Scratches, again

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rmoliv, Feb 12, 2018.

1. rmoliv macrumors regular

Do you also notice trillions of microscratches on the sides of your Apple TV 4K? They’re only visible under intense light as under a flashlight. I wonder whether it is due to dust rubbing on the surfaces when I clean them with a microfiber cloth. The material they used on the sides is a dust magnet though after less than 1 sec after cleaning it’s full of dust again.

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

My Apple TV has been under my TV since I plugged it in there
    Haven't bothered to look to see if it has any scratches, with or without a flashlight, and I certainly wouldn't be cleaning it with a microfiber cloth

So that would be a hard no to your question: "Do you also notice trillions of microscratches on the sides of your Apple TV 4K?"

3. The All American macrumors newbie

It’s velcrowed to the back of my TV. I couldn’t even tell you what it looks like

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Of course it's scratched, unless you live in a 100% sterile environment, dust will always be there and being a glossy finish, it would scratch.

But then again, Apple TV is one of a few Apple products that I don't care that much what it looks. It's a kind of device that I plug and forget, as long as it works. I watch my TV shows and movies, not the box.

So yeah it has scratches but I don't care.

5. rmoliv thread starter macrumors regular

Mine is under the TV as well.
    The glossy finish on the sides is elegant design-wise but a acts like a vacuum cleaner: all the dust gets on there. I think Apple should pay attention to such details given the price tag of their products.
    Here's a picture of my Apple TV 4K where you can clearly see the dust and the micro scratches I talk about which are all over the glossy sides (see inside the red circle where the flash highlighted them).

[​IMG]

6. protobiont macrumors 6502a

You should have left the protective plastic on.

7. rmoliv thread starter macrumors regular

How so? I had to remove it as it was covering the ports.

8. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

He is winding you up and pointing out that your obsession with scratches on this and your other devices is just a tad on the extreme side

9. StoneJack macrumors 65816

StoneJack

should left in the box. Would be in pristine condition

10. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

But what to do about those pesky microscratches on the shrink wrap?

11. Scott Davilla macrumors regular

Scott Davilla

12. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502a

Dude! I really think you need to get out more! :)
    Go travelling and things like Apple TV won't matter to you, let alone dust scratches! You'll see life in a totally different perspective! :)

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Same here. I won't notice any scratches.

14. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

15. Cell-666 macrumors 6502a

If you are concerned about micro scratches, which were there in the first place as the plastic isn’t polished to a mirror finish. The I would make sure you enter you house wearing dust suits and hair nets.
    I can’t seriously believe you are complainning about this happening to the ‘elegant design’ as you put it. It’s a cheap plastic product not a premium aluminium and glass product, let’s say costing in the region $1200. Wonder who produces a product like that which gets covered in scratches quite easily?

16. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

I hate piano finish surfaces that scratch if you just breath on it wrong. I use to get upset but now I don't care after I posted this about the Roku 3 back in the day.

I hide my streaming devices so when the glossy get scratched it no longer bothers me.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2018 ---
    Only remove the plastic from the back and leave it on the sides.