Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
So what are peoples' opinions on the backs of the iPod touch getting scratched?

I have had three iPod touch's. The first was a 1G, which I did hate seeing get scratched. The second was a 1G refurb, which replaced the original when it screwed up. This one already had several small scratches when I received it from Apple, so it didn't really bother me if they got worse.

Now, with my 2G touch. The moment I got it I put it in a case. And then I realised the light leak, blah, blah, sent it off to Apple and all that (I think I've complained about it enough on these forums :p). When I got it back, the once pristine back was now absolutely messed up, with scratches everywhere.

I honestly don't like my iPod as much as I used to now. It's still in it's case just for the sole fact that I don't have to always look at the scratches (though it's not as if protecting it is going to do any good now), although I find myself pulling it out every few days just to look at the scratches and get reminded why I'm slowly beginning to dislike Apple more and more.

I really don't understand how they can do this to, first, a product that the company they work for produced and, second, to something that they do not own, something that another person has paid a lot of money for. My parents bought it for me as a graduation present, and they're equally as pissed at Apple for treating the iPod the way they did.

Anyway this is turning into a rant, sorry :eek:

What do other people think about scratches on the iPod's backplate?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I'm sorry, but when I use my iPod Touch it's usually face forward. In other words the backside doesn't do me any good.

Haha, good point. I was talking to my friend about it and how, for a time when I got it back, I didn't use a case at all (as I said, I only use it now to hide the scratches); they were saying "but aren't you worried about the back?" and I was replying with "well as long as it does what it's supposed to do, it's not as if people instantly pick up iPods and look at the back...", so I guess complaining about it is a bit hypocritical :p

I guess I'm just more pissed at the fact that Apple damaged something that wasn't theirs to damage, I probably wouldn't care if I'm the one that scratched it to hell...but as it is, I didn't :eek:

jmann4489 said:
Just get an invisible shield and it will always look new. I've done that with all my ipods, and it makes them easier to sell for more.

My parents have told me whenever I get an iPod that I didn't buy myself I have to give the old one to my sister...a bit unfair when they forced me to give her my 1G 1GB nano that I got as a BIRTHDAY PRESENT, and that apparently when I get a job next year (as I said, I've only just finished school) and perhaps buy another iPod, I have to give this one to her as well...despite the fact this one was a graduation present...I mean, technically isn't a present, and a birthday one of all things, something that becomes yours when it's given to you? It totally nullifies the meaning of the word :p

The point of that story...it's not as if I'd be allowed to sell it anyway, and my sister totally screws "her" iPods up anyway, I looked at my old iPod touch that I gave her about two months ago, and you'd never be able to tell the thing was reflective on the back. Not to mention the gouges on the screen (and out of all my iPods, even the nano that was apparently infamous for scratches on the front, I haven't had a single scratch on the front)...makes me wonder what she does with it...

jmann

macrumors 604
Haha, good point. I was talking to my friend about it and how, for a time when I got it back, I didn't use a case at all (as I said, I only use it now to hide the scratches); they were saying "but aren't you worried about the back?" and I was replying with "well as long as it does what it's supposed to do, it's not as if people instantly pick up iPods and look at the back...", so I guess complaining about it is a bit hypocritical :p

I guess I'm just more pissed at the fact that Apple damaged something that wasn't theirs to damage, I probably wouldn't care if I'm the one that scratched it to hell...but as it is, I didn't :eek:

Did Steve Jobs come into your room in the middle of the night and scratch your ipod with his car keys? How can you blame apple for your scratched ipod? Yeah it's not the most scratch resistant thing, but blaming the apple for your ipod getting scratched from normal wear and tear isn't going to fix it. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't understand your logic. :rolleyes:

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Annoying as it is to have an expensive item scratched you have to try and put it in perspective and try to move on. Granted that us Apple owners care for our products more so than other computer users and hence a closer attachment to our items of enjoyment. That's just how us Apple users are. I too wish Apple had of used a more durable backing for our iPods instead. But in saying that I can say the same thing for my car, my computer and other items I would love to dearly keep in their original condition. My new car has scratches and marks that annoy me but I have moved on and try to focus on the enjoyment of driving the car. Same can be said for my iPod that I focus on the enjoyment of playing it rather than the imperfections on the outside. I hope you continue to enjoy your iPod in the future and maybe one day someone at Apple will bite the bullet and make changesto the backing but until then enjot it as everything has a limited life and that means even our beloved iPods :)

