Scratches - How is your iPhone 3G one month on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i0Nic, Aug 12, 2008.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

To the people who don't use cases/skins on their iPhone 3G, how is your iPhone doing in terms of scratches? Did you have an iPhone 2G, how does it compare to that?

Don't forget to state which colour iPhone you have, let's see if there's any differences between the two models in terms of their scratch-ability or more importantly, how it hides them.

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

black

very minor on the back (hardly noticeable), nothing on front. Carried in pants pocket (but never with anything else in the pocket), was dropped once by a friend from about a foot onto concrete.

3. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

I got the White one and it is holding up very well. I have just a few tiny scratches on the chrome trim but the back looks as good as new. The apple logo has a tiny tiny tiny scratch but it is barely noticeable and the screen is like new. I slide in a Sena leather sleeve when I can but alot of times it just goes right into my pocket. (alone) :D

4. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

None on my black Iphone 3G. I have been handling it very carefully. I did finally find a case I liked yesterday though. So now I don't have to worry as much.

5. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

black

Looks good as new but this may have to do with getting my three-week-old iPhone swapped for a new one at the Apple store yesterday after it went to error 1604 heaven.

6. ColonelSmith macrumors member

I have a white one. The back is flawless but I have a few minor scratches on the chrome. I'm thinking about investing in an invisible shield full body film

7. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

I have a Black 3G, no permanent case or Invisible Skins, but I do have a Marware CEO Premier holster to carry it in. Smudged like you wouldn't believe (it is hard to keep these looking clean), but no obvious scratches after three weeks. And I'm not one to "baby" my phone.

8. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I got mine three weeks ago. It's white. No case or skin, but when I'm putting it my pocketbook instead of a pocket, it goes into an iPod sock.

No scratches whatsoever. It looks exactly the same as when I got it. I'm pretty anal about how I treat it, though yesterday I did let a four year old friend get his grubby little hands on it yesterday. :eek: :p

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I got mine on the 11th of July. No scratches except on the shiny Apple Logo on the back. BTW mine is a black, 16GB. It's spends most of it's day naked, except when I'm traveling then it stay's in my DLO belt clip.

10. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

The only scratch I have is from my case, strangely enough.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

not too bad.

Attached Files:

12. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

My black 16GB is doing surprisingly well.
    Looks almost brand new!
    & I carry it around in my pants pocket.

13. rannddeee macrumors regular

you're either very rich and can afford to treat expensive things like that or that's a damn nice photoshop job.

i put mine in an extra sunglass case/sleeve that i have then i just put it my pocket. no matter how hard you try, that chrome trim will get scratched. i'm thinking of doing the brush trim with a scotchbrite like someone else did in another thread but im afraid that the apple store will not exchange it if something happens to it :(

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Not even carrying your phone around in a bag of rocks would cause that many scratches, and I'd probably have a hard time treating even a PoS phone like that....

15. Brett3rThanU macrumors regular

Black here, bought it on July 11. Lots of tiny scratches, mainly noticeable on the Apple logo, plus several larger more noticeable ones slightly larger than an inch. I carry it in a holster for work and pants pocket other times, no case.

16. Tvp125 macrumors newbie

No scratches to report on my white iPhone. I am taking better care of this one unlike my old 4gb which was scratched up pretty bad after one year.

17. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

White phone. Apple logo on back has a good amount of scratches and if I hold the phone at certain angles, I can see 2-3 scratches on the white plastic, but they are still not that noticeable. No scratches on bezel or front. :)
    I keep my phone on my counter all day, unless using it and carry it in my front jeans pockets daily unless the occasional rarity that I put it in the leather sleeve when I dont have pockets.

18. Cask Guest

Just a few scratches on the chrome, it was scratchless until a couple of weeks ago when I put it in the Griffin Wave Case.

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Like most people, just minor scratches on the chrome. It's always in a case. I found out with the original iPhones, it's impossible to not have the chrome scratch at all, even in a case since dust will still get in there. I just don't worry about it.

20. vega07 macrumors 65816

yeah...you guys need to stop obsessing over the chrome scratches. they are inevitable.

i just got the white iphone recently. to all those who have had the iphone for 3+ weeks, how is the white plastic holding up compared to the original iphone (in terms of scratches, of course)?

21. Zephgx macrumors member

Lets see... White iPhone

2 Scratches on the back, chrome has 2 scratches and a scuff at the bottom section, black bezel is scratched at the bottom, home button has a horizontal line half way (Apple's Earphone microphone part scratches the phone. Never put them in the same pocket ever)

So much for me handling my iPhone well :(
    Time to get bodyguardz :)

22. cohenspire macrumors member

I have a white iPhone that was naked for 3 weeks and now has a foofpod on it. It has 2 nicks in the back from when i dropped it and a few small scratches on the bezel. There is one small scratch on my screen from when it flipped over and slid on the asphalt, but you cant see it when you are using the phone and i didn't even notice it for 2 weeks.

23. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

black iPhone.

No scratches on the plastic. Only very minor scratches on the metal band around the screen.

24. Oman macrumors regular

I should not have any scratches, I have the Belkin Leather Laminate Case and I have not taken it out since I put it in... :apple:

25. philgilder macrumors 68000

black iphone
    one tiny scratch on back, a few small ones on the chrome apple logo, if viewed in the correct light
    applied my full body films today, love it! hopefully it will stop any further ones