Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frank.avilla08

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Has anyone experiences some scratches on the side of the iPad because of the smart cover? I have a scratch because it looked like something was sticking out of the smart cover and now it scratched the aluminum .. :mad:

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Has anyone experiences some scratches on the side of the iPad because of the smart cover? I have a scratch because it looked like something was sticking out of the smart cover and now it scratched the aluminum .. :mad:

You probably got a bit of metal filing or something attracted to the magnets, that then rubbed between, I had something like that so got a small mark now.

Frank.avilla08

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
You probably got a bit of metal filing or something attracted to the magnets, that then rubbed between, I had something like that so got a small mark now.

That's EXACTLY happened.!! It bothers me seeing since I try to protect my iPad with my life, just until I find I good cover.

Did you expect it to never get scratched?

Just until I find a cover that's worth my money ;)

Just picture I tiny bit of the aluminum off on the side wher the magnets are..:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I knew it would only be a matter of time before we start seeing this complaint. This is the only reason I held off on a Smart Cover. I have a zip up folio case that works well with the smart cover and protects the back of the iPad, but I couldn't bear to have those little aluminum hinges scratching my iPad.

I bought a $10 silicon back protector. Fits my iPad 2 like a glove and maintains the thin profile. My zip up hard case was another $10. So for $20 I got maximum protection and there are no parts of either of the cheap-o ebay accessories that can scratch my iPad.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Almost all the marks I see around the hinge on my smart cover end up easily removed when I clean it. I haven't noticed any actual scratches in mine.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Exactly.
I knew the smart cover was going to scratch the moment I saw the stupid way it attached.
I'd be surprised if it had not caused some people to drop the iPads also.

What I would do it to stick some really thin matt clear tape along the edge of your iPad that would be pretty much invisible, and it would stop the chance of any scratches.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Exactly.
I knew the smart cover was going to scratch the moment I saw the stupid way it attached.

What I would do it to stick some really thin matt clear tape along the edge of your iPad that would be pretty much invisible, and it would stop the chance of any scratches.

They should have COATED those little magnets in rubber instead of putting the little strips on the inside. I may have bought one then. But that metal on metal stuff doesn't sit well with me. I like my iPad 2 pristine.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Exactly.

Well, there's a classy solution! You should be out in Cupertino. :)

No scratches on my launch day iPad 2 with smart cover.

Last edited:

Aurelfr22

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011

Exact same thing happened to me !!! A tiny spicky thing got trapped and rubbed the ipad... There is a scratch now right under the magnet bit! Quite annoyed considering the price of the smart cover i was expecting better...

riam

macrumors regular
May 7, 2010
Mty, Mexico
I installed stealth guard matte protective cover and now the magnets attach over the cover it works great and you scratch protect all the back of the iPad and you still can use the smart cover this, was my solution to keep my iPad as original and as thin as possible, the bad thing it does not protect it if thou drop it.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
ONE person gets a tiny scratch and all of a sudden everyone KNEW this would happen. Too funny

The cover works fine, it has magnet's which everyone knows , and it probably picked up something in your travels .

Take it to the Genius bar and see what they say.

We'd all like to hear the response, film it or voice record it if you can.

Frank.avilla08

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Exact same thing happened to me !!! A tiny spicky thing got trapped and rubbed the ipad... There is a scratch now right under the magnet bit! Quite annoyed considering the price of the smart cover i was expecting better...

Exactly

Frank.avilla08

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
ONE person gets a tiny scratch and all of a sudden everyone KNEW this would happen. Too funny

The cover works fine, it has magnet's which everyone knows , and it probably picked up something in your travels .

Take it to the Genius bar and see what they say.

We'd all like to hear the response, film it or voice record it if you can.

Just for you i'm going to upload the picture that you want ;).

It looks small but when you have to see everyday it gets to you. Especially knowing that you payed $40 dollars for something thats suppose to give a good look to a device.

Attachments

• IMG_20110616_215321.jpg
    IMG_20110616_215321.jpg
    690.2 KB · Views: 140

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I'll be buying a full case for mine tbh, those smart covers seem pretty bad to me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.