it does...

Tonezorz

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
And that makes it right?

Do you know what a troll is? I'm not sure it means what you think it does...

Never said any of it was right. Just argued against your Cost ~ Dishonesty statement.

And however on-topic this... topic seems to be, it's still just drawing argument and insults.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
You now why Apple is so strict about the water sensors? Apparently it used to happen a lot that people would would get their iPhones wet and then they would break their mute switch on purpose so that they would get a replacement. So now when someone comes in with a broken mute switch the first thing they do is look at the water sensor...

So this is actually Apple is now stricter because people would lie to get a replacement.

And all of you that are arguing that the iPhone only costs $160 to Apple anyway... that is just the cost of the parts. There's still manufacturing, distribution, marketing, R&D...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
This is coved in the movie that I linked to.

Corporations are legally obligated to not have any morals and only account for their bottom line. Why should have have morals while dealing with them?

That's your excuse?

What about being an honest and upstanding citizen? I'm not saying that lying about water damage (which - by the way is just one example I cited. More common seems to be people returning scratched screens which they, themselves damaged) is going to lead to the moral decay of society as we know it. But the underlying philosophy, integrity and moral compass we choose to follow is very telling.

That's a lovely attitude - screw others before they screw me.

The implications of that attitude are scary - genuinely scary to me when you look at the big picture.

People complain about the healthcare industry? Look at how it gets abused by dishonest people (doctors AND patients)

People complain about taxes? Look at how it gets abused.

I'm not holier than thou - but I'd like to think that I'm contributing to the successes and betterment of society in general - not it's degradation.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007

What do sub-prime loans have to do with Apple? Oh ya, nothing! Applying the misdeeds of one company to ALL companies to justify committing fraud is a pretty slippery slope there fella. That's the kind of logic people use when they run around genociding entire peoples.

Some of us are Apple shareholders. We want our investment in Apple to go up over time. We don't appreciate people trying to rip off Apple. We like that Apple, usually, does right by its customers. If you had a special situation as you described then you should write a letter to Apples leadership explaining the situation and see if they can do something for you.

Is this how you were raised, that if you somehow feel that you've been wronged in even the slightest way that the appropriate response is thievery? Fraud? Deception? Why stop at trying to get a free iPhone that you, yourself damaged? Maybe you should try to break into an Apple Retail Store and liberate some merchandise, after all, it's just a big evil American corporation.

Maybe if you're angry at corporate America you should pick a different company to angst on than Apple? Maybe one that has actually done some horrible thing that you feel you need to get back at them about?

K then, bye bye.

yum114

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
As he said - it is your responsibility how you treat your equipment. I would expect most pieces of electronics to show some form of damage if I drop it. That is not the company's responsibility.

By the way - I would recommend against washing your iPhone - even once. I guarantee you will not like the result - and I'm sure it will be Apple's fault... :p

lol u know what I meant though. And I dont recall ever dropping any piece of my electronics.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas

Probably as much fault as there is for people buying more house than they can realistically afford or not realizing that adjustable rate loans will inevitably adjust. :)

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Some of you whiners are funny about how horrible corporations are for not letting you trade your broken junk for free stuff.

Sounds like you guys want communism. Here ya go, free communist phone, you didn't need those fancy phones anyway.

OBJ1023.jpg

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
Microsux however, are not so flexible when it comes to xbox claims, and this was one of the biggest reasons I did not get another xbox after mine died. I will buy the PS4 when it comes out for the same reason and will never go back to an MS console.

Really i though microsoft's warranty on the xbox was really good. Mine was 3 years out of warranty when something went wrong. All i had to was pay $120 and no matter what they would fix or give me a new one. As well as that i got a another 12 months warranty. Pretty good considering it was out of warranty.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Nice try - I have nothing to do with subprime loans - neither does Apple. Want to pick another example to support your argument?

