scratched screen!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mentaluproar, Aug 23, 2011.

1. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

My new iPad 2 has a scratched screen. :(

I dont understand how it happened. I always keep the smart cover on it when its not in use, I don't use a stylus, I don't have razor-sharp talons, but today i found a deep scratch going across the beautiful screen!

I really don't like screen protectors. I have tried them before and find they make the screen feel like rubber, preventing my finger from being able to flick across. Very grabby. They have also been unnecessary so far. My iPod touch screens never got scratched up, and they have never been in cases. The back on my 2nd gen and this 4th gen are really scuffed up, but I don't mind that.

Are these screens more delicate than the iPod touch screens? Should I get a screen protector even though I already have a deep scratch?

2. scorpionfalcon macrumors newbie

Unfortunately the iPad screens can get scratched unexpectedly. My old iPad 2 was babied and still ended up with a scratch. I even washed my hands before I used it most of the time in case there might have been sand or anything abrasive on my fingers. In had that replaced due to major light bleeding. You better believe I put on an invisible shield on the new one. The small degree of tackiness is nothing compared to the piece of mind it offers.

3. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I got a scratch by my camera. It looks like it may have been the cleaning rag I use for it (maybe something got stuck to it). Luckily, no scratches on the visible portions.

I like to use my devices naked, the way they were meant to be used. Though I do keep ghost armor on my iPhone 4 because it tends to touch more abrasive things, I don't want to put anything on my iPad. I like the way the glass feels.

I do wonder if there is a good way to fix scratches though. Didn't someone on this forum use a belt sander to do that once?

Anyway, to the original question: I don't see the point. Now you got the worst of both worlds, a scratch on your screen AND a screen protector with a rubbery feel. What are the odds you will get more scratches? And will they really be that much bothersome if you already got a big one?

4. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I have the same problem. I think this is what Apple needs to work on. However if they put a thicker or stronger glass on top of the iPad. This might add the weight on the iPad as well :(

So yea the iPad screen is pretty week compare with the iPhone.

5. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I'd much rather have a few scuffs of well worn usage on my iPad than worry as much as some of you seem to do...

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope, they're the same in terms of delicacy.
    The iPad and iPhone have an oleophobic (antifinger print) coating on the screen to help reduce smudging. The iPod Touches do not (even the current 4th generation model). Your screen isn't really scratched, rather than oleophobic coating on your iPad is. I found the oleophobic coating fairly easy to damage compared to not having one at all on my iPhone too. I'd probably put a screen protector unless you can live with the effects of using it as is. You did say that you didn't like them though, so I'd just use it as is.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that the oleophobic coating wears off after sometime ...
    [​IMG]

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

PowerSupport HD Anti-Glare is very smooth and anti-friction. Finger glides across better than the stock glass.

Completely different than the ZAGG type films.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

Can't for the life of me figure out how this happens. I've owned an iPhone 4 since it was released and carry it with me constantly, usually in the back pocket of my jeans and with a simple Belkin clear case on it. I have never had any issue with the coating wearing off. Ditto my iPad 1. Use it daily for 2-3 hours (or more, and more still when traveling) never had an issue with the coating.

9. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

This makes sense, except I can actually feel the scratch with my nail.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Some do. Some do not. Not all screen protectors are identical. My iPad2's SGP screen protector (can't recall which one exactly) is nothing like what you describe. It does describe the Invisible Shield and similar screen protectors though.

11. lovefang macrumors newbie

i am using screen protector,so i dont care that.
    i am using screen protector for all my devices

12. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Well, what protector would you recommend to hide the existing scratch, protect the screen, feel smooth, and not look like I rubbed turtle wax on the screen?

13. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Have to agree. I always find it a bit of a relief when I get the first bit of 'damage' on a new piece of equipment. It means I can relax!

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

Bought iPad 1 in August last year, got an inch scratch in middle of screen sometime beg of that sept. Now that scratch has extended to about 3 inches... doesn't really affect the use and is hardly noticeable but the idea does bother me. Oh well... I'll buy the iPad 3 in march 2012 :)

15. ninerfan macrumors regular

MentalUproar, it occurred to me that perhaps a ring you were wearing accidentally touched the screen, causing the scratch. I am super careful of exactly that scenario cuz I hate screen protectors also!!

16. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Lol @ razor sharp talons.

Just get over it, or try to get it replace.

17. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar