Scratched.......:(

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fighterinsnatch, Jul 27, 2008.

1. fighterinsnatch macrumors newbie

I let my g/f take it to the gym and she brought it back with a small rainbow shaped scratch on it. She does'nt think it was her but I beg to differ. I've only had it for a month and already have an annoying scratch on it.

Will my 1year warranty do anything?

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Where is the scratch? On the glass or the back of it? If the back of it, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is on the glass, I can't imagine Apple doing anything for you either as it wasn't something they did (It didn't come to you like that when you first opened the box).

3. fighterinsnatch thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah its on the screen. Its just unfortunate because she did'nt drop it or anything. I'm just bummed and regretting not having a screen protector.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage. Even if they did, they still would not replace it over a small scratch.

5. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

The only thing you can try is taking it to the Apple store and seeing what they will do (Since glass is supposed to not be able to be scratched). However, I highly doubt they will replace it for you because of that. It was a user mistake, not their own, so they have no reason to replace it for you. It had to be a pretty darn good scratch, as I had an original iPhone for over a year, always had it in my pocket, and never had anything close to a scratch on my glass.

6. aosman macrumors 6502

If it really really really bothers you, sell it and get another one...:confused:

7. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

8. fighterinsnatch thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to take a picture right now.

Its really not that big but when I rub my finger across the screen I want to feel complete smoothness.

Just so everyone knows I'm not complaining that Apple probably won't replace it under the warranty. I was just wondering if they would. I also realize that this was a user accident.

9. fighterinsnatch thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Thats tiny, just get a screen protector put it over it see if it covers it, it will make it smooth again at least

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

How on earth did she scratch the screen?

I've had mine sitting in my pocket with all sorts of stuff since the day they arrived in Australia and there's not a mark on the screen. The back is scratched to crap though it's got a fancy sticker on it with a picture of a robot playing fetch with a dog.

12. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Glass can be scratched, easily. The iPod touch screen is promoted as being scratch resistant; if you really want to and you try hard enough you will be able to scratch it.

13. bbbensen macrumors 6502

GelaSkins?

Have that one for my iPod Video. :p

14. JL7 macrumors member

15. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Dude.... its really tiny! But still, I understand how annoying it can be<sigh>

16. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

What is on the iPhone/touch is not your regular glass so you know. It does have special coating and it is indeed "almost" scratch resistant. My iphone's screen got a small scratch although i treat it like sh*t and throw it with all sort of things.

17. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as it doesn't impair the functionality of it. Though I agree, gotta love it when you lend something to someone and it comes back broken. Especially if it's something you've had for years and never managed to break or damage.

18. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

The one common thing found in pockets that will scratch an iPod Touch screen is not keys, knives, drill bits...but sand.

I would put a screen protector on it, you very well may not be able to see the scratch at all with the protector on it. It will also protect the screen from future scratches.

I hate getting scratches on the iPod Touch screen, so I know the feeling. But you just have to get over it, it obviously isn't that big or anything. Slap a screen protector on it and see how it looks.

19. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Yup - good advice right there. I got my touch back in October and even though I was mega-careful with it I managed to get a similar scratch after a few weeks.

I then applied a screen protector and to my surprise I could no longer see the scratch!

So don't dump her just yet ;)

Rod.

20. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

So, to answer your thread, no, there isn't really a way to fix it. Just learn from the mistake, slap a screen protector on there, and treat iPods in the future with greater care :D

21. 7on macrumors 601

7on

So you think a piece of plastic would be stronger than glass? Trust me, if whatever scratched it can scratch glass, it'll easily shred through the plastic and cause the same scratch on the glass.

22. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

You talking about the screen protectors there?! That depends on the type I guess... but certainly the one I use (invisible shield) is extremely robust and definitely won't shred like you say.

Rod.

23. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

The screen protectors won't just shred like that. They are softer, and will actually resist scratches from certain things, like probably sand.

Obviously if you jab a steak knife right into your iPod Touch, it will probably break through the protector. But a screen protector is good at preventing the little random incidents that might scratch the glass screen (like a few grains of sand in your pocket.)

Of course in time you could end up with a lot of little scratches on the screen protector, but then you just get another one for $5 or so. I bought a pack of 5 on EBay for around $6, and they work just fine.

24. Suncusser macrumors member

I got one of those thicker plastic screen protectors from the Apple Store. Went down on gravel while rollerblading with it in my pocket and put a gouge in the grey bezel and a deep scratch in the screen protector. Peeled it off and the screen was unblemished. Would not have been protected by the usual soft plastic ones. Definitely worth it. I can stand the scratch on the metal but it would have driven me crazy to have scratched the glass. I also no longer skate with it in my pocket.

25. cokids macrumors member

REmoving scratches

NewEgg sells a product that claims to polish out scratches from Touch screens. I have never used the product and am NOT an employee of NewEgg, but saw it the other day when window shopping Touch items. I have a Palm screen that is worn from too much game playing. I might buy it to see if it'll polish out the Palm wear. Anyone tried anything like this?

Beth

Can't remember what it's called, but search and yee shall find!