You like your Apple products - but you will take any opportunity to lie and cheat them. I would hate to see how you would treat a company when you don't like their products...

What a philosophy... I'm going to screw them because it is possible that they could screw me - even though they have not... :p

The numerous people who have issues with their phone that have nothing to do with a tripped water sensor and Apple refuses to replace it?

The insanely high price of SMS?

ATT forcing people into 2 year contracts despite a pre-paid phone.

ATT taking back refunds because people disagree w/ the company.

Numerous trips to Apple Store w/o reimbursement for the time and gas.

Would you like more? My sub-prime example was simply to show you that corporations are not good ... regardless of their fuzzy, marketing created image.

You choose to take the side of companies who commit such acts, why? What is your defense? By being on the lookout and supporting your fellow consumers, you just might be able to affect some change. Instead, you choose to take the side of a faceless, cold corporation.

Why? What do you have to get out of it? Their lowered prices? B.S. They are Legally Obligated to ensure that they charge the highest possible price to ensure the most profit.

That's your excuse?

What about being an honest and upstanding citizen? I'm not saying that lying about water damage (which - by the way is just one example I cited. More common seems to be people returning scratched screens which they, themselves damaged) is going to lead to the moral decay of society as we know it. But the underlying philosophy, integrity and moral compass we choose to follow is very telling.

That's a lovely attitude - screw others before they screw me.

The implications of that attitude are scary - genuinely scary to me when you look at the big picture.

People complain about the healthcare industry? Look at how it gets abused by dishonest people (doctors AND patients)

People complain about taxes? Look at how it gets abused.

I'm not holier than thou - but I'd like to think that I'm contributing to the successes and betterment of society in general - not it's degradation.

By being an honest and upstanding citizen, you get nothing except taken advantage of. It is sad, but that is the world we live in. I personally wouldn't lie about water damage and think it is wrong to do so. However, there are plenty of people who have tripped the water sensors and have a non-related issue. Because of the spying conducted by corporations, there is no recourse. They will flatly refuse to fix a non related issue, to spite a flaw in manufacturing.

I'm not out to screw others. I simply do not want to be screwed. When you are dealing with companies, you need to assume that they are not going to be helpful. It's not their job to be. They are there to make money, not to help you. When given the change, they will most likely choose to protect their bottom line than help a customer. No matter if they were going to end up being a loyal customer.

Our health care problem is the US is caused by corporations wanting to suck the last dollar out of dying people. Example, Example, Example, Best Example

I can offer more if you'd like.

Taxes are taxes. We need to pay them for services. People complain, but need to understand that is how we pay for and fix things we all use.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Ok - let's take the water issue off the table.

Let's look at all the people that want an exchange because they've scraped, dropped, scratched something cosmetically on their phone within the first few days and feel entitled to a brand new device because they screwed up

Are you sincerely going to tell me they are entitled to lie/steal from Apple? Please TRY and justify that one.

Konz

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Seriously, some of the iPhone users are such babies... it makes me wonder what they're doing with an expensive piece of technology in the first place.

I don't wanna pay the full price even though I upgraded 11 months ago!
Waaaaaah!
I don't care if I signed a contract agreeing to that!
Waaaaah!
I don't want to take care of my belongings!
Waaaaah!
Somebody call the whaaaambulance!!

:rolleyes:

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Ok - let's take the water issue off the table.

Let's look at all the people that want an exchange because they've scraped, dropped, scratched something cosmetically on their phone within the first few days and feel entitled to a brand new device because they screwed up

Are you sincerely going to tell me they are entitled to lie/steal from Apple? Please TRY and justify that one.

I'm not. If they scratched it, that is their problem. They should have put a case on it.

However - under normal use, it shouldn't scratch the glass. If a user does take care of his/her phone and it scratches due to a problem with the glass, Apple is not inclined replace it.

I'm not crazy about this kind of stuff. I do however feel that we should have a level of suspicion before taking the side of a company. Our default position should be with the customer, as we are all customers too.