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Did Steve Jobs come into your room in the middle of the night and scratch your ipod with his car keys? How can you blame apple for your scratched ipod? Yeah it's not the most scratch resistant thing, but blaming the apple for your ipod getting scratched from normal wear and tear isn't going to fix it. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't understand your logic. :rolleyes:

- I receive my iPod, check it out. Not a scratch on the thing, I put it in a case.
- I see there is dust inside the unit and that there is a light leak on the right hand side. I contact Apple and they tell me to send it to them for service.
- There is no way it could have been damaged in the box it got sent it, Apple requires it be sent in a padded box with the iPod itself wrapped in bubble wrap. Not a scratch on it when it's sent.
- I get an email from Apple, the iPod has been serviced and is currently in the process of being returned.
- I get the iPod back in a box packaged the exact same way it was sent in, so once again it could not have been damaged by the box in anyway.
- Unwrap the iPod from the packaging -- scratches all over the thing.

The only place it could have happened is at Apple when it was getting serviced, unless somehow someone decided to just randomly open my package somehow when it was on it's way to or from Apple. The only place, logically, the damage could have happened is at Apple. I'm not to blame, and it's unfair if people think I'm just in denial about it. I take care of my things and honestly will not stand for people calling me a liar.

If you read my first post, which also happens to be the first post in this topic, you'll realise the iPod actually was in the possession of Apple for a time during the period in which I've owned it.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
They may have given you a refurbished iPod instead of the one you sent in. I would be sort of pissed if I were you too. My advice is to go into an Apple Store, explain your situation to the manager, and see what happens. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a nice manager, who'll swap your 'Pod out for a new one. And the worst case scenario is you walk away with the same iPod you brought in.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
They may have given you a refurbished iPod instead of the one you sent in. I would be sort of pissed if I were you too. My advice is to go into an Apple Store, explain your situation to the manager, and see what happens. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a nice manager, who'll swap your 'Pod out for a new one. And the worst case scenario is you walk away with the same iPod you brought in.

Nah, it's the exact same iPod. The email even said "technicians have performed tests on your iPod and have been unable to replicate the problem, as a result your iPod is being returned to you...", and I immediately checked when I got it back and it has the same dust in the exact same places, and light leaking from the exact same spot...how Apple even missed it is beyond me. The thing is, based on what I've seen from other touch owners and even iPhone 3G owners that have the problem, an Apple Store would give out a replacement no questions asked, as long as they can see the leak...the closest Apple Store to me is on the other side of the country (over 3000km away), so it won't exactly do me any good.

big-blue-wolf

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
15.8 miles from Molineux
Sorry I guess I just fail to see where it says that you sent in your 2g for service. You just simply said you put your iPod in case the moment you got it. Anyways I would be pissed too if I sent in one of my apple products and it came back damaged.

Try looking in post 1

Now, with my 2G touch. The moment I got it I put it in a case. And then I realised the light leak, blah, blah, sent it off to Apple and all that (I think I've complained about it enough on these forums :p). When I got it back, the once pristine back was now absolutely messed up, with scratches everywhere.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 583

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
iPod's will get scratched no matter what...
It's just a fact of life and I've learned to deal with it.

I too put my 2G iPod touch in a case right after I opened it.

One day my iPod was in the bathroom while I was taking a shower.
When I got out I took it out of it's case and there were little circular scratches.
I believe it's from the precipitation drying on it.

On another occasion I was very surprised to see my 6G iPod classic scratched up.
It had always been in a hard case and one day I took it out and there were a sh*t load of scratches.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
It's just a fact of life and I've learned to deal with it.

I too put my 2G iPod touch in a case right after I opened it.

One day my iPod was in the bathroom while I was taking a shower.
When I got out I took it out of it's case and there were little circular scratches.
I believe it's from the precipitation drying on it.

On another occasion I was very surprised to see my 6G iPod classic scratched up.
It had always been in a hard case and one day I took it out and there were a sh*t load of scratches.