I still didn't read anything that entitles you to lie and cheat your way to something you don't deserve...

I don't see how a company's POTENTIAL lack of a moral compass excuses an individual's immorality.

I like your BS thing. I was going to say how happy I am that we can have a nice, civil discussion on the interwebs. Guess that went out the window.

Civil discourse must have went out with sticking up for your fellow man.

No were have I encouraged cheating your way to something you didn't purchase. (Deserving is a whole other matter...) Perhaps that is why you failed to see my justification of it?

There isn't a potential lack of anything. It's mandated by law. How can one person be expected to act morally and rationally when the other party is mandated not to?

Again, that doesn't condone or endorse fraud. It does however point out a flaw in your argument. Why would you choose to side with a corporation over your fellow man? Is SJ going to send you an iPhone for arguing the company stance? The only thing that argument entitles you to is Apple refusing to fix your iPhone due to a falsely tripped water sensor.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
It does however point out a flaw in your argument. Why would you choose to side with a corporation over your fellow man?

I can think of several reasons to side with a corporation over a consumer, especially now that the current crop of consumers is so whiny and irrational.

Perhaps he's an investor with a stake in Apple.

He might not have an irrational bias against corporations and might not believe every company is out to screw us all.

He might believe corporations actually drive our economy and keep people employed, and without them, we'd be in even more trouble.

He could possibly believe that these "evil corporations" are, oddly enough, staffed by real, everyday people who go to work and do their jobs the best they can and didn't get to where they are by screwing people.

PackFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
I was going to say how happy I am that we can have a nice, civil discussion on the interwebs. Guess that went out the window.

No - it's just that you give NO CREDIBLE REASON for trying to lie and cheat your way to something you don't deserve. You keep giving the same reason.

Evil corporations - so that gives you the right to be evil in return.

Just admit it - you have no decent moral compass. That's fine. I would just prefer people choose to live better than that.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I'm not. If they scratched it, that is their problem. They should have put a case on it.

However - under normal use, it shouldn't scratch the glass. If a user does take care of his/her phone and it scratches due to a problem with the glass, Apple is not inclined replace it.

I'm not crazy about this kind of stuff. I do however feel that we should have a level of suspicion before taking the side of a company. Our default position should be with the customer, as we are all customers too.

So obviously it should be you, as final arbiter, who determines whether or not an exchange is justified. :rolleyes:

Apple is a massive corporation selling millions of phones. They have to strike the balance between being fair and getting taken advantage of. Something that seems to totally escape you.

So I should pay more so that someone else, who is less careful than me, gets a break and gets a new phone when they screw up? That's what insurance is for, and if they don't have any (articles policy, etc) don't expect me to "stick up" for them.

Kind of reminds me of those ads on TV about how XYZ Sleaze Co will settle your tax burden for pennies on the dollar.

I sure feel sorry for those tax dodging cheats who want to settle their tax burden for pennies, when honest people like me get to pay our fair share.
:mad:

The only thing worse is when they come on places like MR and brag about it, or make fun of people who aren't cheating the system.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
The problem is some of these people go through life destroying things and not taking care of anything. This scheming and scamming is a defense mechanism for them to survive, because without it they would have no money and no possessions.

It would be nice if everyone would just take a moderate amount of responsibility for their own actions and suck it up when they make a mistake or do something wrong, but nope, someone, anyone but themselves, has to pay the price for them screwing up. This fact is compounded by the fact that these people screw up many fold more often then the rest of us, so they end up being retail terrorists.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Well said Marksman

Fleshman - I want to thank you for justifying embezzling to me. Now I know it's ok to stick it to the mean corporations since they are only out to screw me.

Are you also one of those people that when they accidently break something at the supermarket just walks away instead of telling someone so they can clean it up?

Or one of those people that leaves their tray at a table or their popcorn under their seat because someone else gets paid good money to clean up after you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.