This same thing happened with my 5G iPod. It doesn't really bother me much since I don't look at the back of my iPods often, and I never keep them in cases. Although there is the occasional instance where I have to check my reflection, and I don't have a mirror :D Then it becomes a hassle.

Edit: Unfortunately, this is just what happens with the material the backs are made out of. It's always been an issue with the iPods. I think it would be impossible, in the case of the iPods, for Apple not to scratch the back. As has been mentioned, it takes no more than about fifteen minutes of owning it to start to get scratches. It sucks, but it's how the iPods are. My Macbook's dented battery on the other hand...that pissed me off when Apple did it.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
It's just a fact of life and I've learned to deal with it..

That's not true at all, when I sent it in for service it had not a single scratch on it, three weeks after I bought it.

kwk1

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Canada
Did you or are you going to send them a complaint e-mail about the scratches?
That's bogus, I'd definately want a new one after that horsecrap!

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Did you or are you going to send them a complaint e-mail about the scratches?
That's bogus, I'd definately want a new one after that horsecrap!

I've sent an email, I've sent two written letters (a couple weeks apart because I never heard back) and I've even gone so far as to write an email to the various Steve Jobs email addresses that he apparently uses -- not a reply from anybody.

I'm becoming really disappointed in how Apple treats their customers in regards to these things...

I'm actually thinking of writing a letter with the link to this thread attached, as the general consensus appears to be that Apple did indeed screw up and that I should be compensated for their actions.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
its not right that it came back to you in such a state. If you call up apple and get to a higher tier of support you may be eligible for some sort of good will gesture and a new ipod.

I know that when my mac pro came back with a twisted and chipped case with sawdust inside it, they game me a free wacom tablet, ipod touch 32gb, ipod nano, ipod shuffle and some money back. (and of course a new mac)

I know that this is a different case, and took a while to get resolved, but surely it would be worth a shot for you?

ps. if you do get a new ipod out of it, i really would try not to be bothered by the scratches. when i first got an ipod i wrapped it up in a case, and then a month later realised that I was missing out on one of my favourite parts of owning one...its looks! From that day i uncased it, and let it get scratched. Then when I looked at it, it had the marks of use, marks that had shown that i really enjoyed using it. (BTW it lasted for 2 years out of the case before i got the sad face)

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I'm mainly annoyed at the fact that it wasn't theirs to damage. I own it, it's mine to treat how I want, and as it is I'd like it protected as much as possible. If it got scratches that were caused by me then I'd learn to deal with it like I have with my other iPods...it's just the fact that someone else did it when the iPod was supposed to be getting fixed that's pissed me off.
I'll try getting in touch with Apple again on Monday.

Out of curiosity, where do you live? Also, are you sure there isn't a closer store?

I'm certain. Until June this year there wasn't even a single Apple Store in Australia. Now there's three - two in Sydney and one in Victoria. And of course, I happen to be in Western Australia...on the other side of the country.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Is there a point of this thread? Apple had the right to handle the product. It's normal wear/tear. They didn't take sandpaper and start sanding it, they just tested it. They won't baby the thing but they will be careful that they do not damage the important components, such as the screen. Quit whining about scratches, it's part of life. If you spend this much time and effort over a few scratches on a iPod, what would you do if your shoes wore out? Or your car got banged up in an accident? Or your house got damaged by termites? MacRumors is starting to turn into MacWhiners.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Is there a point of this thread? Apple had the right to handle the product. It's normal wear/tear. They didn't take sandpaper and start sanding it, they just tested it. They won't baby the thing but they will be careful that they do not damage the important components, such as the screen. Quit whining about scratches, it's part of life. If you spend this much time and effort over a few scratches on a iPod, what would you do if your shoes wore out? Or your car got banged up in an accident? Or your house got damaged by termites? MacRumors is starting to turn into MacWhiners.

"A few scratches"? The entire back is nothing BUT scratches. I think I have reason to be pissed off because it really does look as if they did use sandpaper on it. As I've said many times it's NOT theirs to damage.

And so far you're the only one that thinks there is no problem with what Apple did.

Maybe I should start whining about the dent that it had when it was straight out of the packaging? Don't believe me? Search the topics I've made and you'll find one where I mention that was a problem like with the light leak and the dust. I could handle that at first, but how they've treated it this time has gone too far, IMO. Apple has screwed me over big time with this iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.